Abbas Kiarostami

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
whaleallright

#26 Post by whaleallright » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:08 pm

So do the films on this Korean DVD box set have English subtitles?

They are: Taste of Cherry, Through the Olive Trees, Life and Nothing More, Where Is My Friend's House?

kieslowski

#27 Post by kieslowski » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:36 pm

The page you link to implies that only Taste Of Cherry has English subs, but it'd be good if someone could confirm this...

kiarostami

#28 Post by kiarostami » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Why would the MK2 discs not have English subs? This is very disappointing since no one else seems to be stepping up recently to do any of his work justice. Where are his short works? The rest of Koker? Arghhh!

Alyosha

#29 Post by Alyosha » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:21 am

I watched Kiarostami's "Close Up" for the first time today and after a search on the net I found out it's been released recently on R2 in what seems as a much better version than the R1

Steven H

#30 Post by Steven H » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:06 am

The Koker Trilogy (along with The White Baloon) were released in Spain a few years back (here's some information in spanish), but it now seems to be out of print, according to dvdgo.com. There are also a few Japanese releases that are also out of print. Its ridiculous that these films aren't available on DVD.

whaleallright

[url=http://url]URL text[/url]

#31 Post by whaleallright » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:54 am

Good news:

Les Films du paradoxe of France have released, or are just about to release, a set of Kiarostami films to DVD (with only French subtitles):

Le Passager/ The Traveller (1974) + Le Pain et la rue/ Bread and Alley (1970)

Et la vie continue/ Life and Nothing More.. (1991) + Le Choeur/ The Chorus (1982)

Où est la maison de mon ami?/ Where Is the Friend's House? (1987) + La Récréation/ Breaktime (1972)

Devoirs du soir/ Homework (1989) + Deux solutions pour un problème/ Two Solutions for One Problem (1975)

Le Costume de mariage/ A Suit for Wedding (1976) + Expérience/ The Experience (1973)

See the link to the PDF catalog

Each DVD is about 20 euros.

ellipsis7

#32 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:53 am

That's doubly good - I can replace my DVD-R 's of these films transferred from VHS off air copies (although with Eng subs), and also see THE WEDDING SUIT & EXPERIENCE for the first time... Fantastic news!

There are still other AK films yet to be scheduled for release anywhere, which are well worth seeing, and hopefully will make DVD eventually...

My own impressions of several standout titles...
In the wake of revolutionary chaos and turmoil, TOOTHACHE (1980) is a bizarre gem focussing on the subject of dental hygiene, while the probing masterwork ORDERLY AND DISORDERLY (1981), uses self-reflexivity and repetition to interrogate order and disorder and the ability to engineer both. While SOLUTION (1978) bursts unexpectedly into an unfettered celebration of freedom and nature, out of the story of a man seeking to return with his puncture repaired tyre to his abandoned car.

Longer pieces CASE NO 1 NO 2 (1979) features disruption in a school classroom and seven students suspended for a week by the teacher, because no one will own up. Adults, including parents, educational experts, tv pundits, mullahs and government ministers, wrangle over the nature of rebellion and resolution, issues of honesty, discipline, solidarity and betrayal. The prevailing thought is to recommend that the students should stick to their guns and stay silent, and even suggests a form of re-education for the teacher. The sore memory of the Shah's secret police is raw and recent. A wily Ayatollah judge from the revolutionary religious courts opines that the pupils may have held out for a greater good for the full seven days, but when they are readmitted to the classroom, they will have changed nothing, as the system and the teacher and they themselves remain just as before. Finally FELLOW CITIZEN (1983), with a foretaste of 10, intriguingly spends an hour focussing on the heated conversations of a harassed traffic warden and the motorists who are trying to gain access to a restricted traffic zone. In a theocracy that bans exposure of the human body, irate hospital bound drivers are shown waving chest x-rays under the nose of the put upon public official!

