Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box/Quartet of Torment

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box/Quartet of Torment

#1 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:46 am

IT WILL TEAR YOUR SOUL APART

Stephen King was once quoted as saying: “I have seen the future of horror… his name is Clive Barker.” That future became reality when, in 1987, Barker unleashed his directorial debut Hellraiser – launching a hit franchise and creating an instant horror icon in the formidable figure of Pinhead.

Barker’s original Hellraiser, based on his novella The Hellbound Heart, follows Kirsty Cotton (Ashley Laurence) as she comes head-to-head with the Cenobites – demonic beings from another realm who are intent on reclaiming the soul of her deviant Uncle Frank.

Picking up immediately after the events of the original Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II finds Kirsty detained at a psychiatric institute and under the care of Phillip Channard, a doctor who abuses his position to realise his own dark aims. In Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, a reporter investigating a mysterious death at a nightclub finds herself in the way of Pinhead and the Cenobites, who plan to bring their horrifying world into our own.

Coming at a time when the genre was degenerating into self-parody, Hellraiser offered a fiercely unique vision that approached its horrors with a far greater degree of seriousness than many of its contemporaries.. Along with its sequels, the Barker-produced Hellbound and Hell on Earth, Arrow Video is proud to present some of the most terrifyingly original films in the history of horror in brand new 2K transfers.

4-DISC ULTRA HD LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
Brand new 4K restorations of all four films from the original camera negatives by Arrow Films
Ultra High Definition (2160p) presentations of all four films in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original lossless stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio for all four films
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Ages of Desire, an exclusive 200-page hardback book with new writing from Clive Barker archivists Phil and Sarah Stokes
Limited edition layered packaging featuring brand new Pinhead artwork

DISC 1 - HELLRAISER

Brand new audio commentary featuring genre historian (and unit publicist of Hellraiser) Stephen Jones with author and film critic Kim Newman
Archival audio commentary with writer/director Clive Barker and actor Ashley Laurence, moderated by Peter Atkins
Archival audio commentary with writer/director Clive Barker
Power of Imagination – brand new 60-minute discussion about Hellraiser and the work of Clive Barker by film scholars Sorcha Ní Fhlainn (editor of Clive Barker: Dark Imaginer) and Karmel Kniprath
Unboxing Hellraiser – brand new visual essay celebrating the Lament Configuration by genre author Alexandra Benedict (The Beauty of Murder)
The Pursuit of Possibilities – brand new 60-minute discussion between acclaimed horror authors Paula D. Ashe (We Are Here To Hurt Each Other) and Eric LaRocca (Everything the Dark Eats) celebrating the queerness of Hellraiser and the importance of Clive Barker as a queer writer
Flesh is a Trap – brand new visual essay exploring body horror and transcendence in the work of Clive Barker by genre author Guy Adams (The World House)
Newly uncovered extended EPK interviews with Clive Barker and stars Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, Ashley Laurence, and effects artist Bob Keen, shot during the making of Hellraiser, with a new introduction by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
Original 1987 Electronic Press Kit
Being Frank: Sean Chapman on Hellraiser – archival interview with the actor
Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellraiser – archival interview with the iconic actor about his first appearance as ‘Pinhead’
Soundtrack Hell: The Story of the Abandoned Coil Score – archival interview with Coil member Stephen Thrower
Trailers and TV spots
Image gallery
Draft screenplays

DISC 2 - HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II

Brand new audio commentary featuring Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
Archival audio commentary with director Tony Randel, writer Peter Atkins and actor Ashley Laurence
Audio commentary with director Tony Randel and writer Peter Atkins
Hell Was What They Wanted! – brand new 80-minute appreciation of Hellbound, the Hellraiser mythos and the work of Clive Barker by horror authors George Daniel Lea (Born in Blood) and Kit Power (The Finite)
That Rat-Slice Sound – brand new appreciation of composer Christopher Young’s scores for Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II by Guy Adams
Archival on-set interview with Clive Barker
Archival on-set interview with cast and crew
Behind the scenes footage
Being Frank: Sean Chapman on Hellbound – archival interview about the actor’s return to the role of Frank Cotton
Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellbound – archival interview with the iconic actor about his second appearance as ‘Pinhead’
Lost in the Labyrinth – archival featurette featuring interviews with Barker, Randel, Keen, Atkins and others
Trailers and TV spots
Image gallery

DISC 3 - HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH

Alternative Unrated version (contains standard definition inserts)
Brand new audio commentary featuring Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
Archival audio commentary with screenwriter Peter Atkins (Theatrical Cut only)
Archival audio commentary with director Anthony Hickox and actor Doug Bradley (Unrated Version only)
Previously unseen extended EPK featuring interviews with Clive Barker and Doug Bradley
FX dailies
Time with Terri – archival interview with actor Paula Marshall
Raising Hell on Earth – archival interview with director Anthony Hickox
Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellraiser III – archival interview with the iconic actor about his third appearance as ‘Pinhead’
Theatrical trailer
Image gallery

DISC 4 - HELLRAISER: BLOODLINE

Brand new audio commentary featuring screenwriter Peter Atkins, with Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
The Beauty of Suffering – brand new featurette exploring the Cenobites' connection to goth, fetish cultures and BDSM
Newly uncovered workprint version of the film, providing a fascinating insight into how it changed during post production
Hellraiser Evolutions – archival documentary on the evolution of the franchise and its enduring legacy, featuring interviews with Scott Derrickson (director, Hellraiser: Inferno), Rick Bota (director, Hellraiser: Hellseeker, Deader and Hellworld), Stuart Gordon (director, Re-Animator, From Beyond) and others
Books of Blood and Beyond: The Literary Works of Clive Barker – archival appreciation by horror author David Gatwalk of Barker’s written work, from The Books of Blood to The Scarlet Gospels
Theatrical trailer
Image gallery
Easter egg

colinr0380

Re: Hellraiser: the Scarlet Box

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:13 pm

It is great to see those 1970s short films by Clive Barker included. Salome and its fateful pacts has its connection but The Forbidden in particular is kind of a proto-version of what would become the more fleshed out story of The Hellbound Heart and Hellraiser, with a wonderful nod towards the Vesalius anatomy pictures at its conclusion!

