How to Pronounce Your Favorite Director's Name

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: How to pronounce your favorite director's name

#451 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Trees wrote:
swo17 wrote:Boon-ywell
All these damn perfectionists around here. :D
I think you are looking for the "Close Approximations of Your Favorite Director's Name" thread.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#452 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:54 pm

"I was saying Boon-well"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#453 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 am

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#454 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 am

colinr0380

#455 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 pm

At least they got Kim Ki-duk right! I suppose that one is spelt the way it sounds!

FakeBonanza

#456 Post by FakeBonanza » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 pm

I saw that on Twitter a couple of years ago and haven't stopped thinking about Quantum Tarantino since.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#457 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 pm

FakeBonanza wrote:I saw that on Twitter a couple of years ago and haven't stopped thinking about Quantum Tarantino since.
Yeah, that one is going to stay with me too.

And who or what is Luis Wels?

andyli

#458 Post by andyli » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:51 am

And from what region is the picture taken? My guess is Eastern Europe (like Serbia), based on Devid Linc.

MichaelB

#459 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:09 am

It certainly has a transliterated-from-Cyrillic feel to it - "Antoniyoni".

Tommaso

#460 Post by Tommaso » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:32 am

Looking at the posters/covers, I'd guess Turkey.

cpetrizzi

#461 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:11 pm

colinr0380 wrote:At least they got Kim Ki-duk right! I suppose that one is spelt the way it sounds!
But they forgot the hyphen! Improper spelling is the first step in the downfall of a people.

Florinaldo

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#462 Post by Florinaldo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am

When I started listening to the Nick Pinkerton commentary for the Kino Lorber edition of Buñuel's The Milky Way, I was expecting the frequent mispronunciations of French words, titles and names; it seems par for the course with many US-based scholars and critics. NP distinguishes himself however by finding a new incorrect pronunciation just about every instance he has to mention the same word once again; you could make a good drinking game based on each time he flubs the same word in a different way. Which leads me to wonder how many times i cannot detect similar goofs in commentaries over films in languages I do not speak and where I have to fully trust the commentator to get the pronunciation right.
Last edited by Florinaldo on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MichaelB

#463 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:37 am

Florinaldo wrote:One recent case in point for me was the disappointing Nick Pinkerton commentary for the Kino Lorber edition of Buñuel's The Milky Way. I was expecting the frequent mispronunciations of French words, titles and names; it seems par for the course with many US-based scholars and critics. NP distinguishes himself however by finding a new incorrect pronunciation just about every instance he has to mention the same word once again; you could make a good drinking game based on each time he flubs the same word in a different way. Which leads me to wonder how many times i cannot detect similar goofs in commentaries over films in languages I do not speak and where I have to fully trust the commentator to get the pronunciation right.
I hope my pronunciation of Czech words, names and titles in my various Czech-film commentaries is accurate - I’m certainly familiar with pronunciation rules (which are very consistent and pretty straightforward), so I always know in my head how the word/name/title should be pronounced, although actually getting my tongue around it is another challenge altogether!

I know I flubbed an obscure title at least once (Na laně, which I pronounced as Na lane after carelessly omitting the diacritic from my notes), but hopefully that’s a one-off, or close.

But I do make a point of identifying likely problem areas before the actual recording and rehearsing anything that’s likely to prove tricky.

Talking of pronunciation, one of my bigger challenges is Bernard Herrmann - I know exactly how he pronounced his name, of course, but Bernard is “BERnard” in British English, and so “BerNARD” just sounds weird coming from me. But I think I did ultimately go for the correct version, although I can’t remember.

Florinaldo

#464 Post by Florinaldo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:37 am
But I do make a point of identifying likely problem areas before the actual recording and rehearsing anything that’s likely to prove tricky.
Yes a little phonetic research and rehearsing before having to make a speech (or recording a commentary in this case) is the least a conscientious speaker should do. Of course, in some instances it may be difficult to locate a reliable source or coach for the rarer languages.

The correct positioning of stresses is indeed a frequent difficulty. It is often possible to spot someone speaking in a language not native to them just by the misplaced stresses, even though they might not display the smallest whiff of an accent. Or in the same language, identifying the region or country different speakers come from even though they ostensibly have the same mother tongue.

MichaelB

#465 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:10 am

I'm pretty safe with regard to French, Italian, Polish and Czech as I'm familiar enough with all four languages in their spoken as well as written form. French is actually the toughest to get reliably right (and I suspect tougher for Americans, who are much less likely to have had years of compulsory French lessons at school) - the other three have much more consistent phonetic spelling rules.

