Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Ashirg

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#126 Post by Ashirg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Who has UK rights to Mario Bava's Kill, Baby... Kill! and Knives of the Avenger? They were both in the same Anchor Bay box released in US and UK and 3 other titles in that set already came out on blu from Arrow in UK and Kino Lorber in US. Now Kill, Baby... Kill! is getting Kino Lorber release in June. Should we wait for Arrow Video?

What A Disgrace

#127 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 pm

I have to wonder if Black Christmas and Carrie are in the works. Those two titles seem suitably big and 'heart attack'y. And perhaps Arrow has snagged the UK rights to Creepshow?

...or the US rights to Re-Animator?

rapta

#128 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 am

Ashirg wrote:Who has UK rights to Mario Bava's Kill, Baby... Kill! and Knives of the Avenger? They were both in the same Anchor Bay box released in US and UK and 3 other titles in that set already came out on blu from Arrow in UK and Kino Lorber in US. Now Kill, Baby... Kill! is getting Kino Lorber release in June. Should we wait for Arrow Video?
It has been hinted at that Arrow do indeed have Kill Baby Kill - there has been some talk over at Blu-ray.com.

They definitely have some Bava in the works anyway, and it's most likely going to be either the above or Planet of the Vampires (or both).
What A Disgrace wrote:I have to wonder if Black Christmas and Carrie are in the works. Those two titles seem suitably big and 'heart attack'y. And perhaps Arrow has snagged the UK rights to Creepshow?

...or the US rights to Re-Animator?
I would think they'd immediately have gone for Black Christmas once Metrodome lost the rights, but we'll have to wait and see. As for Carrie, I have asked a couple of times and hopefully they've worn them down and convinced Fox/MGM to let them release it (and possibly even do their own scan). Have been promised 'big announcements' later in the year so these two could be those very ones. I'd certainly be excited if they got either of them, but especially Carrie (to round off their De Palma collection).

Grand Wazoo

#129 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:22 am

Peerpee posted this on twitter. Looks like Fassbinder's Eight Hours Don't Make A Day is confirmed!

Ribs

#130 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 am

Arrow said on Twitter Tuesday there's no plans, so it's good to have a fairly direct confirmation that any direct "no plans" answer doesn't actually mean no plans.

rapta

#131 Post by rapta » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:36 am

Ribs wrote:Arrow said on Twitter Tuesday there's no plans, so it's good to have a fairly direct confirmation that any direct "no plans" answer doesn't actually mean no plans.
Just goes to show, eh? I was told Matinee was 'very unlikely' not too long ago and they ended up announcing it (ditto The Thing, though that was pretty constantly requested).

Strange they'd say 'no plans' about this around the same time as S&S went to print though. Possibly just a disconnect between different departments? Or just playing coy just so S&S could reveal it themselves...

Calvin

#132 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:24 am

I wonder if Arrow could put something together, similar to their Dekalog release, including some of Fassbinder's TV films as extras? Specifically the ones filmed on tape and less likely to be restored - The Coffeehouse, Bremen Freedom, Nora Helmer and Like a Bird on a Wire.

MichaelB

#133 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 am

The Fassbinder Foundation has stated that they ultimately want to restore everything.

Calvin

#134 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 am

That's good news. I wasn't sure how much restoration could be done on 2 inch magnetic tape, I presume they're limited to SD regardless?

MichaelB

#135 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:03 am

Well, you're not going to get any more resolution out of it! But whacking up the bitrate can't hurt.

kindaikun

#136 Post by kindaikun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:12 am

Don't think it's been mentioned already but this video from critic Mark Kermode's Kermode Uncut blog credits Eating Raoul to Arrow Video so perhaps we could be in for a release soon. Kermode even mentions having had to re-watch the film recently so he might even have been involved with extras for the release too? Hope so.

rapta

#137 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Pretty exciting news - someone noticed one of the frames from the April Fool's tease was from RONIN (John Frankenheimer, 1998), and so I reverse image searched the other frame and found that it too was from Ronin!

So yeah, that confirms Arrow are releasing it soon, most likely later this year. Potentially a brand new restoration too, judging by their recent restorations of MGM titles (Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, To Live and Die in L.A.)! Not to mention the nature of the tease, being about film restoration. Exciting!

