DVDBeaver

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: DVDBeaver

#776 Post by swo17 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:43 pm

He roots through all the DVDs to find the best ones, just like a beaver does with logs or whatever

MichaelB

#777 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:41 am

Yes, it's worth bearing in mind that not everyone immediately starts doing Beavis and Butt-Head impersonations when they hear the word "beaver" - as my wife (formerly Mrs Beaver, courtesy of her first marriage) found out the hard way when telling an elderly relative of mine the entirely truthful story about how she had to change her name by deed poll after beginning midwifery training because too many people in the classroom were audibly giggling. She then realised to her visible horror that the relative in question simply didn't get why this was meant to be amusing.

Similarly, while there's a decent chance that Colin will find the name of this Swedish economist as hilarious as I did, this almost certainly won't be true of most other people posting here.

Jonathan S

#778 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:21 am

In 1922, "Beaver" was merely British slang for a bearded man when that had become unfashionable enough to form the subject of a comic song. There was a game at the time in which points were scored for sighting bearded men and shouting, "Beaver!" (Harry Champion did perform ribald songs but they tended to be phallic, e.g. A Little Bit of Cucumber, The End of My Old Cigar).
Last edited by Jonathan S on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#779 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:21 am

That sounds brilliant - who’s for a revival?

Finch

#780 Post by Finch » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:59 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:41 am
Similarly, while there's a decent chance that Colin will find the name of this Swedish economist as hilarious as I did, this almost certainly won't be true of most other people posting here.
I badly needed a laugh this morning, so thank you.

reaky

#781 Post by reaky » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:33 pm

Let’s pause to enjoy this hymn to wildlife conservation. https://youtu.be/eFHbq_IRMWU?si=iQklxNE2DMiLqgTP

jazzo

#782 Post by jazzo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 pm

I guess, given the title, it isn't that surprising, but Carrie Coon's suspicions come to full fruition with Gary's new review of Erotic Ghost Story (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film12/blu-ray ... lu-ray.htm). Engage private browsing mode, Tracy!