French DVD & Blu-ray Recommendations

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jonathan S

Re: French R2 Recommendations

#51 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 am

Tom Peeping wrote:The fascinating Apache Drums (Val Lewton producer / Hugo Fregonese director, 1951) has just been released in France by Sidonis on a beautiful transfer. French title : "Quand les tambours s'arrêteront". First time ever on DVD.
If anyone actually has this release, could you confirm please that the French subs are optional, not fixed? I presume the extras are not English-friendly but I'm not too worried about that. It does appear to be complete - for at least 15 years every UK TV showing has been cut by about three minutes.

Stefan Andersson

The Wonderful Country (1959) on Blu in France

#52 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 am

Robert Parrish´s The Wonderful Country (1959), starring Robert Mitchum, has been released by Sidonis on Blu in France. Screen shots:
http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtop ... 32&t=34409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This seems to be the new French restoration shown at 2012 film festival in Lyon, France.

Pre-order the Blu/DVD 2-disc set here:

http://www.amazon.fr/LAventurier-du-Rio ... B0097D3QDO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It´s a bit expensive. Perhaps there will be a separate Blu release later.

Kauno

Re: French DVD & Blu-ray Recommendations

#53 Post by Kauno » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 am

The old French disc of Youssef Chahine's Al-massir (Destiny) has English subtitles. Does anyone have idea what's the picture quality like?

rockysds

#54 Post by rockysds » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:54 am

René Vautier's "Afrique 50", listed with English subtitles.

teritor

#55 Post by teritor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello all,

Being a fan of foreign movies especially European, I'm glad to join this forum. I've been looking for this French movie. If someone could tell where to purchase from, I'll appreciate it. Thanks!

En vacances (2000)
Also known as - Holiday

Director: Yves Hanchar
Writers: Jacky Cukier, Yves Hanchar
Stars: Julie Chesneau, Valérie Dablemont, Didier De Neck

Code: Select all

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216735

FrauBlucher

#56 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 pm

This is coming in France. Can we expect these to be of high quality?
The Cinema of Michael Haneke on blu ray

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#57 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:55 am

http://www.amazon.fr/49e-parall%C3%A8le ... +parallele" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted in Michael Powell thread also

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#58 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:16 pm

After a rocky start with some quality control issues on the first run of Providence Jupiter have hopefully sorted themselves out and now boast a fistful of Goretta next year. And yes The Lacemaker is amongst them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#59 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:25 am

I haven't yet, because hey, with all these boxsets from past weeks, I'm poor until next payday, but will pick it up asap.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#60 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:18 pm

david hare wrote:Tenia, I really think the shorter cut is a big problem for this release. Maybe you should just DL prior.
I will most likely check the French reviews (they will probably be some either at DVD Classik or Ecranlarge, but nothing so far), but since I've never seen the movie before, I'm unsure how this cut will negatively impact the watching. Otherwise, I'll have a look through other sources of supply.

feihong

#61 Post by feihong » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:32 am

I'm looking at the French blu-ray of Hiroshima, Mon Amour right now, and it looks incredible. Lovely grain, great detail, huge depth of field. The sound is really clean and clear, also. No English subtitles--no subtitles of any kind. But it looks great, and bodes well for a future English language release, I would bet.

yann

#62 Post by yann » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 pm

The Betty Blue: Deluxe 2 Disc Edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betty-Blue-Delu ... B00F1BKSWS

French w English subs

Great Image Quality

Easy to write off as a guilty pleasure, but to me it's always been a very powerful film.

I bought it mainly for the included theatrical version, which to my mind is much better than the director's cut and wasn't widely available previously.

Finch

#63 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 am

Svet reviews the French BD of Les Mis:
The high-definition transfer uses as a foundation Pathe's 4K restoration and reconstruction of Les Miserables which was completed at L'Immagine Ritrovata, Bologna, Italy, in 2012. Generally speaking, the film now looks a lot healthier. Various stabilization improvements have also been performed and as a result there are virtually no transition issues. Depth and clarity are pleasing, with the daylight footage, in particular, frequently looking appropriately sharp and vibrant. Contrast levels are also stable, though some insignificant inherited fluctuations remain. Furthermore, some minor denoising corrections have been applied, but grain is retained and for the most part appears well resolved. Unsurprisingly, the film has a pleasing organic look. There are no traces of compromising sharpening adjustments. Scratches, debris, stains, damage marks, and cuts have been removed as best as possible. The encoding and compression are managed well -- the first two installments of Les Miserables are placed on Disc One, while the third installment and all the supplemental features are placed on Disc Two. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray release.

