Hungarian films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: Hungarian films on DVD

#251 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am

It will presumably also be the new restoration, so even if it's DVD-only it should still be a step up from the Second Run disc.

MaNDA's edition of The Red and the White is light years ahead of anyone else's - the best picture of any edition and some superb (and fully English-friendly) extras, including the notorious and borderline incomprehensible Soviet cut, created in a futile attempt to try to turn Jancsó's elliptical footage into the patriotic celebration of Soviet-Hungarian comradeship that the USSR thought it was co-funding.

TMDaines

#252 Post by TMDaines » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:04 am

I really need to make another lira.hu order.

CR2

#253 Post by CR2 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 pm

petoluk wrote:And I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hungarian Blu-ray of Liza, a rókatündér / Liza the Fox-Fairy - the best comedy I've seen for quite some time, with catchy J-pop tunes to boot! :D
Dumb question, Where could I actually get this? It sounds quite up my alley, but I didn't see a listing on lira.hu which is where I'd usually go for a Hungarian film, and the other site I did just find a listing on wants an insane amount for shipping.

petoluk

#254 Post by petoluk » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:35 am

CR2 wrote:Dumb question, Where could I actually get this? It sounds quite up my alley, but I didn't see a listing on lira.hu which is where I'd usually go for a Hungarian film, and the other site I did just find a listing on wants an insane amount for shipping.
Is the other site Libri.hu by any chance? That's where I got it, and the shipping (to CZ) was 3,810 Ft - expensive (compared to their disc prices), but my order was quite big, so the shipping per title was peanuts...

MichaelB

#255 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:00 am

I order from Hungary once a year, with the specific aim of keeping postage as low as possible per item. I don't think I've made an order with fewer than a dozen items.

TheDoug

#256 Post by TheDoug » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm hoping to order the following Hungarian based movie, SAUL FIA which is being released on April 15, 2016 in special 3-disk limted edition format: http://magyar.film.hu/filmhu/hir/diszdo ... l-fia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Hungarian on-line source would anyone reccomend for ordering lira.hu or libri.hu? I believe both ship to the United States but which has the better shipping fees?

L.A.

#257 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 am

Just received my copy and checked: the feature film and even the *extras are subtitled in English.

* Original Silent Test Shoot (12 min 13 sec), Newsreel Documentary Indiántörténet / Red Indian Story (1961) (11 min 50 sec) and excerpts from László Nádasy's documentary Miklós Jancsó - Illusions (1996) (10 min 39 sec)

L.A.

#258 Post by L.A. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:49 am

I emailed MaNDA and thanked them for the completely English-friendly release of The Round-Up (1965). Also, I have been curious whether they consider going into Blu-ray and here is their response:
MaNDA wrote:We’re considering releasing one or two films on blu-ray later this year, however as the blu-ray market has never picked up in Hungary it’s just a plan and not a certainty.
Thumbs-up.

MichaelB

#259 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 am

Yes, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia are similar - it's all too clear that Blu-ray is an expensive niche format over there and that there's very little serious interest in back-catalogue stuff.

L.A.

#260 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:46 pm

L.A. wrote:Szaffi (1985), another animation directed by Attila Dargay coming from MaNDA - according to Xpress.hu - on September 15th.
Anyone planning some e-shopping at Lira or Libri then I recommend this (only like 3,00€). Brilliant stuff. Again, everything subbed in English.

Only one extra but a good one: a 13-minute animated short from Dargay called Dióbél királyfi / Prince Walnut (1965).

L.A.

#261 Post by L.A. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:47 am

L.A. wrote:Also, if I'm not mistaken, The Exile (1914) directed by Michael Curtiz should be coming on DVD at some point. It was restored couple years ago, fortunately some of his Hungarian films survive.
Finally.

L.A.

#262 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 am

MichaelB

#263 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:20 am

Ooh yes - that looks very impressive indeed.

If I read Google Translate correctly, it's a project comprising releases in June and December that seeks to explore the perennial theme of 1956 (which has understandably underpinned so much serious Hungarian cinema, either directly or obliquely) by combining previously unreleased (by them) features with newsreels and other archival materials. The features mentioned in the description include:

The Miracle Striker (Márton Keleti, 1956)
Before Midnight (György Révész, 1957)
Love (Károly Makk, 1970)
Angi Vera (Pál Gábor, 1978)
The Stud Farm (András Kovács, 1978)
Another Way (Károly Makk, 1982)

The first title suggests that they're casting the net pretty wide, as that film appears to be about the prowess of the Hungarian national football team, which was statistically arguably the greatest in the world in 1956.