JamesF

#138 Post by JamesF » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:55 am

kindaikun wrote:Don't think it's been mentioned already but this video from critic Mark Kermode's Kermode Uncut blog credits Eating Raoul to Arrow Video so perhaps we could be in for a release soon. Kermode even mentions having had to re-watch the film recently so he might even have been involved with extras for the release too? Hope so.
Eating Raoul was released on (long-OOP) DVD by Arrow in 2001, so that may be the reason for the credit. I'd happily upgrade again though if an edition came out with Bartel's short Naughty Nurse in colour (the Criterion edition inaccurately presents it in black-and-white).

What A Disgrace

#139 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 am

I wonder what the chances are of Arrow bringing out their own edition of the 4K The Good, The Bad and the Ugly in the UK.

Calvin

#140 Post by Calvin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:24 am

I've certainly got my fingers crossed; I can't see why MGM would license it out in the US but not for the UK market. It also looks as if there's room for improvement with even the upcoming Kino release, as it's not going to include Italian theatrical cut.

The dream would be a Dollars Trilogy set that collects together the best restorations, original English audio and varying cuts.

rapta

#141 Post by rapta » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:36 pm

I'd love to see Arrow try and tackle A Fistful of Dynamite (aka Duck, You Sucker!) one day, as well as The Dollars Trilogy (for obvious reasons). These are things I'd happily double-dip on if Arrow were to add extras and/or do their own scans.

Still holding onto the possibility of either Death Rides a Horse or The Great Silence from Arrow, but for some reason it's feeling less and less likely...

ianungstad

#142 Post by ianungstad » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:33 pm

MrLime said that another label has licensed Death Rides a Horse from MGM. Not sure who else it could be besides Arrow.

Ribs

#144 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:15 am

The announcement of Arrow's Books line also has some very encouraging wording about the future of both Arrow lines, particularly in how both are incorporating new releases and acquisitions but also in bits like this:
We hope you enjoy these latest developments, although please rest assured that these won’t detract from the number of films we are bringing you. In fact this new focus is coming at a time at which we are looking to increase our releases! Over the next few months we will start to pick up the pace and we bring you more from each label every month
And the next set of announcements will be April 21/24.

Ribs

#145 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 am

Two pretty obvious hints for this weekend's announcements:

Video:
(Psycho II)

Academy:
(The Round-Up)

(It's kind of a bummer to see a title graduate from Second Run, but this will probably be the first good release of Round-Up in the US ever and it'll probably look fantastic so it's hard to complain)

What A Disgrace

#146 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 am

I'm willing to guess that The Round Up is going to be a US only title, since it is Second Run in the UK. Also first day pre-order for all of my region locked cinephile friends or else bad things will happen.

I really hope, also, that this is just the first of many Second Run > Arrow Academy USA titles. I remember hearing some whispering that Criterion was going to do Ikarie XB-1, but it hasn't happened yet...

Ribs

#147 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 am

I'd be willing to guess that Second Run doesn't hold exclusive licenses for most of their titles from Eastern Europe, and considering the distribution partnership the two companies share that it wouldn't be a problem in this case anyway if they did.

rapta

#148 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey, could it be that The Round-Up will be a Second Run/Arrow Academy co-venture? Or perhaps Second Run in the UK and Arrow Academy in the US?

Thought the Psycho clue might be Gus Van Sant's remake but Psycho II makes more sense since there are literally two of the same image. Guess they had the urge to release another film starring Anthony Perkins - which begs the question, why they haven't cornered Pretty Poison yet?

Ribs

#149 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm

I *love* the idea of Second Run and Arrow coming together and pooling their resources on more than a basic distribution level, featuring more releases like this one or Ikarie or other things that have been restored being upgraded to BD with some more comprehensive features, though I guess it could have a negative impact on Second Run's catalog's sales if it became anything resembling a frequent partnership.

DeprongMori

#150 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

The two consecutive static juxtaposed frames of Norman Bates' office is obviously a clue for Douglas Gordon's 24 Hour Psycho :wink:

Excerpt