Park Chan-wook

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Park Chan-Wook on DVD

#76 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am

rockysds wrote:Artificial Eye is releasing The Handmaiden on blu-ray in both a release with just the theatrical cut and one with both the theatrical cut and an extended (Director's?) cut in August.
Svet is head over heels for it, but it is indeed Region B locked so YMMV

Not exactly sure how 73 minutes of extras are worthy of 5 stars (though the interview with Park sounds nice), but I doubt Pro-B watches them anyway

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Park Chan-Wook on DVD

#77 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I doubt Pro-B watches them anyway
Reading how he describes them, he seems to have watched these ones at least.
As for the rating, I suppose the inclusion of the EC might have weighted on it which, combined with the 73 min of extras, would explain the 5/5.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Park Chan-wook

#78 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#79 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:00 pm

“Life is But a Dream”, a 21-minute short film from Park for Apple’s “Shot on an iPhone” series

Calvin

#80 Post by Calvin » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm

Plain Archive have announced a 4K UHD release of a director's cut of The Little Drummer Girl
The Little Drummer Girl: Director’s Cut - 4K Transfer
We’ve described the video as 4K ‘Native’. According to the LAB tasked with DI, it means: NOT 2K Upscaled.
The Little Drummer Girl was shot in 3.4K(source). While putting the Director’s Cut together, the 3.4K source was slightly upconverted to 4K DI. A mere 1% of the show has been 2K upscaled due to CGI.
The original televised version shown by the BBC and AMC is 2K DI. The IMDB page states 2K DI, which reflects the broadcast version. The Little Drummer Girl: Director’s Cut is available exclusively from Watcha, a Korean streaming service and Plain Archive.

yoloswegmaster

#81 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:59 pm

For any PCW fans who wants to complete his filmography, a 1080p copy of 'Trio' has surfaced online despite PCW wanting to destroy all copies of it (though I'm not too sure if this is actually true or if its just a rumour).

A Tempted Christ

#82 Post by A Tempted Christ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:54 pm

This is fantastic news! Apparently it was playing on a Korean streaming service called WAVVE and someone ripped it from there.

Considering the picture quality and the correct aspect ratio (in contrast with 2014's The Moon Is... The Sun's Dream Blu-ray), I'd say this is sourced from a new restoration. While it is true that he considers JSA his debut (he said people think JSA is his first film and he prefers to keep it that way), I don't think he's ever said that he wants to wipe his first two films out of existence. He may not oversee their restoration and re-release but if they ever ask for his approval, he'd probably give his blessing.

yoloswegmaster

#83 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:59 pm

A Tempted Christ wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:54 pm
This is fantastic news! Apparently it was playing on a Korean streaming service called WAVVE and someone ripped it from there.

Considering the picture quality and the correct aspect ratio (in contrast with 2014's The Moon Is... The Sun's Dream Blu-ray), I'd say this is sourced from a new restoration. While it is true that he considers JSA his debut (he said people think JSA is his first film and he prefers to keep it that way), I don't think he's ever said that he wants to wipe his first two films out of existence. He may not oversee their restoration and re-release but if they ever ask for his approval, he'd probably give his blessing.
Compare that screenshot with this one and you'll see what people had to go through just to watch this:

I only made the claim about him wanting to remove all traces of his first 2 films because a bunch of letterboxd users keep repeating it in their reviews but I'm struggling to find anything that will back that claim. Do you know what the quality of the subtitles for the 1080p version is like? I know the subs for the VHS copy was considered to be poor, so I wonder if it's the same for the new version.

theflirtydozen

#84 Post by theflirtydozen » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:11 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:59 pm
I only made the claim about him wanting to remove all traces of his first 2 films because a bunch of letterboxd users keep repeating it in their reviews but I'm struggling to find anything that will back that claim. Do you know what the quality of the subtitles for the 1080p version is like? I know the subs for the VHS copy was considered to be poor, so I wonder if it's the same for the new version.
I can answer this. My wife was the one who made the translation for the subtitles. Naturally, she was also one of the first reviews on Letterboxd. She is probably the English-language origin (at least on LB) of this factoid and I'd assume most reviews there got it from her.

I brought it up again to her after seeing your post and she dug up this link (in Korean) where she originally read that. However, she said that website is more like a wikia-type site, so PCW wanting to "destroy every copy of the first two" should be taken with a massive grain of salt. She actually couldn't find any other sources with that sentiment, but in this interview (also in Korean), PCW's statements are more in line with just considering JSA as his "first" film and hoping people continue to think that.