Ann Harding

#64 Post by Ann Harding » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:15 am

Pathé just released two combo Blu-ray/DVDs of two French classics: Le Bonheur (1935, Marcel L'Herbier) and Boudu sauvé des eaux (1932, J. Renoir). They have both English subs. If the Renoir has already been released in the UK, it's the first ever edition of the L'Herbier (one of his best films).

Oedipax

#65 Post by Oedipax » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 am

Does anyone have the French bluray of The Immigrant?

I can't find any info on whether 1) the French subs are optional and 2) if there's an option for French subs only on the Polish sections (which is something I've seen floating around unofficially online)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#66 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 am

Ann Harding wrote:Pathé just released two combo Blu-ray/DVDs of two French classics: Le Bonheur (1935, Marcel L'Herbier) and Boudu sauvé des eaux (1932, J. Renoir). They have both English subs. If the Renoir has already been released in the UK, it's the first ever edition of the L'Herbier (one of his best films).
I tested them for Retro HD, Boudu has most likely the same PQ / AQ than the Park Circus disc, Le bonheur is a very BD all around which I strongly recommend.
Oedipax wrote:Does anyone have the French bluray of The Immigrant?

I can't find any info on whether 1) the French subs are optional and 2) if there's an option for French subs only on the Polish sections (which is something I've seen floating around unofficially online)
I watched this one yesterday, and it only have full French forced subs (meaning : if you choose the original track, you have subs for English and Polish, and forced subs).
I guess the French subs for only the Polish sections exist, but they are linked to the french dub.

Oedipax

#67 Post by Oedipax » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, tenia! I guess I'll wait on a US or UK blu then.

Aunt Peg

#68 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 pm

I see that the James Gray film The Immigrant, shown in competition at Cannes last year, is out on Blu Ray in France from Wild Side.

Anyone know if the French subtitles are removable?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#69 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:12 am

Aunt Peg wrote:I see that the James Gray film The Immigrant, shown in competition at Cannes last year, is out on Blu Ray in France from Wild Side.

They are not removable without 'engineering' - as the post above can confirm also.

Koukol

#70 Post by Koukol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:48 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Aunt Peg wrote:I see that the James Gray film The Immigrant, shown in competition at Cannes last year, is out on Blu Ray in France from Wild Side.

They are not removable without 'engineering' - as the post above can confirm also.

Where can I find details on this "engineering"?

Oedipax

#71 Post by Oedipax » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 am

Koukol wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:

Where can I find details on this "engineering"?
Well, once a film has been ripped to a computer hard drive, all sorts of things are possible (including no longer displaying unwanted subs, or translating said subs to another language, etc).

TMDaines

#72 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 am

You don't even have to rip it: just watch it in VLC.

unclehulot

#73 Post by unclehulot » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:06 am

I think XBMC will work as well, in the more recent versions?

Aunt Peg

#74 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 am

FNAC have some more WB exclusives.

I have ordered Red Dust, The Unsuspected & Fast Walking. There are a host of other titles that have been released via FNAC that are only available in the US on DVD-Rs.

Also FNAC appears to be about the only place one can purchase the DVD of Providence (Resnais) at a reasonable price if you live outside of France.

Aunt Peg

#75 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 am

I received my FNAC order.

Red Dust, Fast Walking & The Unsuspected are all pressed discs with options to watch to films without subtitles.

Fast Walking is to be avoided. It's 4x3 cropped as opposed to the Warners Archive which is 16x9 and with much better picture quality.

Red Dust appears to be the same print as the Warner Archive, though French disc of The Unsuspected looked better. What is interesting about the French Red Dust & The Unsuspected is that they are not 4X3 in that they have about an inch more picture on both sides without loosing barely anything at the top and bottom. To watch them properly ones TV must be set to 16x9. If it is set to 4x3 the picture is squashed up.

Needless to say Providence looked very good and does not have forced subtitles. I'll be watching the film again later this week as I haven't seen it since it was first released.