Philippe Grandrieux on DVD/Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
nosy lena

Philippe Grandrieux on DVD/Blu-ray

#1 Post by nosy lena » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Anyone know if this ever came out?

Philippe Grandrieux - 4 Films (Sombre, La vie nouvelle, Un Lac, Malgré la nuit)

I've seen release dates ranging from Dec 6, 2016 (Amazon.fr) and Jan 17, 2017 (RDM-Video.fr) but it seems unavailable everywhere...

Found Malgré la nuit to be an incredible experience and would love to be able to rewatch it.

Oedipax

Re: Philippe Grandrieux on DVD/Blu-ray

#2 Post by Oedipax » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 am

My Amazon pre-order got cancelled. Hope it does make it out eventually though, even though it's a shame it's DVD only.

nosy lena

#3 Post by nosy lena » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:31 am

Here's to hoping they've changed their minds and plan to release it as Blu-ray!

Shellac Sud's website is currently broke to boot.

Pinakotheca

#4 Post by Pinakotheca » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:40 pm

The box has been pushed to the spring, still coming out.

gsmcdonald

#5 Post by gsmcdonald » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:42 am

The Philippe Grandrieux 4-film DVD set can now be ordered from Amazon.fr with what they say is a 1-3 week delay prior to dispatch:

https://www.amazon.fr/Philippe-Grandrie ... drieux+dvd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Shellac-Sud website still doesn't list the set, nor indicate if a blu-ray version will be available. If anyone knows if it will be available on blu-ray, I'd love to know. Thanks.

PS - I contacted Shellac by email and got the following reply on 20 February:

The release of the set has been pushed back to the spring (no exact date at this time). The set will consist of DVDs. No blu-ray.

For those who read French: "le coffret est repoussé au printemps, nous n'avons pas encore de dates précises. Le coffret sera composés de dvd, pas de bluray."

RowlandSHoward

#6 Post by RowlandSHoward » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 am

Does anyone have any updates on the status of this set? The French Amazon link from the previous post indicates (according to Google translate) that the set is currently unavailable and it's not clear if/when it will be back in stock.

Was this ever even released? There's almost no mention of it on the internet aside from this thread and the link above.

I'm a big fan of Grandrieux after seeing Sombre and La Vie Nouvelle, easily two of the most terrifying, formally inventive films I've seen. He's obviously a very challenging filmmaker, but I'm still a bit puzzled about just how difficult it is to obtain copies of his films. There's currently an oversaturated market for Blu-Rays and dvds in which previously obscure films have been rescued from obscurity, so why is Grandrieux so consistently ignored? None of his films have been released on Blu-Ray at all, and only Sombre got a US release (dvd only). None of his non-narrative films have received dvd distribution (to my knowledge).

I just saw that there's a new book Sonic Cinema about Grandrieux's work, which I will be getting soon. Hopefully that will help spread the word about him.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!