Essentials from Germany

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Forrest Taft

Re: Essentials from Germany

#176 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Arthaus (according to the cover, StudioCanal according to the amazon page) is putting out a complete Jim Jarmusch collection in December. Year of the Horse is DVD only, according to a sticker on the box photo.

TMDaines

#177 Post by TMDaines » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:13 am

The mini-series of Das Boot is finally out on Blu-ray in Germany. English subtitles and supposedly of good quality.

rockysds

#178 Post by rockysds » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Have anyone picked up this set: Verbotene Filme - 10er DVD-Box?

From the only review up it seems both English-friendly and very heavy on extras. Some of these films also seem to be among the forthcoming retros at the Berlinale and the Locarno film festival.

zedz

#179 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:44 pm

rockysds wrote:Have anyone picked up this set: Verbotene Filme - 10er DVD-Box?

From the only review up it seems both English-friendly and very heavy on extras. Some of these films also seem to be among the forthcoming retros at the Berlinale and the Locarno film festival.
Wow, that looks like a terrific set. From the titles, it looks like a comprehensive collection of the East German 'New Wave' films that were strangled at birth in the mid-60s: a bunch of more adventurous and critical films that got withdrawn, sidelined or banned. It's probably the best (only?) example of a national 'new wave' movement from the 60s that was completely repressed at the time.

I saw most of these in a Goethe-Institut retrospective in the early 90s and they're an interesting bunch of mostly contemporary dramas, not avant-garde, but on the level of the better Polish dramas of the period. Spur der steine is the leader of the bunch, a huge national hit when it was finally released in 1990, and it's a truly great film.

English subs = instant purchase.

I also noticed this is just out:

60 Years of DEFA animation 2-disc set. It's a whole new thaw!

TMDaines

#180 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:48 pm

I presumed it was just a repacking of previous releases. Are these new transfers/restos?

zedz

#181 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:21 pm

TMDaines wrote:

I presumed it was just a repacking of previous releases. Are these new transfers/restos?
Several of these don't seem to be currently available, or only available in extremely old editions (e.g. 1999) at OOP prices. The same company put out an 'HD-Remastered' edition of Spur der Steine in August, so I'm assuming this set will use that (presumably new) transfer, and hopefully the rest of the transfers will be equally recent. But this is all just supposition.

Paul Petit

#182 Post by Paul Petit » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:27 pm

The box contains 10 out of the 12 films which had been shelved 50 years ago. 5 of them haven't most likely had any regular DVD releases in Germany yet. The other 5 DVDs seem not to be identical with the DVDs, Icestorm has sold before, as those older editions featured different (and even more) extras in comparison to the ones the reviewer on a. is listing. At least Spur der Steine features a new transfer which has already been released as a stand alnoe a few months ago. And at least 'Haende hoch ...' does not feature English subtitles. I can't be more precisely, as I haven't seen the box myself yet.

L.A.

#183 Post by L.A. » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:40 pm

Naked Among Wolves (1963) also has a new edition. HD-Remastered logo and English subtitles, hopefully the information is accurate.

TMDaines

#184 Post by TMDaines » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:46 am

I'd be interested to see some comparisons to previous releases. I do like my DEFA stuff.

zedz

#185 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:38 pm

I received this set and had a quick look at a couple of films (I Am the Rabbit & Karla). First impressions:

- I can't find any information on the age or source of the transfers / restorations, but they seem to be fine for SD from a brief sample. (i.e. they don't look like 1990s transfers, which was when some of the previous DVDs were released)
- The features have English subs
- The extras don't. It looks like there's an interview supporting every film, usually with the director and shot in the early 90s, when these films resurfaced.
- Packaging is drab and functional with a uniform dossier look. Each film comes on its own disc in five double standard-width cases. No booklet.

A

#186 Post by A » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Icestorm has consistently been one of the worst German DVD labels of the last 15 years, but sometimes some of their stuff is worth picking up (since, unfortunately, you won't get it anywhere else). I own about 50 of their DVD releases, but can't say there was ever any really good transfer among them, or exciting extras or any of that stuff. So purchase with caution.

naersjoen

#187 Post by naersjoen » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:01 pm

A wrote:Icestorm has consistently been one of the worst German DVD labels of the last 15 years
15 years ago the quality of their transfers was certainly among the worst European labels, but based on the more recent releases I've seen (none from the last year or so, but many up to that point), this is simply not true anymore (not that they are up to the standards of, say, Eureka). Their Transit, Flüstern & schreien, and Spurensuche releases are among my most-treasured discs (because of the films they contain that is). I do wish they would supply subtitles more consistently.

A

#188 Post by A » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:05 pm

Good to know they've picked up their game! There's certainly lots of room for improvement. Still, I'd be more than surprised to see a great transfer on one of their discs, e.g. buying a set not merely for the films, but because of the quality of the release. I'd still wager that any other company putting out the same stuff would make a better job of it.

JAP

#189 Post by JAP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Any opinions on this overview of German animation: Die Geschichte des deutschen Animationsfilms? (the 6 DVDs are also available individually and seem to have english subs)
And what about the Pinschewer, Muratti & Sarotti and DEFA sets? Didn't zedz went after the last one?

zedz

#190 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:27 pm

JAP wrote:Didn't zedz went after the last one?
I've got it, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#191 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 am

RobertAltman wrote:Arthaus (according to the cover, StudioCanal according to the amazon page) is putting out a complete Jim Jarmusch collection in December. Year of the Horse is DVD only, according to a sticker on the box photo.
Has anyone picked this up? It's only $60 Americsn right now but I can't find any info on whether Mystery Train has English subs for the Japanese dialog. I know the Limits of Control and Only Lovers do have optional English subs for non-English dialog and that Ghost Dog does not subtitle any of the ice cream salesman's French dialog, so I guess this could go either way

TMDaines

#192 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am

It seems not: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=250306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#193 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:07 am

And sounds like Night on Earth is similarly not subtitled for non-English parts. Ah well, nevermind then, I'll just pick up the titles I want from this box piecemeal and get Soda's box for the rest

TMDaines

#194 Post by TMDaines » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:00 am

Better late than never, but Peter Pewas's Viele kamen vorbei is coming out on DVD!

Forrest Taft

#195 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Soderbergh's Solaris is finally getting a blu-ray release next month. Also, uhh...the first two parts of the Problem Child-saga are coming to blu in less than two weeks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#196 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:04 pm

I like that Problem Child shares a title with a Fassbinder film in Germany. Also, isn't there speculation that the holdup for Solaris is that James Cameron insists on overseeing the upgrade and of course he has no time to do so?

Forrest Taft

#197 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:12 pm

That's news to me, but I guess it makes sense. Pretty sure Cameron's busy schedule is the reason The Abyss and True Lies aren't out yet, and all of these titles are Fox properties.

Cash Flagg

#198 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 pm

I'll leave it up to the individual to decide how 'essential' it is, but Elvira: Mistress of the Dark is receiving a deluxe, limited-edition BD/DVD combo release in Germany.

Jonathan S

#199 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Could anyone confirm please (ideally from the disc itself) whether this Arthaus Bluray of Senso really does have English audio? It seems highly unlikely, as the previous European BD didn't, but both Amazon.de and JPC list this reissue as such and (though I can't get a very clear image) even the back cover reproduced on the JPC site appears to state "Englisch".

(On the other hand, the Studiocanal webpage states Italian instead of English audio, as I'd expect!)

TMDaines

#200 Post by TMDaines » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 am

It is high likely it is just a repackaged version of the StudioCanal Collection disc, so I would think not.