The Jacques Rivette Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Satori

Re: The Jacques Rivette Collection

#476 Post by Satori » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Satori -- Where did you find a subbed version of Up Down Fragile? The only subbed version I ever heard about (but never actually saw) was a very expensive VHS tape version (now long out of print).
My school library has the 1997 VHS release. But I also have a version from back channels with fan subs. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info about that.

This is one of the Rivettes on the huge list of titles purchased by Cohen, right? When it does finally come out, I really think its stature will grow a lot. Along with Va Savoir, it is by far the most fun of his "late" work.

Adam X

#477 Post by Adam X » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 am

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I may wait for the Cohen releases to try a couple of the films suggested above, for those not available at my work's library (it's handy working at a uni that has a school of Film & TV sometimes).

nolanoe

#478 Post by nolanoe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:30 am

As one of the few people on here who seem to love Rivette unconditionally, I feel like I should add that it took me a while and a whole retrospective to get into his work. I previously didn't see what's so special about Duelle and C&J... - but after watching so many of his films in close succession, I understood what they're about. Large parts of his work focus on the failure of the 68-uprising and aim at sort of a creative process to highlight that. Improvisation may be his method of choice, but it also highlights what's so wrong with the self-indulgent political agenda of that era. Noroit, in a way, is an extension of Out 1, which in turn is an extension of Paris Belongs to Us.

I am surprised people are put off by Duelle - it's, to me, one of the key cinematic works of the last century, the missing link between Mulholland Drive and Touch of Evil... or something... I am not too knowledgable on Noir to make a more striking comparison, sorry...

I recommend, too, for those who are yet to be swayed to go for Gang of Four, Secret Defense and Marie et Julien... - all outstanding.

Speaking of, the only Rivette I didn't like AND didn't finish is Up Down Fragile. Didn't click whatsoever.

rapta

#479 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32 pm

This is being ported over to the US minus all the Out 1 discs (and presumably most of the Out 1 specific booklet content too) on May 23rd.

So that's Duelle, Noroît and Merry-Go-Round (3xBD, 2xDVD), and a perfect-bound book. Sounds like they're using Amarays rather than digipacks this time, as reversible artwork is mentioned in the specs:
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of all three films from brand new 2K restorations of the films
• Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
• Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
Scenes from a Parallel Life: Jacques Rivette Remembers – archive interview with the director, in which he discusses Duelle (une quarantaine), Noroît (une vengeance) and Merry-Go-Round
Remembering Duelle – Bulle Ogier and Hermine Karagheuz recollect their work on the 1976 feature
• Interview with critic Jonathan Rosenbaum, who reported from the sets of both Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît (une vengeance)
• Exclusive perfect-bound book containing writing on the films by Mary M. Wiles, Brad Stevens and Nick Pinkerton plus a reprint of four on-set reports from Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît (une vengeance)
• Reversible sleeves with original and newly commissioned artwork by Ignatius Fitzpatrick

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#480 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 pm

hearthesilence

#481 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:25 pm

All right! Perfect as I already have the U.S. Out 1 box!

justeleblanc

#482 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 pm

rapta wrote:This is being ported over to the US minus all the Out 1 discs (and presumably most of the Out 1 specific booklet content too) on May 23rd.

So that's Duelle, Noroît and Merry-Go-Round (3xBD, 2xDVD), and a perfect-bound book. Sounds like they're using Amarays rather than digipacks this time, as reversible artwork is mentioned in the specs.
Wonderful! Will this be another Carlotta/Kino release?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#483 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:20 pm

No, it's Arrow US.

justeleblanc

#484 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 pm

THE JACQUES RIVETTE COLLECTION (Arrow website)

SRP of $99 seems awfully high for a 3-film, not sure what their reasoning might be for this.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#485 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm

That's what Criterion charges for most of its 3-film sets.

TMDaines

#486 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Welcome to the pricing the US market seems to bear. Criterion, Cohen, Arrow and even Kino and Twilight Time are all there or thereabouts.

justeleblanc

#487 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:53 pm

I stand corrected. I never buy Criterion boxsets at SRP anymore, so I may be a bit out of the loop.

I'm not sure where things stand with a C&J Blu ray from NYer, but my hope was that high sales for Out 1 and Duelle might encourage the rights owners to move a bit faster (with more confidence) in regards to a C&J Blu. A $99 boxset wouldn't seem to help things...

... but then the sales of the Arrow box probably doesn't matter all that much when deciding to release C& on Blu.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#488 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:56 pm

I don't usually buy Arrow sets at SRP either. There are opportunities to get them for at least half off as well.

Noiretirc

#489 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I really hate to ask stupid questions, I'm sure the answer is obvious but I am just not seeing it..... Are the 3 films in this Out1less box region free? Thanks in advance.

Also, I find it quite fascinating that most of the last few pages in this thread reflect a rather negative view of Out 1, after initial pages of mostly monumental praise. I think it's The Trump Effect.

