The Thing

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

chatterjees

Re: The Thing

#51 Post by chatterjees » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm

swo17 wrote:Amazon pre-order works now.
Doesn't work again. Is it sold out now?

ZizouJuve

#52 Post by ZizouJuve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm

chatterjees wrote:
swo17 wrote:Amazon pre-order works now.
Doesn't work again. Is it sold out now?
I think he meant Arrow. Site is back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#53 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Yes, but it was also up on Amazon when I posted that. And now it's not.

Big Ben

#54 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Both versions are sold out from every storefront that was supposedly carrying them. Turns out people REALLY like The Thing. Who knew?

rapta

#55 Post by rapta » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Some have surmised, perhaps accurately, that after the Arrow site and Amazon listings went down, people started ordering from multiple places and different versions; basically thinking it's selling out really quickly, but actually exacerbating it through their own actions. Added to this hyperbole, you probably have people who weren't going to order it in the first place casually ordering so they don't feel left out.

In reality a lot of people will cancel orders eventually (especially multiples), and though it will probably still sell out before the street date, sales will no doubt even out over the next few months. It'll be available in a few days from all retailers, unless some of them have already fulfilled their allocation (as has been a problem for Amazon and Zavvi in the past, I believe).

As for the disc itself, the new docs sound great and the booklet will be worthwhile - I even like the artwork for the digipack version. This is my favourite Carpenter so I have no hesitation in getting this straight away. I have a feeling they will add more to the extras but haven't finalised them yet - perhaps they're looking to license some from Shout Factory, or maybe they're still licensing or producing some others. After all, supposedly Carpenter and Cundey are involved in the restoration so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't even try to interview them directly.

Would've been cool to do the soundtrack on a CD but perhaps they couldn't secure the rights. Alternatively they could announce it later on and add it to the package, as they have done once or twice before (Phenomena?). They're supposedly launching more merchandise lines soon so could end up putting one or two of these commissioned designs on T-shirts or something, if people are into that (sold separately I'd imagine).

But who am I kidding? We're all just here to see The Thing restored in 4K, all things considered. We'll get there.

PS: Was chatting to John from Indicator earlier. Such a shame Sony decided to release Starman themselves in the UK rather than license it to them (nor Eureka). One of my very favourite Carpenter films, and would've been a bonus to see them rescue the Carpenter-Bridges commentary from the old DVD, not to mention rocking a pin-sharp encode and added booklet. Oh well...

Ribs

#56 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Well, I imagine it's not actually sold out through Arrow (yet), considering their store has been not slow but totally down for the better part of a day now. A panic buy will definitely make things worse - truth be told, I'm considering ordering it even with the immediate promise of double points given I have a stockpile of rewards points saved up to get it for free plus shipping anyway. But until Arrow gives us the red light that this is going fast I highly doubt it'll sell 8,000 copies (literally multiple times the entire lifespan of orders for a lot of titles Arrow releases, I'd wager) out in a single day.

(Arrow's also had that kind of cagey stance that if something sells out well before distribution begins they're happy to up the LE number)

hamipai00

#57 Post by hamipai00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 am

Still no signs of life, almost 24 hours on.

This message has just appeared:

15/07/2017 11:58 AM.
Unfortunately the site has been overwhelmed with demand following Friday's new release announcements.
We are working to increase capacity so that it can come back online for you all.
If you were able to place an order and got as far as make a payment on PayPal then these will be reflected on your account in due course. We have a backlog of payments to clear that we are working on.
Please be assured we working flat out on this after a night on it. There's no need to message or email for updates - they will be posted here for you when we have them.
Thanks very much for you support!

Fingers crossed they still have copies left when they get the site back up and running.

Adam X

#58 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 am

That post's been expanded upon on facebook, home for people who don't know how computers work:
Arrow Video wrote:We are working to increase capacity so that it can come back online for you all and there will still be an allocation of both versions of The Thing for sale when it does.

kekid

#59 Post by kekid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 am

The limited edition is available to order on Amazon now.

Big Ben

#60 Post by Big Ben » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:57 pm

kekid wrote:The limited edition is available to order on Amazon now.
Indeed! I managed to snag a copy this morning and copies are still available as of me typing this post. Arrow's main site however does not load for me at all.

