Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

What A Disgrace

Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Woman on the Run (Arrow Academy) Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

Region: B/2

Thanks to the efforts of the Film Noir Foundation, this terrific film noir, the only American print of which was burned in a 2008 fire, has been rescued and restored to its original lustre!

This nervy, shot-on-location thriller featuring a stunning performance from Ann Sheridan (Angels with Dirty Faces, They Drive by Night), showcases one of the finest cinematic depictions of mid-20th century San Francisco.

After witnessing a gangland execution Frank goes into hiding, while his wife, Eleanor (Sheridan), and the cops go on a wild chase around San Francisco before Frank is silenced by the mob. Eleanor is certain she’ll lead them to her husband, whose testimony against the killer could bring down a crime kingpin. But Eleanor and her Frank are separated - she never wants to see him again. When roguish newspaperman Danny Legget (Dennis O’Keefe, T-Men, Raw Deal) charms Eleanor into helping him track down the hidden husband - there are unexpected, stunning, and poignant results.

Restored by the Film Noir Foundation in conjunction with UCLA Film & Television Archive, Woman on the Run is finally made available in the UK for the first time on DVD and Blu-ray.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•Brand new restoration of original 35mm vault elements by UCLA Film & Television Archive
•Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
•Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Audio Commentary by author, historian, and “noirchaeologist” Eddie Muller
•Love is a Rollercoaster: Woman on the Run Revisited – a new featurette on the making of the film, from script to noir classic, produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation
•A Wild Ride: Restoring Woman on the Run – a stranger-than-fiction document of the film’s restoration, produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation
•Noir City – a short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco’s historic Castro Theatre
•Gallery featuring rare photographs, poster art and original lobby cards
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
•Booklet featuring new writing by Eddie Muller

Too Late for Tears (Arrow Academy) Dual Format Blu-ray

This 1949 classic is at long last available newly transferred from a 35mm print and painstakingly restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive.

Region: B/2

Rescued and preserved after a five-year crusade by the Film Noir Foundation, this 1949 classic is at long last available newly transferred from a 35mm print and painstakingly restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive.

When film noir icons like Lizabeth Scott (Dead Reckoning, Pitfall) and Dan Duryea (Scarlet Street, Criss Cross) collide, sparks are sure to fly!

Jane Palmer (Scott) and her husband Alan (Arthur Kennedy) mysteriously have $60,000 literally dropped in their laps. The circumstances seem mighty suspicious to Alan, who wants to turn the money over to the police. But in a materialistic rapture, Jane won’t let it go. She doesn’t care where it came from, or what danger might ensue - not if it will bring her the luxury she craves. Enter shady Danny Fuller (Duryea, as cocky and menacing as ever), who claims the money belongs to him. Let the games begin! Roy Huggins’ snappy script (adapted from his novel) is a complex, breezy and black-hearted homage to James M. Cain and Raymond Chandler. Rapacious housewife Jane Palmer is one of the juiciest female villains in Hollywood history, and Liz Scott’s best role ever.

Passionately championed by the Film Noir Foundation and newly transferred from archive elements by UCLA Film & Television Archive, Too Late for Tears is presented on home video for the first time in the UK.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•Brand new restoration of original 35mm vault elements by UCLA Film & Television Archive
•Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
•Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Audio Commentary by writer, historian, and film programmer Alan K. Rode
•Chance Of A Lifetime: The Making of Too Late For Tears – a new behind-the-scenes examination of the film’s original production produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation and featuring noir experts Eddie Muller, Kim Morgan, and Julie Kirgo
•Tiger Hunt: Restoring Too Late For Tears – a chronicle of the multi-year mission to rescue this “lost” noir classic produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation
•Gallery featuring rare photographs, poster art and original lobby cards
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
•Booklet featuring new writing by writer and noir expert Brian Light

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Appear to be a port of Flicker Alley's extras

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Pretty much, which is what I was expecting and even hoping for. Very glad I decided to wait.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4 Post by Drucker » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:13 pm

domino harvey wrote:Appear to be a port of Flicker Alley's extras
And at just over half the price. My pre-order at Amazon was $75. This looks like it should come to about $45.

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:52 pm

In for both. Nice work, Arrow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:04 pm

That Too Late For Tears cover is the worst Arrow cover I've ever seen

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:08 pm

domino harvey wrote:That Too Late For Tears cover is the worst Arrow cover I've ever seen
Worse than Sweet Smell of Success, Network, The Visitor, The Car, Blow Out, Forbidden Zone, or most of their early Academy titles (Miracle in Milan, The Conformist, The Tin Drum, Ashes & Diamonds, Rififi, Les Diaboliques, Bicycle Thieves, Spirits of the Dead)?