drakula

#33 Post by drakula » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:47 am

Hi, does anyone know if Kiarostami's short documentary Roads of Kiarostami is released on DVD anywhere? I'm hoping it's being released with some of his recent feature films, since it's only 30plus minutes long

markhax

#34 Post by markhax » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:35 am

A few weeks ago I saw the exhibition "Correspondances" on Victor Erice and Kiarostami at the Centre Pompidou in Paris. The book shop was selling a "Coffret Kiarostami", put out by MK2, a 7-DVD set with ABC Africa, Through the Olive Trees, Taste of Cherry, Ten, The Wind will Carry Us. It's available at Amazon.fr for 73 Euros. I don't know whether there are English subtitles.

ellipsis7

#35 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:10 am

ABC AFRICA has an English soundtrack, TEN & THE WIND WILL CARRY US should have English subs if they are the same as MK2's single film releases of the films... While THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES and A TASTE OF CHERRY only have French subs on the MK2 single film releases...

Just received the first 3 AK discs released by Les Filmes du Paradoxe - LE PASSAGER/THE TRAVELLER, ET LA VIE CONTINUE/AND LIFE GOES ON & OU EST LA MAISON DE MON AMI?/WHERE IS THE FRIEND'S HOUSE? - very nicely packaged and decent superior transfers (non-anamorphic 14:9 for AND LIFE & FRIEND'S HOUSE) of what appears to be prints with some restoration work... CNC gets a credit, so maybe they were involved...

Arn777

#36 Post by Arn777 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:15 am

CNC does not do any restauration but provide some funding to dvd publishers to help promote Cinema. I believe these are just overall funding that are not specific to restauration work, but can be used for marketing etc.

godardslave

#37 Post by godardslave » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:49 am

ellipsis7 wrote:Just received the first 3 AK discs released by Les Filmes du Paradoxe - LE PASSAGER/THE TRAVELLER, ET LA VIE CONTINUE/AND LIFE GOES ON & OU EST LA MAISON DE MON AMI?/WHERE IS THE FRIEND'S HOUSE? - very nicely packaged and decent superior transfers (non-anamorphic 14:9 for AND LIFE & FRIEND'S HOUSE) of what appears to be prints with some restoration work... CNC gets a credit, so maybe they were involved...
do those releases have english subtitles or no?

ellipsis7

#38 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:12 pm

No English subtitles, but good French ones...

foggy eyes

#39 Post by foggy eyes » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:24 pm

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet, but the recent Soda Pictures R2 of Close-Up is about a hundred times better than the Facets release - vastly improved transfer, removable subs and Geoff Andrew interview. Essential.

ellipsis7

#40 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:41 am

foggy eyes wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet, but the recent Soda Pictures R2 of Close-Up is about a hundred times better than the Facets release - vastly improved transfer, removable subs and Geoff Andrew interview. Essential.
I followed your advice, foggy, and can confirm that this is absolutely so... Out with my crappy Facets disc, now that I've obtained the really rather wonderful Soda version....

denti alligator

#41 Post by denti alligator » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:58 am

I'm very tempted by these French discs, but who would have the rights or these in R1?

And can someone link to the Soda Pictures DVD of Close-Up, please.

Criterion putting these films out would be the greatest DVD even of the decade (next to a box of Yang films). What is stopping them or anyone from lavishly releasing AK's films in R1?? I sooo badly want these.

ellipsis7

#42 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:10 am

Soda pics CLOSE-UP disc here

denti alligator

#43 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:20 pm

Will this be the same as this out of print set?

And would Artificial Eye get the UK rights to these? I'd like to have Through the Olive Trees with English subs.

ellipsis7

#44 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:53 pm

It appears to be the case, but do confirm - try checking directly with MK2... 2 more Kiarostami discs HOMEWORK/DEVOIRS DU SOIR & THE WEDDING DRESS/LE COSTUME DE MARRIAGE are due from Les Films du Paradoxe, but they inform me, not before March 2009....

