The Jacques Rivette Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

reaky

The Jacques Rivette Collection

#1 Post by reaky » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:24 pm

The Jacques Rivette Collection brings together some of the director’s hardest to see works, each restored, newly translated and debuting on home video for the first time in UK.
Out 1 is one of the crowning achievements of Rivette’s remarkable career. Conceived as a television mini-series, this near-thirteen-hour monolith consists of eight feature-length episodes revolving around two theatre troupes, blackmail and conspiracy. Multiple characters introduce multiple plotlines, weaving a rich tapestry across an epic runtime.
Originally screened just the once in its full-length version in 1971, Out 1 was then re-conceived by Rivette as a four-and-a-half-hour feature. Making use of alternative and unseen footage, the director renamed this version Out 1: Spectre as an acknowledgement of its shadow-like nature. Both are presented in this boxed-set, fully restored and with newly-translated English subtitles.
Complementing Out 1 are two ‘parallel films’, Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît. The former sees Rivette head into fantasy territory: the Queen of the Sun (Bulle Ogier) and the Queen of the Night (Juliet Berto) search for a magical diamond in present-day Paris. The latter is a loose adaptation of The Revenger’s Tragedy and a pirate tale, starring Geraldine Chaplin (Nashville, Cría cuervos). Also included is Merry-Go-Round, in which Joe Dallesandro (Flesh for Frankenstein) and Maria Schneider (The Passenger, Last Tango in Paris) are summoned to Paris, kickstarting the most surreal of all Rivette’s mysteries.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new 2K restorations of the films with Out 1 supervised by cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn
Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
The Mysteries of Paris: Jacque Rivette’s Out 1 Revisited – a brand-new feature length documentary by Robert Fischer and Wilfred Reichart containing interviews with actors Bulle Ogier, Michael Lonsdale and Hermine Karagheuz, cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn, assistant director Jean-François Stévenin and producer Stéphane Tchalgadjieff, as well as rare archival interviews with actors Jacques Doniol-Valcroze and Michel Delahaye, and director Jacques Rivette
Scenes from a Parallel Life: Jacques Rivette Remembers – archive interview with the director, in which he discusses Duelle (une quarantaine), Noroît and Merry-Go-Round, featuring additional statements from Bulle Ogier and Hermine Karagheuz
Brand-new interview with critic Jonathan Rosenbaum, who reported from the sets of both Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît
Exclusive perfect-bound book containing new writing on the films by Mary M. Wiles, Brad Stevens, Ginette Vincendeau and Nick Pinkerton

furbicide

Re: Jacques Rivette

#2 Post by furbicide » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:37 pm

reaky wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:24 pm
Arrow have tweeted a picture teaser of "Jack" + "Rivet." Could this mean an Out 1 box?
I wouldn't have thought so. Aren't Carlotta Films bringing out their boxset in a few months?

If it is a Rivette film, perhaps it'll be L'Amour Fou or one of his late-'70s films (Noroit/Duelle/Merry-Go-Round). Now that'd be exciting!

RossyG

#3 Post by RossyG » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 am

Carlotta don't release films in Britain.

Calvin

#4 Post by Calvin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 am

furbicide wrote:I wouldn't have thought so. Aren't Carlotta Films bringing out their boxset in a few months?

If it is a Rivette film, perhaps it'll be L'Amour Fou or one of his late-'70s films (Noroit/Duelle/Merry-Go-Round). Now that'd be exciting!
They are, but a Rivette release would almost certainly be an Arrow Academy title and therefore UK only.

There are restorations of Duelle, Noroit and Merry-Go-Round that have yet to be released and I'd be equally happy to see them.

furbicide

#5 Post by furbicide » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:28 am

I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

Given the global nature of the modern DVD industry, though, it would be a bit weird for two different companies in the UK and US to release such a massive project at the same time, wouldn't it? I presume most of us here have multi region players and wouldn't exactly be inclined to get two copies of the same film.

Personally, I don't understand why nobody in the anglosphere has done anything about L'Amour Fou. Surely one of Rivette's most important films, and every bit as important as Out 1 or Celine and Julie. There was a lovely remaster of it done a couple of years ago, I think (at least the version I saw was very good quality), so there's no excuses, really.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6 Post by Drucker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:06 am

Actually, as our own MichaelB has reiterated time and again, the larger the restoration/undertaking, the MORE likely it is to be released simultaneously in multiple regions. Making back money on physical media sales is one of the ways these restorations are funded in the first place.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:14 am

The very first project I ever produced, the Quay Brothers shorts compilation, was presold from the start to ED Distribution in France and Zeitgeist in the US. Virtually all the creative work was done in the UK - in fact, the ED version is pretty much a French-language clone of the BFI release, while Zeitgeist merely changed the menus but otherwise used my content - but the project wouldn't have been possible without their financial commitment.

Arrow's The Fury was an in-house restoration but jointly funded by them, Carlotta and Shock in Australia - and if Twilight Time hadn't already released their own disc, they'd most likely have been involved too.

And with Borowczyk, we had to go down the Kickstarter route because no other label could be persuaded to join forces and the cost was too great for Arrow alone to bear.

cinemartin

Re: Arrow Films

#8 Post by cinemartin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:16 pm

There has been rumor that Rivette will be represented at some point. Could one of these releases be Out 1?

Calvin

#9 Post by Calvin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:18 pm

cinemartin wrote:There has been rumor that Rivette will be represented at some point. Could one of these releases be Out 1?
Out 1 would be the Academy release, if it does indeed come to pass.

I'd put a fiver on one of those Arrow Video releases being a Battles Without Honor and Humanity box set

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:19 pm

They've confirmed in a reply to me that the 15 discs will be across just the two US/UK stuff, not the whole set of releases.