Finch

#61 Post by Finch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Arrow site is back up as well, though slow. I was lucky to get in before everyone else saw their FB update and paid for the steelbook with Paypal but then when it came to directing me back to Arrow's site, it crashed. The order is not reflected in my order history but I've got the paypal receipt so I can pass that on to them, if need be.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#62 Post by Drucker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:34 pm

When you go to the item's page it says "WE HAVE NOW SOLD OUT OF THIS TITLE." I tried to buy it anyway but got no luck.

I was able to get this on Amazon before the crashes began yesterday. It actually seems really sold out now?

Ribs

#63 Post by Ribs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Arrow's not dumb - they'll probably double the print run, they'd be giving away surefire money otherwise.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#64 Post by swo17 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Unless they don't want to devalue the limited run. A standard edition will surely be coming soon after.

The steelbook is still available on Arrow's site though...

Ribs

#65 Post by Ribs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm

What do they care about the value of the limited run? They're not out to make scalpers' lives easier.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#66 Post by swo17 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm talking about the value that the phrase "limited edition" has for Arrow going forward. People wouldn't be trained to jump on these limited editions if they upped the print run every time the limit was exceeded. Have they ever even done that before?

Apperson

#67 Post by Apperson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:07 pm

swo17 wrote:I'm talking about the value that the phrase "limited edition" has for Arrow going forward. People wouldn't be trained to jump on these limited editions if they upped the print run every time the limit was exceeded. Have they ever even done that before?
Apparently they doubled the Battle Royale set from 5000 to 10,000.

Ribs

#68 Post by Ribs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:08 pm

They specifically said they'd do so for the Fassbinder set in the event it sold out almost immediately after being listed. Scream does the same thing, FWIW.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#69 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 pm

I think that as long as it's not going to be sold indefinitely, one could still consider it as limited.
And in the end, I dont care if there is 4000 or 10 000 of it, I just want one.

rapta

#70 Post by rapta » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Didn't they increase the print-run of Phenomena too, or am I imagining things?

I reckon they've perhaps sold out of the allocation of stock for themselves, seeing as they're the cheapest going right now and you also get reward points (or people can spend reward points on it, as I did), but it'll be available from Amazon, HMV and Zavvi too.

They'll probably increase the print-run though, by at least a couple of thousand. If not, maybe as a consolation they'll include a reduced booklet in the steelbook and subsequent standard edition (as with The Burning, Donnie Darko). Either way they surely won't just sit on their hands with an exclusive 4K restoration of arguably the most popular title they've ever released.

midnitedave

#71 Post by midnitedave » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:48 pm

DiabolicDVD just posted on Facebook that they'll "have BOTH THE THING releases from the UK too !," which confirms allocated stock. Although in the comments Diabolic say they're not taking preorders for those items, so it'll be a mad-dash when they are available. *Cue "Jingle All The Way" Reference*

On the subject of the soundtrack, in an interview on the Shout! disc Carpenter says it was more a collaboration with him & Morricone rather than just Morricone scoring the entire film. So I imagine since he did work with Arrow on the 4K restore then it isn't a stretch for them to work on getting soundtrack rights. I assume WaxWorth's license covers only US releasing?

Adam X

#72 Post by Adam X » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:20 am

Presumably after sorting through the crashing website order chaos, the Limited Edition (non-steelbook) version is again available for pre-order direct from Arrow. Get it while you can!

EDIT: and now it's listed as "sold out", but the steelbook's available again ("final stock remaining"). Part of me's expecting to get an apologetic cancellation email in a few days...

Morbii

#73 Post by Morbii » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:18 am

Is there any difference, other than packaging? I can't see one, but maybe I missed it.

Apperson

#74 Post by Apperson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:32 am

Morbii wrote:Is there any difference, other than packaging? I can't see one, but maybe I missed it.
The steelbook doesn't have the book.

PianoMan88

#75 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 am

I ordered both on Amazon, but I just checked and they both are still available for Pre-Order. Could this be true? It seems sold out everywhere (the Steelbook especially sought after), how can it be that Amazon still has stock? Anyone with pre-order experience that understands what is happening? Thank you gents.