I'm due for a second viewing of both Out 1 and Spectre. Spectre is a brilliant reworking of Out 1 material into a very different (and equally magnificent) film. I think I'll view Spectre first this time.

PianoMan88

#490 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Noiretirc wrote:I really hate to ask stupid questions, I'm sure the answer is obvious but I am just not seeing it..... Are the 3 films in this Out1less box region free? Thanks in advance.

Also, I find it quite fascinating that most of the last few pages in this thread reflect a rather negative view of Out 1, after initial pages of mostly monumental praise. I think it's The Trump Effect.

I'm due for a second viewing of both Out 1 and Spectre. Spectre is a brilliant reworking of Out 1 material into a very different (and equally magnificent) film. I think I'll view Spectre first this time.
As per the details on the Arrow US website of this release, the three films will be Region-Free.

Noiretirc

#491 Post by Noiretirc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:02 am

Ah, the "details" button. Thanks.

TMDaines

#492 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:03 am

Noiretirc wrote:I really hate to ask stupid questions, I'm sure the answer is obvious but I am just not seeing it..... Are the 3 films in this Out1less box region free? Thanks in advance.

Don't know what the Trump effect is, but would suggest it's because the thought of watching it and the idea of what it could be then meets reality.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#493 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 am

"The Trump Effect" is the idea that (racial) bullying has run rampant in kids in the wake of President Trump's ascension to power. I assume it was just a joke, but the answer to the thread's sea change is pretty simple: it can be intimidating to be the first dissenting voice on the forum where everyone else is so fervently positive, but once someone says it, others feel more comfortable expressing their criticisms

hearthesilence

#494 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am

It's now going for $53.52 on Amazon (the U.S. edition without Out 1) which is more reasonable. I'm not sure how many times I'd watch this though, so I'm still reluctant to buy.

dda1996a

#495 Post by dda1996a » Fri May 26, 2017 2:46 pm

I would sell mine once I got through the other films and what remains of Out 1, but I'm waiting for it to sell out so I can get a bit more. Having recently overcome my fear, I watched Rivette's Va Savior and though it was fine I think I might give the stand alone films a chance.
Out 1 is incredibly disappointing and tedious. Part of the excitement was finally getting a "holy grail" of cinema, which turned to be the emperor's new cloths. I would much rather have had a Tarr Blu ray box with Satantango or an Angelopoulos if you ask me. Couldn't even finish Out 1

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#496 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, some of us find Out 1 (taken as a whole) quite intriguing and enjoyable -- and could care less about its reputation. I enjoyed the low-grade Italian-subbed-only version -- and enjoyed the restored version even more. To be sure, there are portions that drive me batty (many of the long rehearsal sequences, but not all of them). I maximized Out 1's chance of success with me by treating it as a series. Never would consider watching it on one day (or even two).
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Fri May 26, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#497 Post by Ribs » Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 pm

I like to imagine the discourse here is above such snide remarks as the emperor having no clothes - this is a revered classic, a body of esteemed critics and filmmakers have put it there and how they felt is still entirely genuine and not some lie. For whatever reason, the pattern of discussion that tends to come about for any major release like this seems to be 1. long, sustained discussion about a possible release 2. release 3. no discussion 4. everybody actually hated it. The Ludwig thread is a less significant extension of this same principle (one I myself didn't really care for, either, but I spent three weeks watching it episodically which I've come to feel was a mistake), but I'm not nor is anyone else going around saying Visconti's got no talent - we're simply expressing what we feel works about this individual work in the scope of his career and style. This set had no potential ramifications on a Bela Tarr box set, and Bela Tarr is far more well known to a generally informed cinephile audience in comparison to Rivette, to my mind.

It's a little weird that, after this set, your first inclination for Rivette was to opt for Va savoir instead of one of his other two masterpieces that are easily available on BD (Paris Belongs to Us and Le pont du nord). I've not seen the film you've mentioned but I think Pont du nord in particular doubles as a useful training exercise for the kind of film (more or less) that Out 1 is.

hearthesilence

#498 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 26, 2017 9:25 pm

I would expect anyone who loves Rivette (at least pre-'80s Rivette) to love Out 1 because it really is the apotheosis of his work. Not just the darker aspects of it but also the humor - again, the "big" reveal of Out 1 was such a hysterical pay-off to me that it, alone, justified the extraordinary running time. The fact it took that many hours to get to that revelation made the joke all the more hilarious.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#499 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Va Savoir was my introduction to Rivette. I loved it when it first came out -- and I still love it. Very different from Out 1, in some ways -- but still enjoyable (and has Rivette's single funniest scene ever).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#500 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Va savoir was also my first, because at the time, it was the only Rivette out on DVD in the states (or maybe the only one on Netflix?). I found it not worth the time I put into it, which sounds familiar...