Given neither of the many disced sets are an Arrow Academy title in the UK I doubt one of these would be Out 1, and the term "truckload of films" wouldn't really apply for one, very long film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:20 pm

There are still many, many Rivette films lacking in English-subbed releases, it could still be a Rivette box. Indeed, shouldn't we be hoping their Rivette title(s) isn't Out 1, since we know that one is for sure coming to English friendly Blu-ray regardless?

Calvin

#12 Post by Calvin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:There are still many, many Rivette films lacking in English-subbed releases, it could still be a Rivette box. Indeed, shouldn't we be hoping their Rivette title(s) isn't Out 1, since we know that one is for sure coming to English friendly Blu-ray regardless?
Agreed. I never thought I'd be in the position of hoping something isn't Out 1, but those restorations of Duelle, Noroit and Merry-Go-Round aren't going to release themselves.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#13 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Calvin wrote:
cinemartin wrote:There has been rumor that Rivette will be represented at some point. Could one of these releases be Out 1?
Would it, though? Although Academy seems like the logical label to release this title, the fact that Arrow isn't releasing that line the US may force it to the regular Arrow Video label if rights were secured in both regions.

Ribs

#14 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:28 pm

The policy for stuff like La Grande Bouffe has been to have it be Academy in the UK and Video in the US.

Calvin

#15 Post by Calvin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:29 pm

jindianajonz wrote:
Calvin wrote:
Would it, though? Although Academy seems like the logical label to release this title, the fact that Arrow isn't releasing that line the US may force it to the regular Arrow Video label if rights were secured in both regions.
We know that Carlotta will be releasing it in the US

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#16 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Ribs wrote:The policy for stuff like La Grande Bouffe has been to have it be Academy in the UK and Video in the US.
Calvin wrote:We know that Carlotta will be releasing it in the US.
I stand doubly corrected!

Ribs

#17 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:06 am

So, um-

The Jacques Rivette Collection brings together some of the director’s hardest to see works, each restored, newly translated and debuting on home video for the first time in UK.
Out 1 is one of the crowning achievements of Rivette’s remarkable career. Conceived as a television mini-series, this near-thirteen-hour monolith consists of eight feature-length episodes revolving around two theatre troupes, blackmail and conspiracy. Multiple characters introduce multiple plotlines, weaving a rich tapestry across an epic runtime.
Originally screened just the once in its full-length version in 1971, Out 1 was then re-conceived by Rivette as a four-and-a-half-hour feature. Making use of alternative and unseen footage, the director renamed this version Out 1: Spectre as an acknowledgement of its shadow-like nature. Both are presented in this boxed-set, fully restored and with newly-translated English subtitles.
Complementing Out 1 are two ‘parallel films’, Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît. The former sees Rivette head into fantasy territory: the Queen of the Sun (Bulle Ogier) and the Queen of the Night (Juliet Berto) search for a magical diamond in present-day Paris. The latter is a loose adaptation of The Revenger’s Tragedy and a pirate tale, starring Geraldine Chaplin (Nashville, Cría cuervos). Also included is Merry-Go-Round, in which Joe Dallesandro (Flesh for Frankenstein) and Maria Schneider (The Passenger, Last Tango in Paris) are summoned to Paris, kickstarting the most surreal of all Rivette’s mysteries.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new 2K restorations of the films with Out 1 supervised by cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn
Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
The Mysteries of Paris: Jacque Rivette’s Out 1 Revisited – a brand-new feature length documentary by Robert Fischer and Wilfred Reichart containing interviews with actors Bulle Ogier, Michael Lonsdale and Hermine Karagheuz, cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn, assistant director Jean-François Stévenin and producer Stéphane Tchalgadjieff, as well as rare archival interviews with actors Jacques Doniol-Valcroze and Michel Delahaye, and director Jacques Rivette
Scenes from a Parallel Life: Jacques Rivette Remembers – archive interview with the director, in which he discusses Duelle (une quarantaine), Noroît and Merry-Go-Round, featuring additional statements from Bulle Ogier and Hermine Karagheuz
Brand-new interview with critic Jonathan Rosenbaum, who reported from the sets of both Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît
Exclusive perfect-bound book containing new writing on the films by Mary M. Wiles, Brad Stevens, Ginette Vincendeau and Nick Pinkerton

Calvin

Re: The Jacques Rivette Collection

#18 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 am

*faints*

ZizouJuve

#19 Post by ZizouJuve » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 am

Interestingly enough, its noted as being Region Free in the Arrow Video store.

Not really sure that makes sense but surprisingly none the less if true.

Ribs

#20 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:12 am

As noted in the entry, the early bird £10 discount expires in only two weeks so be sure to put your money down ASAP.

(I used my rewards points and managed to get it for an even $100, a steal)

I didn't even notice it'll be Region Free, like the Yoshida set! Astounding all around.

Red Screamer

#21 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:28 am

Wonderful news. Arrow added on Facebook that the book is turning out to be around 200 pages long.

cinemartin

#22 Post by cinemartin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:30 am

You gotta be shitting me

EddieLarkin

#23 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:35 am

Criterion who?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#24 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:35 am

Ribs wrote:As noted in the entry, the early bird £10 discount expires in only two weeks so be sure to put your money down ASAP.

(I used my rewards points and managed to get it for an even $100, a steal)

I didn't even notice it'll be Region Free, like the Yoshida set! Astounding all around.
Same here, bringing it down to $70 \:D/

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:36 am

Incidentally, that is NOT the official artwork - it was mocked up very quickly this afternoon in time for the announcement. Hence the Arrow Video logo (this is very definitely Arrow Academy) and the misspelling of Noroît.

But all will be corrected prior to the release.