Dekalog and Other Television Works

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

rapta

Re: Dekalog and Other Television Works

#151 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Ack...kinda panicking a bit 'cause I honestly can't afford to throw down £45 to get this right now. Is there even a slight possibility of them releasing these separately later on, especially considering it has sold so well? Obviously without the booklet though.

Frustrating we weren't warned about this either. As some have already said, what's the point of giving us updates on ;imited edition stock if they missed off one of their more lucrative sets? Obviously the reviews came out and people jumped on it after hearing it was better than the Criterion set, not to mention the fact it was quite hard to get hold of even on DVD in the UK until now.

I can feel this one slipping away from me, and trying to figure out how to get hold of a copy fast. Even more frustratingly, I have about £22 in reward points on the Arrow store so that would have helped had it still been in stock with them! That said, wasn't it either £49.99 or £54.99 from them?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#152 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Yeah, it was £49.99 direct from Arrow. The current price on Amazon is the lowest it's ever been.

Costa

#153 Post by Costa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:50 pm

I just realised that this is a limited set.
Why is that since it sells so well?
Will there be an unlimited set and what will it include?
I can't buy this right now.
Also, will there be any notificiation (as TT's) about how many units are remaining till this goes OOP?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#154 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:57 pm

It sells well because people don't wait as long to buy it.
No unlimited set has been announced. I suppose it's possible they will eventually sell the individual discs separately, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.
OK.
This is your notification that if you don't buy it soon you will likely miss out.

Costa

#155 Post by Costa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:02 pm

swo17 wrote: This is your notification that if you don't buy it soon you will likely miss out.
Well, I have very limited to no funds at this time and was hoping to get just a mere 3 criterions in this November B&N sale. (I didn't buy any in the July one)
Hope the Arrow set lasts a few more months! 8-[

rapta

#156 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:03 pm

I have a feeling they will make the most of their hard work (and license) and try and sort something out. Easiest to accomplish would be separate reissues (as they did for the Fassbinder/Battles/Woody Allen sets), but they could also do a no frills box set reissue (as they did for the Hellraiser Trilogy).

Terrible timing for me as I literally just spent about £45 on Criterion and Arrow titles, and am currently shopping for gifts for my many family members. This could not have come at a worse point - also, I was more worried about The Human Condition going OOP as it was reportedly at 50% stock in the last newsletter, whereas this wasn't even mentioned (I incorrectly assumed there was plenty of stock left).

MichaelB

#157 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:18 pm

swo17 wrote:It sells well because people don't wait as long to buy it.
No unlimited set has been announced. I suppose it's possible they will eventually sell the individual discs separately, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.
I'd be amazed. The discs are not structured to facilitate a separate release, unless you think it's commercially viable to put out Dekalog episodes in pairs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#158 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't, but I wouldn't have thought that about Battles Without Honor and Humanity either.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#159 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:13 pm

rapta wrote:Easiest to accomplish would be separate reissues (as they did for the Fassbinder/Battles/Woody Allen sets), but they could also do a no frills box set reissue (as they did for the Hellraiser Trilogy).
The Battles/Fassbinder/WA discs are authored in a way making them easy to split into individual releases.
Here, you can't trim anything except the book, since the extra movies are peppered on each disc and would be the only other thing I can think that can be removed from a cheaper release. And I doubt, indeed, you could pass 2 episodes as an individual release...

Still, I'm very surprised about how sudden this OOP status seems.

rapta

#160 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:56 pm

tenia wrote:
rapta wrote:Easiest to accomplish would be separate reissues (as they did for the Fassbinder/Battles/Woody Allen sets), but they could also do a no frills box set reissue (as they did for the Hellraiser Trilogy).
The Battles/Fassbinder/WA discs are authored in a way making them easy to split into individual releases.
Here, you can't trim anything except the book, since the extra movies are peppered on each disc and would be the only other thing I can think that can be removed from a cheaper release. And I doubt, indeed, you could pass 2 episodes as an individual release...

Still, I'm very surprised about how sudden this OOP status seems.
In that case, a Hellraiser-style booklet-free set could be a sensible option (presumably with a price-point of about £30-35). Assuming Arrow understand that would sell relatively well, and they could even make that one limited if they were worried about being left with dead stock?

Ribs

#161 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:16 pm

There's a 0% chance the price drops by that much just by dropping the book. At most it'd be £10 cheaper.

(Maybe using less cases, too? BD-only, 3 cases, no book?

rapta

#162 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Ribs wrote:There's a 0% chance the price drops by that much just by dropping the book. At most it'd be £10 cheaper.

