The Thing

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

What A Disgrace

Re: Forthcoming: The Thing

#26 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if The Thing gets the Withnail & I / Pieces / H.G. Lewis treatment, with its own store and everything.

Adam X

#27 Post by Adam X » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:10 am

If they did something like that, I'd hope they'd perhaps include the Dark Horse Comics sequel published in the early nineties. It's a little more-of-the-same but John Higgins' art looks great, and it does a good job of capturing the mood & characters of Carpenter's film.

Ribs

#28 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 am

*LIMITED TO 4000 UNITS*
THE ULTIMATE IN ALIEN TERROR

Over the years, star Kurt Russell and master of horror John Carpenter have teamed up on a multitude of films (Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York to name a few) – but of all their collaborations, 1982’s horror/sci-fi amalgam The Thing surely tops the list.

A research team based out in the snowy wilds of Antarctica find themselves besieged by a terrifying, shape-shifting creature which has found its way into their base. When it becomes clear that the creature can take the form of any organism it so chooses, the tension within the team reaches breaking point – any one of them could be… The Thing.

Critically panned at the time of its release, John Carpenter’s The Thing has rightly gone on to become one of the most celebrated sci-fi horror efforts ever made – now newly restored by Arrow Video in a stunning 4K transfer supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell

• Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
• 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
• Vintage Featurettes
• Outtakes
• Behind-the-Scenes
• Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
• Still Galleries
• Poster
• Lobby Cards
• Book containing new writing on the film

23 October

(I am... shocked that it's been set at pretty much regular retail price)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: The Thing

#29 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:30 am

There will also be a Steelbook.

Apperson

#30 Post by Apperson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:35 am

tenia wrote:There will also be a Steelbook.
There doesn't seem to be a book listed on that page, which makes me wonder who would go for it over the other edition.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#31 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:44 am

Apperson wrote:
tenia wrote:There will also be a Steelbook.
There doesn't seem to be a book listed on that page, which makes me wonder who would go for it over the other edition.
The usual Steelbook fetish crowd, I guess.

Ribs

#32 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 am

It *does* look like a beautiful steelbook, though. Why anybody would choose it as opposed to Arrow's fancy deluxe edition mini-box-set they've done for big releases like this I've no idea.

Apperson

#33 Post by Apperson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 am

Ribs wrote:It *does* look like a beautiful steelbook, though. Why anybody would choose it as opposed to Arrow's fancy deluxe edition mini-box-set they've done for big releases like this I've no idea.
From blu-ray.com:
Was going to go for the limited edition, but damn, that SB art......
The 4K OCN scan, however, seems to be the main attraction, so i'll probably just get the steelbook as I previously wanted the Mondo steelbook from some time ago.

Apperson

#34 Post by Apperson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am

And it looks like Arrow's website just crashed, so for those interested I wouldn't hang around.

Ribs

#35 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:56 am

Hopefully the people who are dumb enough to order *before* the sale starts on Wednesday are the same people dumb enough to want the Steelbook

Orlac

#36 Post by Orlac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

What's actually gonna be limited about the set? I assume just the book and kibble? And not the film?

Apperson

#37 Post by Apperson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 am

Orlac wrote:What's actually gonna be limited about the set? I assume just the book and kibble? And not the film?
Book (not called a booklet which bodes well) and Packaging assortments, although that all comes a distant second to the might and power of metal casing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#38 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am

Ribs wrote:Hopefully the people who are dumb enough to order *before* the sale starts on Wednesday are the same people dumb enough to want the Steelbook
Well, in some regards, if you're not especially interested by the paper goodies (booklet, poster, lobby cards), you're left with a choice of packaging / cover for the same price. I like this kind of goodies (even if I barely use them) so I'll favor the LE, but there certainly isn't a lot of difference between the 2.

GaryC

#39 Post by GaryC » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

Is that "original mono" correct? The Thing certainly had a 5.1 soundtrack on 70mm prints, and in 1982 there may well have been Dolby Stereo 35mm prints in circulation.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 am

Here's a comparison between Arrow and Scream's extras (shared extras bolded-- obv some of the vintage featurettes may be the same). Scream seems to be offering a WHOLE lot more, no?
Ribs wrote: LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell

• Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
• 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
• Vintage Featurettes
• Outtakes
• Behind-the-Scenes
• Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
• Still Galleries
• Poster
• Lobby Cards
• Book containing new writing on the film
Disc One (with the feature film)

Theatrical and Teaser Trailers

Theatrical Trailers (1080p; 3:27)
German Trailer (1080p; 1:47)
Teaser Trailer (1080p; 1:22)

TV Spots (1080p; 1:35)

Radio Spots (1080p; 2:27) also offers a bit of "extracurricular" footage, as well as Stevie Wonder's "Superstition".

Still Galleries

Behind the Scenes (1080p; 4:47)
Lobby Cards and Press Stills (1080p; 4:18)
Programs (1080p; 1:44)
Posters (1080p; 1:59)
Storyboards (1080p; 2:34)
Production Artwork (1080p; 1:24)

Audio Commentary with Dean Cundey
Audio Commentary with Co-Producer Stuart Cohen
Audio Commentary by Director John Carpenter and Actor Kurt Russell

Disc Two (Bonus Features)

Interviews

Requiem for a Shapeshifter (1080p; 28:39) features John Carpenter being interviewed by Mick Garris.

