The Best Books About Film

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
dda1996a

Re: The Best Books About Film

#1001 Post by dda1996a » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 pm

domino harvey wrote:Godard on Godard is essential, but if you haven't seen many of the often relatively obscure films he discusses, it may not be rewarding. I've found it fun to revisit the compilation the more and more I've seen, though-- it's kind of a living study in my own film viewing over the last dozen years since I first read it
Sadly I can't find an online list for the film's Godard mentions, but I can for the Truffaut. Domino I also recommend A True History of Cinema and Television, it's a great translations of his Canadian talks and precursors to Historie(s)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1002 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Yep, I've been meaning to pick it up. It's like $50 though, so one day!

You can access the index for Godard on Godard by visiting the Amazon listing on a non-mobile device and choosing Look Inside. It's the last index ("Index of Films"), so you have to scroll through some other indexes.

dda1996a

#1003 Post by dda1996a » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:08 pm

I know, I bit the bullet but it's very worth it. I don't know how it stands up to other Godard books, but this has completely transformed my opinion on Godard

dda1996a

#1004 Post by dda1996a » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Godot wrote:
dda1996a wrote:It's actually $300 new or $85 used now
Three sellers now have it listed for under $32 used in good condition. That's $0.60 per monograph. I highly recommend that for tenia and anyone else who wants to pick up a large number of these wonderful books at a low price.
Ordered one, and just had them cancel on me. Rest of the $30 are also gone. Seems weird and fishy

Drawingoflamporstick

#1005 Post by Drawingoflamporstick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:Yep, I've been meaning to pick it up. It's like $50 though, so one day!
Introduction to a True History of Cinema and Television is $25 plus shipping until April 11th. https://www.caboosebooks.net/true-history-of-the-cinema" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1006 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Whoa, nice! Thanks for the heads-up

ianthemovie

#1007 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 am

Godot wrote:There is a 2-volume hardcover collection of 50 monographs, arranged chronologically. It can be pricey, currently $90 on Amazon, but I bought it 18 months ago for $40, so keep your eyes open on your favorite internet used book seller. Also, I use CamelCamelCamel religiously to check whether current prices are out of norm, whether there are trends in used prices decreasing, etc. You can see my purchase back in 2016 at that $40 on the Camel page. Considering that it has 50 monographs, back when the series started and only covered classics, it's a wonderful deal, even at $90, if you don't already have any of them. When I bought it, I had about 35, but the remaining gaps were around $10 each, so I took the plunge. Plus, this allowed me some back-up relief if the individual volumes (which my oldest son takes with him nearly every day in car trips, etc., because of their small size and light weight) get damaged or lost. I love this series (and the BFI Modern Classics companion series that they released for a few years).
Funny, I prefer the individual volumes because they're so compact and portable, in addition to being handsomely designed. I've seen the hardcover anthologies at my university library and found them quite unappealing visually by comparison. None of the stills are in color and if I recall correctly some of the stills are even cut to conserve space.

Speaking of libraries, this might be a good option for perusing some titles before you commit to buying them. Any large university or city library should have a fair number of them on hand.

ianthemovie

#1008 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:27 am

Can anyone recommend any essays, book chapters, or strong analytical reviews of the early films of Tsai Ming-Liang, particularly The River and The Hole? I see from Amazon there are one or two books about Tsai out there, but it's difficult to preview them. I wondered if anyone knew of good pieces on these films that might be hiding in other collections.

dda1996a

#1009 Post by dda1996a » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am

I haven't read it, but Dis Voir has a book with an interview and two essays about Tsai
Link to Book Depository

dda1996a

#1010 Post by dda1996a » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:36 pm

His name pops up in a lot of writing about Godard and Varda, so how can I get an English friendly book about André Malraux? What is the abridged version of his Psychology of Art that is the only thing I can find?

accatone

#1011 Post by accatone » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am

Malraux is, to my understanding, more interesting as a political figure (Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication) in the De Gaulles years and as a novellist (La Condition humaine and L’Espoir for example). Based on the Le Musée imaginaire (in a broad sense) are a series of coffeetable publications about the history of art.

dda1996a

#1012 Post by dda1996a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Yet Godard raves about his "montage" book and how influential it was on him which is why I asked

accatone

#1013 Post by accatone » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 pm

I know the JLG literature (and films) quite well. May you advise a more concret quote about his „ravings“? What you say is very vague but i can only imagine him talking about the Musée Imaginaire. Its about juxtaposition of images in a broad sense*, not directly montage in cinematic ways.

*edit: actually not broad but about paintings.

dda1996a

#1014 Post by dda1996a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 pm

I meant montage in the sense of juxtaposing images. It might be that book then, mind talking more about it?
And I don't have my copy of A True History of Film and Television by Caboose with me atm to quote it verbatim.

CJG

#1015 Post by CJG » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:32 am

You're probably thinking of The Voices of Silence, which is a one-volume edition of The Psychology of Art. That's not about montage, though. It's art criticism. Is the passage you're referring to the one on page 137?

"You put two paintings, take a photograph, you put two paintings, three, four, a half, and make a connection and use the alphabet too if you like. This is what a few critics do. Not many: Élie Faure a little in France, and Malraux a little afterwards, I don't think there are any others. In fact the novelty of Malraux in art history - he was very successful - was simply that he put in a lot of photographs. You could at least see what he was talking about. With film [criticism], you can't see."

accatone

#1016 Post by accatone » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:41 am

dda1996a wrote:I meant montage in the sense of juxtaposing images. It might be that book then, mind talking more about it?
And I don't have my copy of A True History of Film and Television by Caboose with me atm to quote it verbatim.
If you have a clearer topic one might talk more about it. I do not have the time (and according to this, the engl. skills) to elaborate "into the blue" about a book i read many years ago. I can give you some hints, the rest you should check out yourself if interested.

But i did check the book in my libery last night and fun fact: the title/book cover shows a similar (same?) photograph of the da Vinci "Hands/pointing finger" (probably from "St. John the Baptiste") as shown in the press images for the upcoming Le livre d'image.
Uncool link to amazon for the book cover:
https://www.amazon.de/Psychologie-Kunst ... B002FTT6CW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Famous photographs of Malraux that Godard would "like" (i guess):
https://www.google.com/search?q=andre+m ... 0&bih=1078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emak-Bakia

#1018 Post by Emak-Bakia » Thu May 10, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks for the heads up! Will finally be picking up a copy of Shelley Stamp's Lois Weber in Early Hollywood. Trying to resist adding several others to my cart....

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#1019 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 am

Annoyingly, it won't let me choose a Canadian shipping location (or calculate shipping to Canada). It does let me enter a Canadian postal code for my billing address if I choose to make it different from the shipping address. Weird.