(Maybe using less cases, too? BD-only, 3 cases, no book?
You'd be surprised! But yeah, I did suggest £35 which is £10 less than the current price (so £40-ish direct from Arrow).

And yes, they could ditch the DVDs as well to keep the weight down too (and slim down the box set itself).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#163 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Ribs wrote:(Maybe using less cases, too? BD-only, 3 cases, no book?
I'm not sure but if using less cases and making a BD-only release was more interesting, margin-wise, I guess they would have chosen that solution straight from the beginning.

TMDaines

#164 Post by TMDaines » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:07 pm

It seems to have come as a surprise to Arrow as much as anyone that this sold as well as it did. I just ordered for £40.54 from Flubit.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#165 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:08 pm

But what, did everyone buy it the same day?

Cronenfly

#166 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Ribs wrote:So if this *is* a surprise huge hit mega-seller, are there any obvious "sequel sets" that Arrow might be pursuing? I'm hard-pressed to think of anything similar they could theoretically follow this up with.
As far as I know most of the other Kieslowski titles are still tied up with Artificial Eye, so I truly cannot imagine another set from Arrow that would replicate the seeming success of this one. As Michael mentions in the KKTV extra, and probably elsewhere in this very thread, there are no other Polish TV series that have been released theatrically on an international basis as this one was, and certainly none that hold the cache of the Dekalog (whether in terms of commercial prospects, likelihood to be restored, or any other such important factors). Even if Arrow were to acquire some additional Kieslowski, I do not think any of his other work holds the same aura that this series does.

And this is probably clear to anyone who has read this far, but this is a beautiful set and well worth picking up if you have the ability to play it and the cash at hand. Don't delay.

dda1996a

#167 Post by dda1996a » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:31 pm

Having just finished watching episode one, I am astounded by how beautiful this looks, considering the quality of the version I saw a year ago. Episode one still might be my favorite and this just left me insatiable.

rapta

#168 Post by rapta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:41 pm

I just noticed, if you add Dekalog to your basket on Amazon there are at least 999 copies left with them. Could it be that Arrow dispersed their stock to other retailers (mainly Amazon, HMV.com, Zavvi, and HMV/Fopp stores) and have just sold out of their own allocation? After all, international customers from Europe and elsewhere are more likely to buy it through them, and people are more inclined to use their reward points against things like this as well.

Just a suggestion. It may be OOS with them, and they may even describe it as OOP, but you can still get The Hills Have Eyes LE and Audition LE Steelbook from various places. Seeing as this is 3 or 4 times the price of those, it could be hanging around longer than Arrow's lack of stock suggests.

Of course I could be wrong and I'll be mourning the lack of this set come New Year...trying to sell some stuff ASAP to get hold of this.

L.A.

#169 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:16 pm

rapta wrote:I just noticed, if you add Dekalog to your basket on Amazon there are at least 999 copies left with them.
How can you see this kind of information?

senseabove

#170 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:40 pm

L.A. wrote:
rapta wrote:I just noticed, if you add Dekalog to your basket on Amazon there are at least 999 copies left with them.
How can you see this kind of information?
The usual trick for this kind of information is to put a very large number (say, 1000) in your basket, at which point they'll say "We're sorry, only X copies are available."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neal

#171 Post by neal » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:04 pm

I don't think that Amazon's inventory management works like that... You can, for instance, add 999 copies of Blind Chance to your cart even though, as of this writing, there are only 4 copies left in stock.

senseabove

#172 Post by senseabove » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:18 am

Yeah, I just tried it on Amazon after my previous post, and a) it wouldn't let me put more than 100, b) it didn't give me any indication of how many they did have.

They typically will tell you when they're down to less then 10 or 20 copies, though, so you can keep an eye on that if you're nervous and want to put it off until the last minute.

M Sanderson

#173 Post by M Sanderson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:03 am

So Blu-ray.com marked the PQ down to just 4, because the "other works" aren't as good quality as the Dekalog itself. Even though the Arrow has the right frame rate, better black levels and is said to look better in motion by other reviewers it receives a lower rating than the Criterion (4.5).

They really do seem to have a bit of an agenda in marking up some labels and finding ways to mark down others. They're a good site but you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

MichaelB

#174 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 am

The "other works" are extras.

Did the Criterion Kes get a poor mark for picture quality because Cathy Come Home looked terrible? Logically, the answer has to be yes, but I bet it didn't.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:13 am

I don't think that argument holds up when the title of the box is literally "Dekalog and Other Television Works"