The Men of Outpost 31 (1080p; 51:14) features interviews with several of the supporting players.

Assembling and Assimilation (1080p; 11:09) features editor Todd Ramsay.

Behind the Chameleon (1080p; 25:26) is a fun overview of some shapeshifting activities with Peter Kuran, Visual Effects Supervisor.

Sounds from the Cold (1080p; 14:53) features Alan Howarth, Special Sound Effects and Music.

Between the Lines (1080p; 15:58) features author Alan Dean Foster.

More of The Thing

Network TV Broadcast Version of The Thing (480i; 1:33:45)

John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape (1080i; 1:24:03)

The Making of a Chilling Tale (480i; 5:14)

The Making of The Thing (480i; 9:20)

Featurettes

The Art of Mike Ploog (1080p; 12:21)

Back into the Cold (1080p; 11:16)

Outtakes (1080i; 5:19)

Vintage Featurettes (480i; 13:20)

Vintage Product Reel (480i; 19:38)

Vintage Behind the Scenes Footage (480i; 2:02)

Annotated Production Archive (1080i; 54:12)

Ribs

#41 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:19 am

I'd expect there'll be a handful more coming to the Arrow closer to release as per usual and they probably have considerable overlap with the new feature-length doc and some of these other interviews.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#42 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:23 am

I suppose the new Arrow documentary will cover a good chunk of the grounds covered by the Shout interviews, though some of the more specific extras on the Shout release do seem interesting.

Also, the Vintage featurettes and Behind the scenes should be in bold.
Last edited by tenia on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

What A Disgrace

#43 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am

The limited edition already seems to be sold out on Amazon? I sure hope not.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#44 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 am

What A Disgrace wrote:The limited edition already seems to be sold out on Amazon? I sure hope not.
Arrow on FB:

Due to overwhelming demand, we are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our Arrow Video Shop. We are working to get it back up as soon as possible. Equally, we are looking into why The Thing Ltd Ed is being listed uas Currently Unavailable on amazon.co.uk. Please keep checking both sites for when they are back up.

Calvin

#45 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

tenia wrote:I suppose the new Arrow documentary will cover a good chunk of the grounds covered by the Shout interviews.

Also, the Vintage featurettes should be in bold.
Also, presumably 'Behind the Scenes' is Vintage Behind the Scenes Footage (480i; 2:02).

I do feel like Arrow raised expectations for them to do something special with this release, and while it does look like an excellent package it doesn't look out of the ordinary for Arrow (look at the recent Argento releases, for instance). I don't think I was the only one to think that yesterday's Morricone teaser meant that including the soundtrack (on either vinyl or CD) was likely. The Thing from Another World would have been appreciated as well; the last UK release was from Universal, who also released it in a 2-pack with The Thing

Orlac

#46 Post by Orlac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 am

Universal released the 1951 Thing as part of the RKO range they inherited from Polygram. However, since then, it seems the UK rights to the RKO library are moving over to Warners, if the likes of the UK BDs of King Kong and Cat People are anything to go by.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#47 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:40 am

Calvin wrote:Also, presumably 'Behind the Scenes' is Vintage Behind the Scenes Footage (480i; 2:02).
Could also be Behind the Scenes (1080p; 4:47)
Calvin wrote:I do feel like Arrow raised expectations for them to do something special with this release, and while it does look like an excellent package it doesn't look out of the ordinary for Arrow (look at the recent Argento releases, for instance).
Many people on blu-ray.com thought they would do a more expensive more special edition with a dedicated mini-site. They also thought that would be the occasion to do a new vinyl release with the Morricone score, so you're not alone on that.

Banasa

#48 Post by Banasa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm

If Arrow's making-of videos on Phenomena is any clue, there video and book will cover most things needed. Even some of the bonus features the Phenomena release expanded on information found on Synapse (i.e: they credit the Synapse video release noting that it was Jack Sholder who made Nightmare on Elm Street 2 who did the American edit on Phenomena when it was released as Creepers.

If anything, you now will be watching a tighter more user-friendly video instead of picking through several short bursts. If they are going to discuss production, might as well lump it all together.

Ditto for the "audio commentary"'s on films where unless you are Guillermo Del Toro, who I'd listen to comment on anyone's films, you generally have a director/writer/producer returning to a film you haven't seen since its release. Things like Arrow's Dana Olsen commentary on the 'Burbs really has little value.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#49 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Amazon pre-order works now.

MichaelB

#50 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Banasa wrote:Ditto for the "audio commentary"'s on films where unless you are Guillermo Del Toro, who I'd listen to comment on anyone's films, you generally have a director/writer/producer returning to a film you haven't seen since its release. Things like Arrow's Dana Olsen commentary on the 'Burbs really has little value.
It depends on the individual concerned. For instance, last night I sat down with the Jim Dale commentary on Indicator's upcoming The National Health with some trepidation, as I only really know Dale as one of the younger gormless halfwits in the Carry On films, and much to my surprise I got an exceptionally articulate, intelligent and very well recollected track that covered a huge amount of ground - it turned out that Dale was the only actor to appear in both the stage and screen versions, and so had first-hand knowledge of the entire production history (and much else besides, as he'd worked quite a bit with writer Peter Nichols).