Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

#26 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 pm

It says "more than ten hours of previously unseen footage." The feature-length version has previously been seen, so this is more than ten hours on top of that.

Big Ben

#27 Post by Big Ben » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I'll definitely be picking this up to replace my Twilight Time release. I'm really astonished at what Arrow has brought together for this release!

M Sanderson

#28 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 am

I'm just looking forward to the transfer.

For me, the big wait this year has been the Arrow exclusive restorations. Considering Arrow's amazing work on the Borowczyk Box, Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Long Good Friday, Mona Lisa, and Milano Calibro 9 - I'd been waiting for something big this year and now it seems to all be coming together.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Disc two of the Alfredo Garcia set is still being authored, but anyone mad enough to click on "play all" and watch the entire thing will currently get ten hours 43 minutes and 52 seconds of video.

Is this a record for a single disc?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Is any of it in SD? Pretty sure there are PD SD on Blu-ray Discs with way more on 'em, but they're not HD

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Roughly one hour is in HD, the rest is upscaled 4:3 SD. Attempting to squeeze ten hours of 16:9 native HD onto a single disc would be asking for trouble - I suspect even David Mackenzie might baulk at attempting that!

Cronenfly

#32 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 am

Dropped to £14.99 on Amazon UK, not bad for the sheer volume of material to be featured on this set.

Ribs

#33 Post by Ribs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 am

Now in stock at the Arrow store

Banasa

#34 Post by Banasa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:51 am

For those who enjoy spending a Thursday looking at screen captures blown up 200%...

Caps-a-holic.com comparisons

Before someone educates me on how things look green/yellow/teal/brown, I think this is looking strong. Great job to those who worked on the restoration. \:D/

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#35 Post by Caligula » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 am

Wow, quite an improvement

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:28 am

To be fair to Twilight Time, they actually did a pretty decent job - the differences between their transfer and the Arrow one are pretty much entirely down to Arrow having direct access to the camera negative. And since this has always been a very rough-looking film, going up a generation in terms of detail makes all the difference.

M Sanderson

#37 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I skipped the TT release as I heard it was from the same dated master as a European release.

Just watched Arrow's release. Always feel fortunate when a masterpiece gets such good A/V. The grain is beautiful. The film looks hotter and dustier than ever. I can hear and see details that I missed in previous releases. Of course this film was shot with very...uneven light levels, so a couple of the very, very dark scenes it's hard to distinguish colours, shades and details.

Could this be the best Blu ray of a Peckinpah title? Reckon it must be. Hoping more will follow, in particular Pat Garrett and also Junior Bonner.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#38 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:38 am

I keep putting off watching any of Peckinpah's films but I'm a fan of Oates. Is this as likely a good introduction to Peckinpah?

knives

#39 Post by knives » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:50 am

As an introduction it wouldn't be top of my list, but it is a film which can survive independently so having it be an introduction could do no damage. Ride the High Country or The Wild Bunch would probably be more generic introductions though I'm partial to Junior Bonner myself as that was my first Peckinpah.
Last edited by knives on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

matrixschmatrix

#40 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:03 am

Yeah, it's... very, very Peckinpah. I'd agree on The Wild Bunch as combining accessibility and Peckinpah-ness.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:40 am

Ride the High Country and the Wild Bunch were the two I immediately thought of as well

MichaelB

#42 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:I keep putting off watching any of Peckinpah's films but I'm a fan of Oates. Is this as likely a good introduction to Peckinpah?
The Arrow disc has hours and hours of detailed background on Peckinpah, so even though I agree with the comments above it offers plenty of other pointers.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:32 am

Mondo Digital. He likes it.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#44 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:I keep putting off watching any of Peckinpah's films but I'm a fan of Oates. Is this as likely a good introduction to Peckinpah?
The Arrow disc has hours and hours of detailed background on Peckinpah, so even though I agree with the comments above it offers plenty of other pointers.
Those extras are another reason I was attracted to this one in case the film really clicked for me. I'll definitely watch Ride The High Country tho - thanks for the help, guys.

MichaelB

#45 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:59 pm

AV Forums. He also likes it.

Big Ben

#46 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Received my copy today and am quite pleased with the packaging (MichaelB do you have any idea who did it?) and I'm looking forward to diving into everything. I was sort of neutral on this when I saw it via Twilight Time but I'm hoping my opinion significantly improves on a second viewing.

MichaelB

#47 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:28 pm

The artist is Peter Strain.

Finch

#48 Post by Finch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Beautiful presentation of a wonderful film. Mike Sutton's essay in the booklet was a standout. Not delved into the rest yet but wanted to express my immense gratitude to Mssrs Brooke, Simeoni, Lambert, MacKenzie et al for this release. We're only one month in, but this is already a contender for the most comprehensive package for a film in this year.

MichaelB

#49 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Finch wrote:Beautiful presentation of a wonderful film. Mike Sutton's essay in the booklet was a standout. Not delved into the rest yet but wanted to express my immense gratitude to Mssrs Brooke, Simeoni, Lambert, MacKenzie et al for this release. We're only one month in, but this is already a contender for the most comprehensive package for a film in this year.
Anthony Nield was the overall producer of this project. And of course Paul Joyce deserves a colossal amount of credit - he worked very extensively on disc two over and above merely contributing the footage.

Mr Sausage

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah, 1974)

#50 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:33 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, March 13th

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.