David Wain & Other Alums of The State

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
flyonthewall2983

David Wain & Other Alums of The State

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:33 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:40 pm

There is nothing "Meh" about that trailer. Looks amazing.

Hai2u

#3 Post by Hai2u » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:41 pm

looks stupid

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:There is nothing "Meh" about that trailer. Looks amazing.
I'll be the judge of that when I see it. I saw some individual scenes from the film on the Sundance Channel during their coverage of this year's Sundance that were funny. The trailer just didn't do it for me. The roll call of the film's stars at the end didn't help much either.

Antoine Doinel

#5 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:13 pm

I like the concept of the film, but from what I've seen from clips on the web (which were funny) and judging by the trailer (IMHO, not very funny), this may be a hit or miss affair.

But I'll give anything with Paul Rudd a fair shake.

justeleblanc

#6 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Dunno, the roll call was pretty funny.

Steven H

#7 Post by Steven H » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Wet Hot American Summer was hilarious, and I'm a huge fan of Stella, so this one is pretty high up there for me concerning expectations. I know a couple of people who saw it at Sundance, and they didn't care for it (however both hate Stella and have never given Wet Hot a chance.) Wain and co. have a very strange sense of humor.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:52 pm

I've found that the only people in this world worth dealing with are those that "get" the Stella humor. Not just their late TV show or comedy act, but Wet Hot American Summer and especially the Baxter as well. There is no other film I'm looking forward to more than the Ten and that trailer had constant laughs.

abuckley89

#9 Post by abuckley89 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:39 am

I wasn't too impressed but I laughed hysterically during the roll call.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#10 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:59 am

You know, I havne't seent he Baxter, I'll make a point to go rent it tomorrow, but Stella is without a doubt brilliant. People say you either get their humor or not. What's there to get? Great gags from the show include them in black face to cover up their bruised faces. What's not to get about that?

The trailer is a bit awful though, I'll still try to make a point to see this. Any release date yet?

miless

#11 Post by miless » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:40 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:You know, I havne't seent he Baxter, I'll make a point to go rent it tomorrow, but Stella is without a doubt brilliant. People say you either get their humor or not. What's there to get? Great gags from the show include them in black face to cover up their bruised faces. What's not to get about that?
most people just think its stupid... and either don't notice or don't care ( or think it's unintentional) that they have intentionally terrible continuity... my favorite moments are those most people would not notice (such as an instance in Wet Hot when David Hyde Pierce throws a rock and breaks a window, making the sound of a pane of glass shattering... less than 30 seconds later Paul Rudd is drinking a soda and he throws the bottle and it makes the EXACT same sound of a pane of glass shattering. Brilliant.
Or David Hyde Pierce just passing off his trophy (the nobel prize!) to some off screen person without even looking.

Steven H

#12 Post by Steven H » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 am

Stella is fantastic. The "Stella Shorts" DVD (with all the bits they filmed to show while they were doing their comedy act) is worth hunting down. It has commentary, which in a lot of cases is funnier than the video, and a lot of dildo action. In fact, I think there's a dildo in just about every short. Sam Rockwell shows up in one of them as a pizza delivery driver who forces the three into busking in a NY park with a guitar to pay for their food (just as funny as his turn on the show as Gary Meadows, the fake mustache dealer who doesn't "use his own stuff, man.")

Steven H

#13 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Well this was really funny, but the interconnecting bits with Paul Rudd are practically worthless, and distract from the film overall (I can't believe I'm giving Rudd a hard time, he was *hilarious* in Wet Hot...) There's just enough time in between the segments to lose a warmed up audience (try and pay them no mind.)

patrick

#14 Post by patrick » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Even as a big State/Stella/Wet Hot American Summer fan, I thought this was abysmal; the jokes constantly fell flat and the sketches feel like Saturday Night Live outtakes trying too hard to be raunchy. I feel like the whole film is weighed down by its central conceit, and I'm really disappointed if the closing song (that suggests "it's all about love") is meant to be taken seriously.

