48 Night of the Demon

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 48 Night of the Demon

#51 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am
Am I reading the newsletter correctly that Indicator has already sold out of the limited edition and hence is releasing the standard edition next month? If so, I’m glad I caved and pre-ordered the limited edition without waiting for a sale!
It says that they "are selling out." You can still place an order directly, for now.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#52 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:31 am

You and your reading comprehension skills are so tiresome sometimes

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#53 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:38 am

I don't think it's sold out yet, but might be soon. But seemingly, Indicator didn't want to increase the LE batch run above 10k and are thus offering a standard re-release instead so that people have a fallback solution.

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:10 am

Mondo Digital:
It's unlikely that anyone will ever top the 2018 two-disc Blu-ray edition from Indicator, one of the most lavish treatments of a single genre film you're likely to see.

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#55 Post by alacal2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 am

1500 dollars for a copy of "Beating The Devil"!!! I suddenly realised I have a copy of this albeit a second printing. Was planning on reading this when my Indicator order arrives.
Last edited by alacal2 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#56 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 am

I suspect the content overlap between Beating the Devil and the Indicator package is pretty colossal, and not just because of the full-length commentary by its author.

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#57 Post by alacal2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:56 am

Shame its not got a slip cover.

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 am

alacal2 wrote:Shame its not got a slip cover.
What, the book? You’ll have to take that up with the publishers.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Our friends over at you-know-where have decided to cancel their pre orders en masse due to barely perceptible quality differences between the two cuts

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#60 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 am

The comparison I've seen there yesterday shows quite perceptible differences. One master looks a bit dated but quite precise, the new 2K restoration looks like a newer restoration from a visibly less precise source, and the 1.66 presentation looks like a dated filtered master.
I won't cancel my preorder, and will wait for more comparisons to ensure these arent just poorly taken caps, but the differences were clearly visible.

I suppose the shorter version is a dated HD master from a close source (maybe even the OCN) while the BFI restoration is much more recent but from a more remote source, and the 1.66 master is just... I dont know. Filtered at least.

However, all the people finding the Wild Side disc so good is beyond me. It has horizontal weird grain (like the Boston Strangler French release), is clearly dated and over compressed.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#61 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 am

I suppose that if there was only the restoration edit and less extras they'd be all over it like a rash. There just ain't no pleasing' some folks.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#62 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:48 am

In the present case, you're caricaturing what seems to me to be a legitimate remark.
For instance, they're asking why the 1.66 master has a visibly lower PQ. Wasn't it possible to recreate it from one of the 2 other better sources ? I don't think this is a particularly silly question to wonder.

I'll just copypaste what Eddie Larking said there, since it sums up both the initial impression about the set PQ, but also the discussion about it :
There appears to be 3 different masters used on the set.
For the shorter cuts on disc 2, it looks like they're using Sony's old HD master.
For the longer cuts in 1.66:1 on disc 1, they're using this same master after some fairly severe grain reduction. This is what appeared on the Wild Side disc.
For the longer cuts in 1.75:1 on disc 1, they're using the newer BFI 2K master. This was expected to be the best looking version but Sony's old master, pre-DNR, is clearly better to my eyes. I suspect Sony had a better element to work from than the BFI did.

Why this pre-DNR version of the Sony master is only available for the shorter cuts is odd and disappointing. Presumably Sony removed the grain for the DVD release years ago, and this is what they passed to Wildside and Indicator. But it stands to reason they should have a pre-DNR version of the longer cut too.

It also leaves Grover Crisp the opportunity to produce a definitive master of the film later down the line, by doing a new modern scan of the superior element Sony seemingly have available to them.
Meaning this Indicator edition might not be the final word on the film...
However, people saying they're cancelling to favor the DVD instead are just totally nuts. And people saying they should have kept their Wild Side release is silly too, since WS isn't using anything better than what Indicator seems to be using, but rather the worst master of the bunch. The Indicator release is at least more complete in terms of content (and is way more English friendly), and also has some cuts seemingly provided with better masters.

Apperson

#63 Post by Apperson » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 am

On one hand, the BFI master does look softer then I expected, though with every other version of the film available it's clearly the best package.

On the other hand, I can't remember the last time those forums ever unanimously thought a remaster was a clear improvement on previous editions (just look at the thread for City of the Living Dead to see people defending scanner noise).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#64 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 am

tenia wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:48 am
In the present case, you're caricaturing what seems to me to be a legitimate remark.