AE did release THROUGH THE OLIVE TREES on VHs, but nothing stirring yet for a DVD - do they still have rights I wonder?...

denti alligator

#45 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:26 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:2 more Kiarostami discs HOMEWORK/DEVOIRS DU SOIR & THE WEDDING DRESS/LE COSTUME DE MARRIAGE are due from Les Films du Paradoxe, but they inform me, not before March 2009....
These are both among his very best works, especially Homework.

When will these early Kiarostamis start appearing in region 1 land?

ellipsis7

#46 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:13 am

And actually on that upcoming disc of THE WEDDING DRESS/LE COSTUME DE MARRIAGE (1976/54min) the extra is EXPERIENCE (1973), at R/T 60 min is really a 2nd feature, adding to the delights in store 12 months time...

chaddoli

#47 Post by chaddoli » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Not sure where to put this - does Kiarostami have a filmmaker thread?

From indieWIRE's Venice '08 announcement:
"Shirin," directed by Abbas Kiarostami - Iran
Does anyone know anything about this project?

John Cope

#48 Post by John Cope » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:50 pm

No. Someone was trying to suggest that this was the Binoche project but that's highly unlikely unless the title has been changed (among other factors). I don't think that's even been shot yet. Anyway, apparently it's not a short or a doc and is perhaps the Iran based feature he was supposed to make along with the Binoche picture. I just wonder where he'll go next with his narrative filmmaking. I'd love to see the awesome austerity of Five somehow infect his new work.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#49 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:35 pm

I read around the time of Cannes (where Shirin was expected to premiere but didn't) that it's an experimental film about the audience at an all-female movie screening in Tehran -- apparently a heavily expanded and augmented version of his To Each His Cinema contribution. According to this, it's somehow connected to "a legendary Persian love story about an emperor’s wife who gave her heart to a humble lover."

ellipsis7

#50 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:27 am

Here's the rundown of current AK projects...

COSI FAN TUTTE on stage & CERTIFIED COPY on film...
Kiarostami takes on 'Cosi Fan Tutte'
Director to stage opera at Aix-en-Provence
By BRYAN PEARSON
Variety.com Feb 2008

BAGHDAD -- Iranian auteur Abbas Kiarostami is to try his adept hand at opera. The award-winning director plans to stage Mozart's "Cosi Fan Tutte" at July's prestigious Aix-en-Provence music festival in southern France.
"This is a new experience that moves me highly," says Kiarostami, who won the 1997 Palme d'Or at Cannes for his "Taste of Cherry."

Festival directors said the production would be staged eight times between July 4 and 19.

French baroque conductor Christophe Rousset will take charge of musical direction while London's English National Opera is co-producing.

"I have to say that the first time we discussed it I had decided not to accept, that this was not my work, that I would not be able to do it," the Iranian director told reporters.

Over time, however, he had come to realize that Mozart's 1790 opera about love had greater universal meaning.

"We all make music, we just change instruments," he adds. "Now that I've changed I've come to realize that it's not more difficult than film.

"There are many constraints in opera, but they keep you on the rails."

Kiarostami's next pic, "The Certified Copy," starring Juliette Binoche will be his first feature made outside his native country. Pic is set to start shooting in March in Tuscany.

Italian producer Angelo Barbagallo's Rome-based Bibi Film will co-produce the Iranian's first work toplining a Western star, which Gaul's MK2 is producing.

Binoche will play a French art gallery owner who falls for an older novelist, played by French thesp Sami Frey, as they travel around the Chianti countryside.

Binoche spent time in Iran with Kiarostami last month to prepare for her role, irritating local pols who are not pleased that the Iranian helmer cast Binoche, calling it "cultural destruction."

"Certified Copy" will be Kiarostami's first feature since "Ten," shot in 2002, which was about women in Tehran.
Production of CERTIFIED COPY has since been pushed back to Summer 2009..

Whereas SHIRIN, when it was slated for Cannes was billed as...
Abbas Kiarostami's experimental "Shirin," which consists of shots of women watching a movie
Like his TA'AZIYEH (the installation filmed round a theatrical performance of the traditional Iranian play) SHIRIN presumably will concentrate on the audience's engagement with the movie much more than the movie itself...