kidc85

#3 Post by kidc85 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Does HELL ON EARTH (or any of the sequels) come close to the original two films?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Hell on Earth has some neat visuals and is crafted a little better than the first 2 but they turn Pinhead into a Freddy Krueger type. Plus the back story to the character kind of ruins things. One of the straight to video sequels (Inferno I think) tries to do something a little different with the premise and it's actually effective. The rest are awful, though, the last one being the worst (and that's still comparing it to the one that takes place in the video game )

zeroism

#5 Post by zeroism » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:26 pm

It would be nice if something could be included which looks at the (ultimately rejected) music that the band Coil was commissioned to create for the first film, the history surrounding that and Clive Barker's relationship with them. There are interviews floating around the web (audio and text) in which the band claims that some of the imagery in the film (including Pinhead's design) was inspired by materials on body modification, etc that Barker had seen when he stayed at their home. Stephen Thrower would of course be an ideal contributor/interview subject for this since he was a member of Coil during that period - including, I'm fairly certain, the time these pieces were recorded.

Adam X

#6 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 am

The DVD of the epic Leviathan documentary features just that: a short piece with Stephen Thrower on Coil's involvement.

zeroism

#7 Post by zeroism » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 am

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Adam X

#8 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:53 pm

You're welcome.

nolanoe

#9 Post by nolanoe » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:47 am

This is exciting - but not as exciting as a Director's Cut of Hellraiser IV would be.
Still, plenty exciting! I miss INFERNO in the set, though.
Damnit, I am a negative nancy today...

Adam X

#10 Post by Adam X » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:40 am

jesus wept!.
With Phil & Sarah Stokes' involvement, the book's almost worth the price on its own. This looks to be a pretty stunning set.

nolanoe

#11 Post by nolanoe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Amazing.

I am unsure whether or not to order it... I do know I won't watch 3 and the Bonus Disc much, but the book and 1+2... #-o

Adam X

#12 Post by Adam X » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Personally, I'd say the latter easily makes up for the badly ageing part 3, though it has its moments. Glad to see the uncut version included, and the deleted scene from Hellbound is quite a coup. Even in recent interviews with Doug Bradley & Nicholas Vince, I'm pretty sure they both said the surgery scene went no further than a photo.

I do wish it'd been possible to include Hellraiser: Bloodline in this set (completing the films Clive Barker & Peter Atkins were involved with) but what's here is wonderful.

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:...and the deleted scene from Hellbound is quite a coup. Even in recent interviews with Doug Bradley & Nicholas Vince, I'm pretty sure they both said the surgery scene went no further than a photo.
I think I have an old VHS tape somewhere around that actually used that image of Pinhead in the surgical gear on its back cover, teasing a moment that never appeared in the film itself!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#14 Post by Drucker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:43 am

** STOCK UPDATE : HELLRAISER THE SCARLET BOX **
Our Limited Edition Hellraier boxset is now out of print and has been removed from sale on the Arrow Store.

Stock is still available with some retailers via the links below so if you were planning to pre-order this set do try and act soon to avoid disappointment!

Find it on Amazon.co.uk here: http://amzn.to/1NBSAhi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Find it on HMV here: http://bit.ly/1NBSXIH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Find it on Zavvi here: http://bit.ly/1NBSB4Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nolanoe

#15 Post by nolanoe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:16 pm

I will definitely go through this, but probably stick to renting. Poor me.

As for HR - yeah, it's a shame - but hey, Some day, maybe 4, 5 and 6 will be released together. I really like Inferno, and I do hear 6 is "decent" now and then. I never liked Bloodlines much, but who know how that DirCut really could look...

Mr Sausage

#16 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Hellseeker (number 6) is a very repetitive movie, but at the end it turns out to be a direct sequel to the first two Hellraiser movies. If it's worth seeing at all, it's for that.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26 am

manicsounds

#18 Post by manicsounds » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:48 am

Seems out of stock everywhere, just before release date.

MichaelB

Hellraiser: the Scarlet Box

#19 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 am

The box sold out a fortnight ago (see Drucker's post above). Arrow have confirmed that the first three discs will get separate releases in 2016.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#20 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:06 pm

manicsounds wrote:Seems out of stock everywhere, just before release date.
Amazon has it listed back on sale from "Unavailable" like yesterday when I checked.
Edit: Back to "Unavailable" now. At least we know buyers are out there for reselling your set.

Arrow

#21 Post by Arrow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Anyone who ordered this on Amazon have it ship yet? Or has there been a delay that I missed?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#22 Post by cdnchris » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:07 pm

I can't cancel my order now so it appears it's preparing to ship.

Arrow

#23 Post by Arrow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:26 pm

cdnchris wrote:I can't cancel my order now so it appears it's preparing to ship.
Mine is still able to be cancelled and I spoke with a representative who stated they are waiting on more stock from the suppliers. I suspect that means I'm not getting it, which is a little disappointing given my preorder date was July 25th.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#24 Post by cdnchris » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:37 pm

Has it shipped for anyone anywhere? I'm looking at various sites and I haven't seen any obligatory "mine shipped!" messages.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:42 pm

As with the recent limited BFI noirs, I'd wait a few weeks for Amazon to get stock from wherever it's coming from before going into panic mode