Compared to those, this one's a Picasso...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Pieces

beamish13

#9 Post by beamish13 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Woman on the Run is a phenomenal rediscovery. There's a sequence in an amusement park that just floored me when I saw it. It's incredible how perilously close we came to losing all of its celluloid elements; Universal's sole print (I don't even think they have the original camera negative) was lost in their horrible 2008 vault fire, but the BFI had an interpositive.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#10 Post by tenia » Sun May 29, 2016 5:35 am

I didn't expect that, but Beaver reviews shows that the 2 Arrow releases will be exact port of the Flicker Alley ones (down to the last byte). Even the booklets seems to have the same content.
On one hand, I'd have loved for Arrow to offer more, but on the other end, I'm glad they're here to allow for an easier and cheaper access to these releases.

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 29, 2016 7:28 am

beamish13 wrote:Woman on the Run is a phenomenal rediscovery. There's a sequence in an amusement park that just floored me when I saw it. It's incredible how perilously close we came to losing all of its celluloid elements; Universal's sole print (I don't even think they have the original camera negative) was lost in their horrible 2008 vault fire, but the BFI had an interpositive.
I loved the film when I saw it a decade or so ago, but the UK DVD presentation was one of the worst I've ever seen - it looked like a much-duped public domain copy. I seem to remember one review starting with "Yikes!".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:37 pm

According to a poster on Blu-Ray.com's forums, if you put the Arrow disc in a region A player, you'll get a Flicker Alley opening title card, and Arrow's if you put it in a region B player. I knew the disc content was identical but I guess this never occurred to me!

rapta

#13 Post by rapta » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:According to a poster on Blu-Ray.com's forums, if you put the Arrow disc in a region A player, you'll get a Flicker Alley opening title card, and Arrow's if you put it in a region B player. I knew the disc content was identical but I guess this never occurred to me!
Has anyone tried putting the Flicker Alley disc into a Region B player?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:06 pm

The discs are identical to the latest byte, but true, I didn't realise myself this could up to that point.
rapta wrote:Has anyone tried putting the Flicker Alley disc into a Region B player?
In all logic, same should apply and you should get the Arrow opening title card.

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:According to a poster on Blu-Ray.com's forums, if you put the Arrow disc in a region A player, you'll get a Flicker Alley opening title card, and Arrow's if you put it in a region B player. I knew the disc content was identical but I guess this never occurred to me!
Arrow's La Grande Bouffe and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne are similar - if you play them in the US, you get Arrow Video logos and menus, but if they're played in the UK it's Arrow Academy.

zedz

#16 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:27 pm

beamish13 wrote:Woman on the Run is a phenomenal rediscovery. There's a sequence in an amusement park that just floored me when I saw it. It's incredible how perilously close we came to losing all of its celluloid elements; Universal's sole print (I don't even think they have the original camera negative) was lost in their horrible 2008 vault fire, but the BFI had an interpositive.
Yes, this was a great little noir. The central idea is simple, ingenious, and is exploited for maximum suspense while also providing some nice little genre-mixing frissons in its subversion of a standard screwball comedy set-up. Ann Sheridan is sharp and Dennis O'Keefe gets plenty to do, there's lots of great San Francisco location footage, and all the characters are allowed to be shrewd and intelligent, figuring things out as soon as they have the necessary information rather than bumbling around in a shroud of stupidity until the plot gets them to the right place at the right time.

The climax is, as beamish13 noted, exemplary, and is characteristic of the resourcefulness of the production in its great use of the location. One particular 'prop' is better used here than in any other film I can think of:
SpoilerShow
The rollercoaster. Just about every characteristic of it (being locked in for a certain amount of time, screaming, isolation, provision of multiple vantage points, riding on a circuit, noise) is put to dramatic use for the climax, and a whole lot of other moving parts also come into play for the denouement: the dog, the incessant police presence, the medical mumbo jumbo that it's only the mysterious 'Y' factor that makes the husband's serious heart condition actually life-threatening, the crucial bit of knowledge that gives the killer away - which is, granted, overexplained, but I thought it was very effective that we were alerted that this would be the giveaway a few minutes earlier, as it added an element of suspense to the character interactions after that: when would the penny drop for Ann Sheridan?

Zaki

#17 Post by Zaki » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Can someone confirm whether the extra "Woman on the Run Locations Then and Now" is also on the Arrow Woman on the Run? It is included in the Flicker Alley edition of the film, but I did not see it in the Arrow contents.

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:42 pm

As confirmed above, the Arrow and Flicker Alley discs are literally identical, in that the machine-readable side was pressed from the same master.

Zaki

#19 Post by Zaki » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for your confirmation, Michael.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#20 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:35 am

IIRC though, while the discs are indeed the same in both releases (Region A players send to the FA menu, RB players to the Arrow one), the still galeries are only available through the Arrow menus.

steve99990_4

#21 Post by steve99990_4 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Zaki wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm
Can someone confirm whether the extra "Woman on the Run Locations Then and Now" is also on the Arrow Woman on the Run? It is included in the Flicker Alley edition of the film, but I did not see it in the Arrow contents.
Hi Yes, im from the UK and own the arrow version and can confirm that the locations extras is on the disk.

Gregory

#22 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:36 pm

That was asked and answered two years ago.