Éric Rohmer on DVD and BD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Eric Rohmer on DVD and BD

#376 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:33 pm

Some of those "shorts" are pretty long -- but all the extras I have checked have been sub-less.

Zot!

#377 Post by Zot! » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Yeah, it's a great summation until it dawns on you how much you're missing! Not a single one of the supplements has subs.

Ribs

#378 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:46 am

I just ordered the Arrow DVD box set - I'm just curious if there's been any rumblings as to if the BD releases could come out through a English-language label? I don't expect Criterion to upgrade the box or anything but it seems odd to me they just stopped there without exploring the later stuff (and it's been nigh-on a decade since they put out the box).

Is this a ground Arrow Academy might explore, or might it's already being released in R2/B render that pointless?

Zot!

#379 Post by Zot! » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Ribs wrote:I just ordered the Arrow DVD box set - I'm just curious if there's been any rumblings as to if the BD releases could come out through a English-language label? I don't expect Criterion to upgrade the box or anything but it seems odd to me they just stopped there without exploring the later stuff (and it's been nigh-on a decade since they put out the box).

Is this a ground Arrow Academy might explore, or might it's already being released in R2/B render that pointless?
Won't happen...why didn't you order the French BD box? It is English friendly for ALL the features.

Ribs

#380 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:27 pm

I just didn't want to spend the extra $35 right now on the equivalent box. I'm thinking I probably should have just waited until I could, but the order's already shipped so I'll just make do with it and probably spring on the BD versions for the other Rohmer stuff as I get to it.

This is probably covered somewhere in this thread but I quickly read through it last night and it didn't seem to come up: These are Region B/2 locked, yes? I'm covered if it is but I'm curious for convenience's sake.

My Man Godfrey

#381 Post by My Man Godfrey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi all! For what an additional opinion is worth:

I already owned every Rohmer movie on DVD and was reluctant to re-buy for slightly better resolution. When I looked at some DVD Beaver comparison shots, I realized that the difference might not be so slight. Anyway, I ordered the Potemkine box.

If you love Rohmer, you HAVE to buy this set. It is startling how much better some of the movies look here as compared, say, to the Arrow DVDs (which of course I loved). The image quality is improved enough that the movies make a different impression on the whole.

It makes me sad that the seemingly endless and amazing-looking special features aren't subbed. I wish, at least, that Rohmer's own shorts had been subbed. On the other hand, some of those shorts can be enjoyed without much knowledge of French. (My sadly limited French was good enough to allow me to keep up with, e.g., Nadja a Paris.) Also, you can find some of the shorts on YouTube with subs (see, e.g., http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/gallery/20 ... dja-paris/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and then watch them again on the Blu Ray.

The Potemkine set is basically giving me a chance to remember how much these movies meant to me. I can't imagine anyone ordering this set and being disappointed, even at the fairly high price.

PS: Thanks to FerdinandGriffon for the list above. Helpful!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#382 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Potemkine's online store is currently selling the box set for 139 euros: http://www.potemkine.fr/Potemkine-fiche ... 12809.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Moran

#383 Post by Paul Moran » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Potemkine's online store is currently selling the box set for 139 euros: http://www.potemkine.fr/Potemkine-fiche ... 12809.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, I'm convinced! Works out at about £116 including delivery. Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit it, but the set includes 4 films I don't think I've seen before (Le signe du lion; Perceval le Gallois; 4 aventures de Reinette et Mirabelle; L'arbre, le maire et la médiathèque); I certainly don't have them on DVD. I'll probably keep my Criterion, Arrow and AE DVD sets, for the extras and subtitled shorts.

ermylaw

#384 Post by ermylaw » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:49 pm

I think I paid about twice the current price for this set. After having it for awhile, I'd gladly pay twice more to have all these films. I wish we'd see more complete filmographies released in such a fashion.

criterionsnob

#385 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Beaver: Pauline at the Beach shows 1.66 framing on the Kino compared to 1.33 on the Potemkine.

Ribs

#386 Post by Ribs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:53 pm

So does that indicate this is from the additional, new restorations that apparently have happened since the last set? It seems unlike Kino to make this judgment call otherwise.

I'm taking this as a good sign that Arrow's likely to put out their own Rohmer set(s) in the coming months.

MichaelB

#387 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:37 pm

ermylaw wrote:I think I paid about twice the current price for this set. After having it for awhile, I'd gladly pay twice more to have all these films. I wish we'd see more complete filmographies released in such a fashion.
Sadly, Rohmer is one of the very very few filmmakers for whom this is feasible, on account of him controlling the rights to all his films pretty much from the start. Most filmographies are scattered around multiple rightsholders, with all the contractual challenges that this implies.