Aunt Peg

#264 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:Ooh yes - that looks very impressive indeed.

If I read Google Translate correctly, it's a project comprising releases in June and December that seeks to explore the perennial theme of 1956 (which has understandably underpinned so much serious Hungarian cinema, either directly or obliquely) by combining previously unreleased (by them) features with newsreels and other archival materials. The features mentioned in the description include:

Love (Károly Makk, 1970)

The first title suggests that they're casting the net pretty wide, as that film appears to be about the prowess of the Hungarian national football team, which was statistically arguably the greatest in the world in 1956.
If Angi Vera has English subtitles I'll buy them just for that! Have been waiting years for that to be released.

MichaelB

#265 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:44 pm

The extras sometimes aren't English-friendly, but in my experience the main features invariably are.

TheDoug

#266 Post by TheDoug » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:38 pm

Love (Károly Makk, 1970)

What is the best Hungarian on-line store to purchase this dvd?

MichaelB

Hungarian films on DVD

#267 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 am

I generally use lira.hu, but they don't seem to be advertising it yet.

Tinshed

#268 Post by Tinshed » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 am

What is the best Hungarian on-line store to purchase this dvd?
Although I have only used Libri.hu only once, I was very impressed and will certainly use them again. Easy-to-use web-site, available in English too, and they shipped my goods, to other side of the world, in very quick time. And I could track my goods all the way. Great service.

L.A.

#269 Post by L.A. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:The Miracle Striker (Márton Keleti, 1956)
Love (Károly Makk, 1970)
Again, contacted MaNDA about these. Got a reply: the feature films and even the extras will be subbed in English. :D

I'll say it again that MaNDA is definitely one of my favorite labels.

DeprongMori

#270 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Back in 1998, I saw a Hungarian adaptation of James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice called Szenvedély (Passion) which was written and directed by György Fehér. (Béla Tarr is credited on the screenplay as well.) Fehér had done several screenplays for Tarr, including Werckmeister Harmonies. He died in 2002.

I have so far been unable to find any home video release of this film. Has anyone heard any rumors or know of a source on DVD or Blu (with English subtitles)? It's one of those films that has stuck with me and I am very curious to see it again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141874/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#271 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:54 pm

His film Twilight is even better though unfortunately neither one is available on home video.

DeprongMori

#272 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if the version of Szürkület/Twilight on YouTube is watchable. Since the film image in Passion was deliberately distressed to the point where it looked like it was unearthed from a midden heap, the YouTube quality on this may not be a detriment if this one follows the same visual principles.

L.A.

#273 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:29 am

feketekino

#274 Post by feketekino » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:15 am

Love (Károly Makk, 1970)

Each title will be released individually, 1 per month through December.

L.A.

#275 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:27 am

Last week I emailed MaNDA regarding their upcoming releases and with permission this is what is in store for the coming months:
MaNDA wrote:Every DVD and their bonus features will be subtitled in English.
The timing is somewhat loose, we try to keep to following schedule:

last week of June:
- Oh, Bloody Life (Te rongyos élet, 1983 by Péter Bacsó)

third week of July:
- Eldorardo (1988 by Géza Bereményi)

second half of August:
- Diary of my Loves (Napló szerelmeimnek, 1987 by Márta Mészáros) - currently restored

September:
- Love (Szerelem, 1970) by Károly Makk - currently restored
- Angi Vera (1978 by Pál Gábor) - currently restored
- Another Way (Egymásra nézve, 1982 by Károly Makk) - currently restored

first half of October:
- 1956 Newsreel Collection (4 discs, 500+ minutes of unedited, newly scanned newsreels from the year) accompanied with a 30 minutes mini-documentary with amatuer footages about the days of the revolution (when no newsreel was produced by the state).

first half of November:
- The Football Star (A csodacsatár, 1956 by György Révész) - currently under restoration

first week of December:
- At Midnight (Éjfélkor, 1957 by György Révész) - currently under restoration

Expected early next year:
- Whooping Cough (Szamárköhögés, 1986 by Péter Gárdos) - currently restored
- Lucky Daniel (Szerencsés Dániel, 1982 by Pál Sándor) - currently restored
Some of the DVD publications remember or are somehow connected to the 1956 revolution.
Last edited by L.A. on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.