Mother (Bong Joon-Ho, 2009)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
zedz

Re: Mother (Bong Joon-Ho, 2009)

#26 Post by zedz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:01 pm

zombeaner wrote:
fiddlesticks wrote:LEE Chung-ryoul's Old Partner (the top of my current must-see list, but the available DVD is unsubbed)
I caught this at a festival screening and it is not Oscar styled. It is a very dry documentary. An excellent film, but not the kind of thing the Academy honors.
Yes, seriously not. A rather basic DV doc. It's certainly moving, but given the subject matter how could it not be? As cinema, it's no Modern Life.

fiddlesticks

#27 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I'm hoping I will get a chance to see Mother some day.
brendanjc wrote:I hope Mother gets picked up for distribution here in the US, it's one of my most anticipated films releasing this year.
Granted. Magnolia Pictures has purchased the US distribution rights.

lady wakasa

#28 Post by lady wakasa » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 pm

It's also playing at this year's NY Film Festival (if you're in the neighborhood).

yuni_ny

A Conversation with Bong Joon-Ho and upcoming film, Mother

#29 Post by yuni_ny » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:43 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—February 17, 2010
Yuni Cho
(212) 759-7525, ext. 323
yuni.ny@koreasociety.org

Korean Film in Focus:
A Conversation with Director Bong Joon-Ho

Director Bong Joon-ho has rapidly become one of the most powerful creative and commercial forces in the Korean film industry. After releasing the critically acclaimed Barking Dogs Never Bite and Memories of Murder, Bong stepped into the international spotlight with his 2006 monster film, The Host. Throughout his films, Bong has forged an unmistakable style that fuses the inner realities of contemporary Korea—especially the shame, guilt, and trauma left over from the democratic movement of the 1980s—with all the power and fun of genre movies. His new film Mother, set for U.S. release in March, utilizes this powerful style in the service of a murder mystery.

Join us on Thursday, February 25, for a conversation with Bong Joon-ho about his filmmaking method and his career within the Korean film industry. The evening will include a special preview of clips from the upcoming Mother.

Discussion Moderated By

Michael Atkinson
Professor of Film
Long Island University

Thursday, February 25, 2010
6:00–6:30 PM * Registration and Reception
6:30–8:30 PM * Discussion and Q&A

The Korea Society
950 Third Avenue @ 57th Street, 8th Floor
(Building entrance on SW corner of Third Avenue and 57th Street)

Tickets are available for $10 (members) or $15 (non-members). For more information contact Yuni Cho at yuni.ny@koreasociety.org or 212-759-7525 ext. 323.

About the Moderator

Michael Atkinson is a writer, critic and professor of film at Long Island University. His writing on film and culture has appeared in The Village Voice, LA Weekly, The Guardian, Maxim, Film Comment, In These Times, and Moving Image Source. He is the recipient of a New York Foundation for the Arts fellowship and co-author/producer of Babylon Fields, a 20th Century Fox TV pilot.

This program is supported by Magnolia Pictures(http://www.magpictures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

knives

#30 Post by knives » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 am

I'm very happy that Bong has a sense of humour, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to finish this one. Even with the light moments there's something here in those last few moments that's struck a cord with me. Even a day after seeing it there's this lingering otherworldly feeling I have. Maybe I should wait until I see it again, but passed just on this reaction it's caused it may become My favorite of the three Bong's I've seen.
I can definitely see where you could find the ending as detracting or overstuffed Zedz, but I think even as is there is a subversiveness that leaves the film as completely unsettling and more complex than it would have been otherwise.
SpoilerShow
That point for me hits harder, in an appropriately ironic manner, because the Harry Brown trailer before this. That trailer, can't comment on the movie, goes in the complete other direction of Mother by playing the fascist vigilantism of its protagonist as heroic. Mother on the other does everything in its power, and I realize this is no revelation but it nevertheless hits me in the right socket, to show these 'good' actions of a caring mother as ultimately an act of pure selfishness that only does harm to those she thinks she's helping.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#31 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm

I got to re-watch this at Harvard Film Archive -- with Bong himself on hand to coment on the film. Bong came across as likeable and intelligent -- and made it clear that he did not consider his protagonist as any any sort of ideal mother. ;~}

dadaistnun

#32 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Book collecting on-set production photos being released next week.
Back in April, prior to the release of PARASITE, Bong Joon Ho contacted Plain Archive. He wanted to mark the 10th anniversary of his film MOTHER by holding a small screening where he hoped to hand out behind-the-scenes photobooks for the cast and crew. The initial set of photos Bong shared with us were striking and beautiful, which is why we wanted the photos to be seen by many others. We finished working on the book and it’s titled: Memories of MOTHER.

Bong was in the middle of post-production for PARASITE when he opened up an old external hard drive. Photos from the set of MOTHER were resting without anyone taking a look for a decade. The stills were taken by the cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo (SNOWPIERCER, PARASITE) himself. MOTHER was the first time Hong and Bong finally* collaborated. *They wanted to work together for a while.

The two renowned filmmakers were a decade younger when they made a truly unique film with star actors like Kim Hye-ja and Won Bin. MOTHER now occupies its own special territory within the Bong Joon Ho world/genre.Over 200 photos were carefully chosen by Bong himself. He tells Hong, “my belly isn’t there,” while Hong says, “Hey Joon Ho, we were so young.”You’ll find an interview with the DP Hong Kyung-pyo and essays by Seo Ji-hyung (Photographer), Baek Eun-ha and Tim Grierson.