In other State-related news, Michael Ian Black's directorial debut Wedding Daze is also getting dumped on DVD today alongside The Ten. Evidently it was basically taken from him by the studio and recut/denied a theatrical release, but any way you slice it it's a romantic comedy starring Jason Biggs and Isla Fisher.

davebert

#15 Post by davebert » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I thought the movie was definitely a hit-or-miss affair but I enjoy enough of these actors where just seeing them riff is fun. I'd say about five of the ten sketches fell flat or were merely average, but the others were really good (and the first one with Adam Brody stuck in the ground was a hilarious way to kick things off). I agree that the Rudd intermissions couldn't sustain themselves, but the way the movie tried to transition from the highlighted word in the chosen commandment to the next sketch's opening visual gag was often inspired.

GoldenPilgrim

#16 Post by GoldenPilgrim » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Has anyone else been watching Wainy Days?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:16 am

What a colossal disappointment this was. The only segment that actually worked was the ventriloquist one, and the CATscan and Arnold ones came close, but the rest fell flat. A couple good lines here and there in addition to that but really, with this cast and creative team, what happened here?

I've got Wedding Daze here now but I'm dreading popping it in after this.

GoldenPilgrim

#18 Post by GoldenPilgrim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:01 am

I'm disappointed that the reviews on the board haven't been the greatest for The Ten. For me, the only sketch that, "fell flat," (as is seems to be buzzword/short cut around here) was the first one, otherwise I really loved it. Too bad there wasn't more Michael Showalter, but Ken Marino really got to shine in this one. I would say that most of you guys don't like it because you probably don't get their humor, but even the Stella fans are disappointed by The Ten. It's not flawless or laugh out loud funny the whole way through, but still great.

I loved the end of the sketch with Kerri Kenney and her twin sons, when it suddenly turns into some feel good 90's Sunny D commercial. So David Wain.

Oh well, I will just crawl into my own corner and enjoy it by my lonesome.

miless

#19 Post by miless » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 am

GoldenPilgrim wrote:Has anyone else been watching Wainy Days?
YES! It's so good

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:27 am

Wow so Wedding Daze was actually really really laugh-out loud funny, who would have figured between these two it would handily win?

davebert

#21 Post by davebert » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Reeeaaaally? I've seen it trailered across multiple DVDs and on TV, but didn't give a shit until I learned Michael Ian Black had directed. Now I think I'll track down a rental.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:24 pm

davebert wrote:Reeeaaaally? I've seen it trailered across multiple DVDs and on TV, but didn't give a shit until I learned Michael Ian Black had directed. Now I think I'll track down a rental.
It has some obvious flaws and there are a few elements that seem to have been included as a concession to the producers, but overall it is overwhelmingly funny-- I don't remember the last time I laughed as much as I did in this movie.

davebert

#23 Post by davebert » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 pm

That's a surprise, since everything from the ads to the DVD cover to the lineage (from the people who brought you the made-for-DVD American Pie movies?!) screamed total generic throwaway.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Well the thing to consider is that most importantly, Black wrote and directed the film. Maybe it played so much better for me because I went in expecting nothing, but it certainly deserves a viewing from anyone already predisposed to Stella projects-- and this is the first thing one of them has done that doesn't feature parts for all three guys (though you do get Black voicing a mythical creature that I won't spoil). Fisher and Biggs understand how to play the script's tone, to their credit. The biggest problem is the casting of all the friends. I kept thinking of how Black surely wrote those parts for some of the actors in the Stella-periphery (a few of which do pop up) and then like in the TV Set, the producers forced him to cast obnoxious unknowns instead.

GoldenPilgrim

#25 Post by GoldenPilgrim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:The biggest problem is the casting of all the friends. I kept thinking of how Black surely wrote those parts for some of the actors in the Stella-periphery (a few of which do pop up) and then like in the TV Set, the producers forced him to cast obnoxious unknowns instead.
That is exactly what I was afraid of, but, of course, I am still going to check this out.