It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next
 Post subject: Re: Passages
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:03 am 

He's well earned his tough guy reputation, but I have to admit I absolutely loved him playing more dandyish characters like in Dead Wood. He was also an amazing Gorilla Grodd.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 am 

I'm more familiar with Booth's work, but I feel like him and Parks were probably up for the same roles a lot. Very strong similarities between the two, in at least what I've seen of Parks' work.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 am 

I was just talking about him with someone yesterday (in the context of what a fabulous cast Tombstone had.)

Terrific foil for McShane on Deadwood, among many, many other good performances, dating back to his chilling portrayal of Jim Jones.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 am 
Carthago delenda est

Really sad, especially with the script for the Deadwood movie having been completed, it would've been great to see him in the finale.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:55 am 

Brad Grey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:15 pm 

For me the ultimate Powers Booth role was the starring one as the hydroelectric dam engineer who has his young son kidnapped by a tribe in a rain forest and then eventually finds him all grown up years later to have an awkward reconciliation (and to feel guilty about the environmental and cultural destruction wreaked on the indigenous tribespeople by the logging and the dam) in John Boorman's film The Emerald Forest. Its a film that sort of occupies the middle ground, splitting the difference between the more exploitative Italian cannibal films on one side and the eco-friendly, culturally sensitive Embrace of the Serpent on the other.

Oh and lowering the tone a little he also made for a deliciously over the top baddie threatening an ice hockey stadium final (?!?!) in Sudden Death with Jean Claude Van Damme! Its like White House Down but far better in that it knows how dumb and ridiculous its plot is, as well as how low key all the stakes are, and glories in going as far over the top with as little patriotic preachiness as possible, at least after the national anthem stuff to kick off the match! No film can include this fight scene and not be aware of how gloriously silly it is being, and yet still make the scene work in action terms too! (Still for my money Van Damme's best film!)

I've not had the chance to see Guyana Tragedy as yet, but it looks interesting. At the very least its got an amazing cast! (including Meg Foster five years before she teamed up with Powers Booth again, playing his wife in The Emerald Forest!)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:13 pm 

Keith Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:15 pm 

Caligula wrote:
Really sad, especially with the script for the Deadwood movie having been completed, it would've been great to see him in the finale.

Sad to hear about Powers Boothe--I like Deadwood and the other parts mentioned, but have to put a word in for his role in the heavily maligned but blissfully dumb (and personally loved) Macgruber.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm 

Damn, Brad Grey...having done a very small job on a promotional shoot for The Sopranos, and what I know from other sources, I know he had a big role in the look and development of that show.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:33 pm 

"Oh Manchester, so much to answer for."

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 am 

And of course Ian Brady was briefly played by Andy Serkis in the 2006 film Longford (the emphasis being much more on Myra Hindley, played by Samantha Morton), which I still think is Tom Hooper's best film.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 am 

Roger Ailes

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Chris Cornell discussion moved here

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm 

Anne K. Dick, wife of Philip K. Dick

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:23 am 
Dot Com Dom

Dina Merrill

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 am 

Sir Roger Moore

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 am 

I was watching Live and Let Die just the other weekend. Still one of my favourite Bond films.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 am 

Always and forever the best James Bond. Totally heartbroken.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 am 

I'm not much of a Bond fan any more - I even have a hard time enjoying my "favorite" Bond films in their entirety - but Moore was a wonderful human being for the way he devoted his post-Bond life to UNICEF, very much a class act.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:32 pm 

The NYTimes obit for Dina Merrill mentions that her family owned Mar-a-Lago and the estate was sold to the Trumps in 1985. (Ivanka apparently uses the same bedroom as Ms Merrill used as a child.) It is frustrating that the Times would begin their obit for Ms Merrill with this as the lead, the very first sentence no less. No doubt they are trying to get this trending as much as possible from any tie-in, no matter how tenuous, with President Trump but still, it hardly merits being the very first thing a person should read into her life if this was the first introduction a person had to her life and legacy.

Post subject: Passages
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:35 pm 

Lisa Spoonauer, who played Caitlin Bree in Clerks.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:05 pm 

Moore was my favorite Bond. He was an all-around classy guy. His coffee table book Bond on Bond is also a fun read.

RIP, 007.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:54 am 

Jazz drummer Mickey Roker

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 pm 

My favorite guilty Roger Moore pleasure is.....The Persuaders. Adventurous, open and willing viewers should muster the courage to make it through this whole series if they enjoy some deep Roger Moore seventies kitsch. And John Barry's theme quite grows on you like an unwelcome rash.

The key is to pretend Tony Curtis is not actually on screen - Roger is the star here, really putting his full focus on the outfits.

And if you can ignore the directing, the plots, the writing, and the acting, its excellent.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 pm 

The most interesting thing about the Persuaders to me is that it does have some, in the scheme of things, high-profile directors for being a TV production. CC entrants Roy Ward Baker and Basil Dearden, for two. It's a total blast, and I cherish Network's BD of it (and look forward to the inevitability of a Saint collection on BD sometime in the near future).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next