Seeds of Sin (Andy Milligan, 1968)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
colinr0380

Re: Seeds of Sin (Andy Milligan, 1968)

#26 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:Vinegar Syndrome's new Blu-ray/DVD combo of the 4K resto of Seeds is now in stock and shipping (though their site is down for maintenance at the moment). I ordered mine from DiabolikDVD and just got my shipping notice.
In VAPORS (1965), Milligan’s debut film, a lonely young man named Thomas visits a public steam bath where he meets an enigmatic stranger named Mr. Jaffee. As the night unfolds, Thomas finds himself in a hellish and perverse world of sexual misery.

Vinegar Syndrome and Distribpix present SEEDS & VAPORS, newly restored in 4k from their negative elements, with SEEDS available in its original and director’s cut for the first time in nearly 50 years!

Directed by: Andy Milligan
1965-68 / 113 minutes / B&W / 1.33:1 OAR
Starring: Maggie Rogers, Gerald Jacuzzo, Candy Hammond

Features Include:
• Region free Blu-ray/DVD combo pack
• Newly scanned and restored in 4k from a mixture of 35mm & 16mm vault elements
• “SEEDS OF SIN” – alternate feature length sexploitation version
• “VAPORS” – short film directed by Andy Milligan
• Interview with John Borske (writer / SEEDS)
• Interview with Gerald Jacuzzo (lead actor / VAPORS)
• Q&A from the Quad Cinema NYC screening in 2017 with John Borske, Gerald Jacuzzo and Patricia Dillon (actress / SEEDS)
• Original theatrical trailer
• Still gallery
• English SDH Subtitles
Vapors is really interesting - I did a quick write up of it when the BFI released it in their Encounters DVD of short films.

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Boy, did I get old. I watched the Vinegar Syndrome blu of Seeds last night and couldn't remember if I had seen the film before. Not only had I, but looking for a thread for this release I see I went on and on about it almost exactly twelve years ago.

Anyway, I will once again endorse the film and this release in particular. Seeds, in its original form, is HIGHLY entertaining, even more so if you have the HOH subtitles on (which you might actually need due to Milligan's ambivalent approach to recording audible dialogue). It's all "(groaning)...(tense music)...(shrieking)...(dramatic music)...(suspenseful music)...(sobbing)." I honestly can't see how someone who likes films like Multiple Maniacs, Female Trouble, Thundercrack, or any Kuchar film can fail to enjoy Seeds. It is right in line with that whole scene and aesthetic. And while I do like exploitation films and have a high tolerance for most of the genre's many shortcomings, a boring film is a boring film. Seeds has its share of flaws, but it is most definitely NOT boring. Thundercrack, on the other hand...

What A Disgrace

#28 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:55 am

I didn't know this disc existed, and now I've ordered it.

Orlac

#29 Post by Orlac » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm a fan of SEEDS and also Milligan's THE GHASTLY ONES (which was a UK video nasty at one point and has not had a certificated video release yet) - they are truly demented combinations of Tennessee Williams-histrionics with a snuff film. THE BODY BENEATH, a bizzare Dracula inspired comedy, on the other hand...yeesh!

I just finished reading the hardback Nicholas Refn "presented" edition of the biography THE GHASTLY ONE, which is a fascinated and moving read. And then it broke my bookshelf!