However, people saying they're cancelling to favor the DVD instead are just totally nuts. And people saying they should have kept their Wild Side release is silly too, since WS isn't using anything better than what Indicator seems to be using, but rather the worst master of the bunch. The Indicator release is at least more complete in terms of content (and is way more English friendly), and also has some cuts seemingly provided with better masters.
That was precisely what I was lampooning.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#65 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am

Apperson wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 am
On the other hand, I can't remember the last time those forums ever unanimously thought a remaster was a clear improvement on previous editions (just look at the thread for City of the Living Dead to see people defending scanner noise).
They have been raving over many recent Sony UHD releases, and are seemingly very happy about the recent Big Lebowski UHD releases.

Now, as a whole, I think such a populated forum is compelled to get dissonant voices, especially since it still seems to pack many unexperienced members. However, it seems unfair to point this dissonance, because the more populated it is the more expected it is to see some dissension, and to use this as an argument because these voices might not be representative of the consensus. You're pointing out the City of the Living Dead, but all the people defending scanner noise are getting laughed at there and most of the answers have been to try and reason them that the new remaster is vastly superior and more natural looking.

It seems also unfair because I have the impression their more knowledgeable members (Geoff D, 2-perf, probably Shingster too) have become more active there, while less knowledgeable members have reduced their activity, which would be a good trend, giving more space to good info and analysis and less space to superficial ones. I'm quite sure, though, that it's varying a lot from topic to topic, and I might just be lucky in reading only the topics lucky enough to have this trend.
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 am
That was precisely what I was lampooning.
This, I agree with you.
But providing the Mondo caps are accurate, I understand how some might think the PQ still leaves some margin for improvement.

Gerald Christie

#66 Post by Gerald Christie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:16 pm
Our friends over at you-know-where have decided to cancel their pre orders en masse due to barely perceptible quality differences between the two cuts
I like you and always enjoy reading your posts, but I honestly don't get this obsession with that forum and what they think or do. This isn't something exclusive to you as it goes both ways.
Anyway, Tenia managed to summarize quite nicely most of my thoughts on the matter of the whole debacle of the quality of the scan. Honestly, at this point the best thing we could do is just wait for more reviews and caps. Damning a release on the basis of one review seems presumptuous at best, especially considering it's based on one from Mondo Digital. Besides, at the very least there's still no doubt that it still is the most comprehensive package ever compiled for the film. In any case, it's definitely better than the crappy French blu.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#67 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:52 am

In all fairness, though I don't think it's particularly the case here, there are many members and mods at blu-ray.com that are giving many occasions to laugh at them, notably because they're extremely prone to superficial hyperboles (and massively biased moderation).
Even in the present case, there is one member there who, based on these screenshots of this one review, is saying that it's best to avoid the Indicator release in favor of a god-knows-how-old DVD release.

We certainly have our own share of heated discussions and pointless bickering, but I don't think it should prevent us to, how can say, laugh at the rivals on the other side of the road.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm

I mean, I didn't name the forum. I could be talking about the non-birding posts on the newly discovered MOC forum

kcota17

#69 Post by kcota17 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Is there a realistic chance right now that this or the Castle set arrives to US customers who ordered from their website in time for Halloween?

MichaelB

#70 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Shipping started today - how long do these packages usually take to reach the US?

Boosmahn

#71 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 pm

My Amazon UK package hasn't shipped yet. My previous orders with them took two-and-a-half weeks, usually.

MichaelB

#72 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm assuming Amazon won't start shipping until just before the official release date of the 22nd.

But if you ordered directly from Powerhouse, your package should be in transit right now.

HitchcockLang

#73 Post by HitchcockLang » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:19 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm
I'm assuming Amazon won't start shipping until just before the official release date of the 22nd.

But if you ordered directly from Powerhouse, your package should be in transit right now.
Aw, man. I'm discovering more and more what a great company y'all run. What if I cancelled my AmazonUK order and placed a Powerhouse order today? Or are all the discs already allocated?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#74 Post by tenia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am

The website still shows the purchase button for both this one and the Castle Vol. 1 set, so it doesn't seem to be sold out yet at Powerhouse and you should still be able to make an order.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#75 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Looks like those who ordered the Night of the Demon direct will receive a fun little bonus extra thrown in their package
SpoilerShow
a memorial card replica