Ivansxtc

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Ivansxtc

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:25 am

Danny Huston, Peter Weller and Lisa Enos star in this biting satire on the behind-the-scenes of the Hollywood film industry, with all its drink and drug-fuelled excess, from director Bernard Rose (Candyman, Paperhouse).

Opening with the death of its titular protagonist, ivansxtc goes back in time to chart the final days of hot-shot Tinseltown agent Ivan Beckman (Danny Huston) and his fast-paced, wheeler-dealer lifestyle, which will ultimately lead him to an early grave after a shock cancer diagnosis.

Loosely based on Leo Tolstoy's celebrated 1886 novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich, and featuring a searing performance by Danny Huston at its core and wonderfully sleazy turn from Peter Weller as Ivan’s biggest client, ivansxtc is a powerful meditation on life, death and morality set against the glitzy backdrop of La La Land.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High-Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Q&A with director Bernard Rose, actress/producer/co-writer Lisa Enos, actors Danny Huston, Peter Weller and Adam Krentzman from a 2018 screening at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Robert J Simpson

Finch

Re: Ivansxtc

#2 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Has anyone here seen the film? I like Bernard Rose's work but never got an opportunity to see Ivans xtc. I seem to recall it was well reviewed at the time, and it's got Danny Huston and Peter Weller so I'm pretty stoked for it.

Mr. Deltoid

#3 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:30 pm

I haven't seen it since it was releassd back in '03 (release date in the U.K.) , but I remember it being an emotional gut-punch! It was very well reviewed back then and Peter Weller was superb as the venal Hollywood star, but wether was

John Cope

#4 Post by John Cope » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Still Danny Huston's greatest performance. One of the greatest performances ever. It's tragic that it remains so under recognized. Equally tragic is the fact that I don't think anyone has ever really capitalized on his unique set of acting talents since.

Ivansxtc presents a very well worn and simple seeming tale of the superficially successful man's confrontation with mortality. But it benefits from the attention paid to nuance. It's in that great unconstrained Peter Weller performance, too; the one that establishes some barometer for morality by exuding none, allowing an appreciation for Ivan's relative moral capacity (his richer humanness) and his authentic, sudden flailing need to find something real in his life. The scene, for instance, in which Ivan asks Weller's Don West whether he has slept with his girlfriend is deeply moving for the way in which it subtly indicates that difference in attitude between the two men and, by virtue of it, marks West as a repellant rather than comic figure. The pathos, meanwhile, comes from understanding that Ivan himself probably remains oblivious to the very drive which redeems him, though that recognition comes at last ("So I tried to find an image, one worthwhile image...and I couldn't find one goddamn thing...") and it's what makes the profound power of the film's resolution possible at all.

Whenever I watch this film I have to remind myself that it's Bernard Rose and not Mike Figgis directing. The digital photography and Hollywood milieu are a point of commonality, especially at the time in which this was made, and it feels like the proper extension or maturation of Figgis' whole project from that period (a far more sensible and coherent development than making Hotel, for instance).

It really is ludicrous that ivansxtc has remained more or less unavailable in the US, as it is a perfect Hollywood film (a film about Hollywood I mean) and also as perfect and succinct an examination of cultural and human malaise at the hands of commerce as is possible--commerce seen as defining society and acting as the arbiter of culture. There is good reason that the credits are front loaded and why the contextualizing responses to Ivan's death are also all at the beginning (positioning Ivan's last days as extended flashback); this strategy allows for a precision in depicting his downfall and awakening, a precision equivalent to a finely honed, controlled piece of music not at all dissimilar to the Wagner piece used so indelibly during the film's unforgettable final moments.

I still haven't seen Rose's other Tolstoy adaptations, The Kreutzer Sonata, Two Jacks and Boxing Day, which share some of the same digital aesthetic as well as Danny Huston, but I very much want to. Maybe someday someone could issue a Rose/Tolstoy collection.

M Sanderson

#5 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:17 am

Amazing film. Any details about the transfer? Presumably off the shelf, so are the current materials good, looking as they're supposed to?

Rose's Kreutzer Sonata, SXtape and Frankenstein are also remarkable digital experiments; experimental and accessible movies.

Definitely, some kind of Rose Tolstoy or even SOV collection would be very exciting.

Adam X

#6 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:40 pm

This has been delayed 2 weeks, due to adding a whole lot more content.
Updated extras:
- Theatrical Cut presented in two versions; the preferred director’s version and the producer’s version, with 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Extended Producer’s Cut with Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio, presented for the first time
- Brand new commentary for the Extended Cut with co-writer/producer/ actor Lisa Enos and filmmaker Richard Wolstencroft
- Charlotte’s Story – a brand new documentary on the making of the film from Lisa Enos
- Q&A with Lisa Enos, director Bernard Rose, actors Danny Huston, Peter Weller and Adam Krentzman from a 2018 screening at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles
- Archival interviews with Lisa Enos and Bernard Rose from the 2001 Santa Barbara Film Festival
- Extended Party Sequence Outtakes
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Robert JE Simpson