The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Finch

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

#1 Post by Finch » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10/compatible)
Original lossless Dolby Atmos sound
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by critics Bryan Reesman and Max Evry
The Hollywood Way – brand new interview with co-writer/producer Lionel Wigram
A Lineage of Bad Guys – brand new interview with actor Luca Calvani
Legacy of U.N.C.L.E. – brand new featurette celebrating the original 1960s TV series and its influence on the 2015 movie, featuring Helen McCarthy, David Flint and Vic Pratt
Cockneys and Robbers – brand new featurette exploring director Guy Ritchie’s oeuvre, featuring Kat Hughes, Hannah Strong and Josh Saco
Spy Vision: Recreating 60s Cool, A Higher Class of Hero, Metisse Motorcycles: Proper and Very British, The Guys from U.N.C.L.E. and A Man of Extraordinary Talents – five archival featurettes exploring the making of the film
U.N.C.L.E.: On-Set Spy – four archival, bite-sized featurettes going behind the scenes on the film set
Theatrical trailer
Image gallery
Double-sided fold-out poster, featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dare Creative
Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Barry Forshaw, and a reprinted article from CODEX Magazine on the film’s cinematography Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dare Creative

peerpee
not perpee

Re: The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

#2 Post by peerpee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

This really feels like a line has been crossed. A boutique label releasing a Guy Ritchie film. For me, this is pathetic and desperate.

TechnicolorAcid

#3 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 am

peerpee wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm
This really feels like a line has been crossed. A boutique label releasing a Guy Ritchie film. For me, this is pathetic and desperate.
Look on the bright side, it's not Swept Away. Also fyi this isn't the first time a Boutique label has released a Guy Ritchie film, ViaVision released Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

peerpee
not perpee

#4 Post by peerpee » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 am

Oh, that doesn’t make it utterly depressing. They were the second then.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:45 am

The two issues I have is that : why a movie like this needs a boutique label ? What does it do that Warner couldn't have done themselves ?
And then : I do hope there are other more deserving movies in the deal because in the meantime, Criterion's Warner deal is giving us Pat Garrett instead.

Tuppence

#6 Post by Tuppence » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am

Give what else they've licensed from other studios (especially their recent Paramount and Universal titles), I very much doubt Arrow initiated a deal with Warner with The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Last Starfighter as their key priorities. Ritchie may have wanted a UHD of his film, and Warner asked Arrow if they'd take it on as part of the deal. These may have come first because masters for both are already done, and to show Warner they will release what they've licensed in good time, unlike Criterion, who still aren't finished with a batch of titles we first learned about seven years ago.

dwk

#7 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 am

As I mentioned in the Arrow speculation/news thread, Cliff MacMillan posted at the Blu-ray.com forum that this was the first because WB had the 4k transfer ready. His justification for licensing it is he likes spy movies.

What is funny is I know the film has fans and I figured the Blu-ray forum would have been over the moon about this title getting a UHD, but most responses have been mild.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#8 Post by cdnchris » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 am

I like it, but even I'm baffled by it getting a boutique release, at least from Arrow. And I'm the guy that would be over the moon if Criterion announced a 4K for The Rock.

The extras at least look.like they'll be somewhat interesting.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 am

I've seen this and it's watchable, disposable, forgettable, and certainly not in need of a boutique label's help. UHD is just making the market worse, as anyone could have predicted

yoloswegmaster

#10 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am

dwk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 am
As I mentioned in the Arrow speculation/news thread, Cliff MacMillan posted at the Blu-ray.com forum that this was the first because WB had the 4k transfer ready. His justification for licensing it is he likes spy movies.

What is funny is I know the film has fans and I figured the Blu-ray forum would have been over the moon about this title getting a UHD, but most responses have been mild.
Just go on Reddit and you will see that this has garnered a sizeable cult fanbase, especially with the numerous posts praising it. I'm assuming that's why Arrow is releasing this and will likely make Arrow some serious bank.

I too would have thought that the BR forum crowd would have eaten this release up, and there are quite a few who are excited, but I guess they were more disappointed by this being the first title to be released from the WB deal instead of something much more exciting/interesting.

dwk

#11 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am
... I guess they were more disappointed by this being the first title to be released from the WB deal instead of something much more exciting/interesting.
That is a whole other issue with that forum, they tend to set their expectations for deals like this too high, hoping for things like Lethal Weapon (though some set their sights on more likely Shane Black titles, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang & The Nice Guys), WB's Mad Max titles (which already have UHDs) or A Nightmare on Elm Street (which Shout would have snapped up if WB was willing to license it.)

Curious to see if this deal ends up mostly UK releases of titles Shout has licensed in the US.

zedz

#12 Post by zedz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am
... I guess they were more disappointed by this being the first title to be released from the WB deal instead of something much more exciting/interesting.
That is a whole other issue with that forum, they tend to set their expectations for deals like this too high, hoping for things like Lethal Weapon
Wow, I'd hate to see what setting their sights too low looked like!

dwk

#13 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:34 pm

Whatever one thinks about Lethal Weapon it is an incredibly popular film franchise and is something that WB clearly will not license out. That is all I meant by mentioning having unrealistic hopes for titles.