Paul Moran

#388 Post by Paul Moran » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:54 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Beaver: Pauline at the Beach shows 1.66 framing on the Kino compared to 1.33 on the Potemkine.
Fortunately, Beaver also shows that the Potemkine is full frame, not cropped from a 1.66:1 source. My Arrow and MGM DVDs are 1.66:1, so that's what I'm used to, but I can live with the extra headroom (and legroom) on the Potemkine. And, wrong or not, I prefer the Potemkine's brighter look.

McKeel

#389 Post by McKeel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Potemkine's online store is currently selling the box set for 139 euros: http://www.potemkine.fr/Potemkine-fiche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 12809.html
Does Potemkine ship to the US? I couldn't find it in the country code drop down box.

cinemartin

#390 Post by cinemartin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 pm

It does - it's under Etats-Unis.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#391 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 05, 2018 11:33 am

Posters on the Blu-ray.com forum are reporting that some copies of the Potemkine set are bronzing, specifically the Green Ray...

Paul Moran

#392 Post by Paul Moran » Sat May 05, 2018 12:18 pm

I have two sets (don't ask) - one I watched back in February 2016, and one still in its original shipping packaging. I've only checked the Green Ray from the "watched" set, but it does not appear to be bronzing...yet. Which reminds me: perhaps it's time to go through the Criterion list again.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#393 Post by tenia » Sat May 05, 2018 2:27 pm

My set is fine so far but I can confirm that French members (on DVD Classik notably) are reporting bronzing issues for quite some time now.

Aunt Peg

#394 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun May 06, 2018 2:36 am

I checked The Green Ray and it was fine. Can anyone provide a link to the discussions on Blu Ray.com and Classik.com as I am unable to locate the specific discussions.

Will be most annoyed if these discs begin to fail over time.

furbicide

#395 Post by furbicide » Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 am

domino harvey wrote:Posters on the Blu-ray.com forum are reporting that some copies of the Potemkine set are bronzing, specifically the Green Ray...
That’s pretty alarming! Was it just the blu-rays, or the DVDs too? Do you have a link to the thread?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#396 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:26 pm

I was moving and my box set fell twenty feet and split open at the bottom

While spot checking all of the discs (thankfully none of the individual cases were harmed), I sadly could see my copy of Le reyon vert was indeed clouded up. Not a huge deal since I have the Arrow set, but still lame

perkizitore

#397 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I just checked mine and it looks fine. Another reminder of how big my kevyip is!

fdm

#398 Post by fdm » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:00 pm

I went ahead a month or so ago and dumped all the blu-rays to hard disk as iso files.

The box set itself I made my way through it over the course of I don't know how many years, but just finished it maybe six months ago. Even went through the non-subtitled supplements along the way, watched most of them, skimmed (all the way) through some of the longer ones, usually had little/no idea of what they were going on about.

Picked up the Arrow set last sale, maybe that will help fill in some blanks with its supplements.

(That picture was how I felt when the big Potemkine box arrived, it was pretty well trashed, but intact. Got a good deal to keep it though, so no more tears after that, just one big happy dance.)

Kauno

#399 Post by Kauno » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:03 pm

My Potemkine set arrived in pieces and it made my heart physically ache. Luckily, my friend is a paper conservator - she patched it up. Such friends are golden.

Aunt Peg

#400 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:09 am

I posted this on Blu Ray Forum I thought I should also include it on this forum:

I highly recommend anyone owning this set to start watching (or re-watching) it if you haven't yet had a chance because I've had my first disc failure.

There have been reports of these Blu Rays failing (notably The Green Ray), however my Pauline at the Beach simply would not play on my preferred player.

It did play fine on two other players but the disc has that dark ring on the inner circle of the disc which can mean the end or the beginning of the end of the disc. The disc was pressed by QOL which are responsible for a number of Blu Ray disc failures in France.

This could also be a case of the player & the disc simply 'not liking' each other which can happen from time to time but I'll have to see what happens when I watch all the other films and what happens in the future.

I suppose on the only bright outcome in respect of this boxset is that it comes with DVDs, which to date and to my knowledge to failures have been reported.

I did watch Love in the Afternoon two weeks ago on the same player and there were no problems but am planning to revisit all the films (one a week) before they (may) go bad.