But while I'm just as familiar with Hungarian cinema as I am with the Polish and Czech equivalent, I don't know the language at all - and just to be even more confusing, their pronunciation rules are occasionally the exact opposite of those for, say, Polish. For instance "s" is "s" in Polish but "sh" in Hungarian, while "sz" is the other way around - meaning, amongst other things, that the correct pronunciation of István Szabó is closer to "Ishtvaan Saboo" than what I suspect most people would instinctively assume. I haven't recorded a Hungarian-film commentary yet, but if I ever do (and the possibility is far from remote), I might have to do things like writing names out phonetically and having them in front of me, as I can easily see myself mispronouncing them if I just left them in their common spelling.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#466 Post by swo17 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 am

Hungarian is supposed to have more in common with Finnish than anything else

MichaelB

#467 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:31 am

swo17 wrote:Hungarian is supposed to have more in common with Finnish than anything else
Only in terms of their historical roots and the basic grammatical structure - they’re otherwise mutually unintelligible.

In the mid-90s I went to a talk by the composer György Ligeti who told a story about a woman who said “I imagine you find it very easy to talk to Esa-Pekka Salonen, what with you being Hungarian and him Finnish?”, to which Ligeti replied “Yes, because we both speak English and some Swedish” - before going on to explain that Hungarian and Finnish now have about as much in common as English and Ancient Greek.

Mr Sausage

#468 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:31 am

swo17 wrote:Hungarian is supposed to have more in common with Finnish than anything else
Yah, Finnish, Estonian, and Hungarian all share a language group, tho’ I think the first two are more closely related than either are with Hungarian. They’re the only languages in Europe not from the Indo-European language group, which means for instance English shares more with Hindi and Urdu than it does with any of the three above.

Florinaldo

#469 Post by Florinaldo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:31 am

Yah, Finnish, Estonian, and Hungarian all share a language group, tho’ I think the first two are more closely related than either are with Hungarian.
Groupings of languages can sometimes be surprising. I remember when the now defunct international organisation called the Latin Union was still around some people were surprised to see Romania as a member, but it turns out that Romanian is indeed part of the family of Latin languages, now more commonly called Romance languages. When you listen to it being spoken, you can hear similiarities with Italian, French and others. Also, nearly all the Romanians I have know displayed a fiery character true to their sang latin (or latin blood). :wink:
MichaelB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:02 pm
Indicator releases four or five titles a month, and that's honestly the team's realistic limit without corners having to be cut - it averages out at about one per week, which sounds about right in terms of what's needed. Although of course the size of the team is a key factor here.
And despite the limited staff, they still manage to put out more interesting releases and satisfyingly loaded with extras than many bigger or more prolific labels do. Dedication is a factor I would suppose.

MichaelB

#470 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Florinaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:05 pm
Groupings of languages can sometimes be surprising. I remember when the now defunct international organisation called the Latin Union was still around some people were surprised to see Romania as a member, but it turns out that Romanian is indeed part of the family of Latin languages, now more commonly called Romance languages. When you listen to it being spoken, you can hear similiarities with Italian, French and others. Also, nearly all the Romanians I have know displayed a fiery character true to their sang latin (or latin blood). :wink:
Romanian is apparently closer to Latin than any other living language. And yes, it's surprisingly easy to make out the gist of written Romanian if you already know at least one of the Romance languages, especially if you swot up on a few local grammatical quirks (such as the definite article being expressed by the suffix "-ul", which is sometimes then followed by another suffix - for instance in the original title of The Child's Pose, which is Poziția copilului).

Kauno

#471 Post by Kauno » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 pm

An elderly friend of mine just visited in Romania. He says he was understood when he spoke Latin.

And yes, Finnish and Estonian are very very close. Hungarian is a language which is considered to have no close linguistic relatives.

MichaelB

#472 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:23 pm

I remember on my first trip to Budapest the guidebook helpfully said "Don't worry about the language - everyone will assume you don't speak a word of it".

Mr Sausage

#473 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Florinaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:05 pm
Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:31 am

Yah, Finnish, Estonian, and Hungarian all share a language group, tho’ I think the first two are more closely related than either are with Hungarian.
Speaking of unexpected groupings, there's a controversial theory in linguistics that posits that Finnish, Estonian, etc., share a language family with Korean, based on the fact that apparently there's some similarities in vocab and grammar. Apparently Korean speakers find Finnish more intuitive to learn than other Western languages.

Kauno

#474 Post by Kauno » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:30 pm
Speaking of unexpected groupings, there's a controversial theory in linguistics that posits that Finnish, Estonian, etc., share a language family with Korean, based on the fact that apparently there's some similarities in vocab and grammar. Apparently Korean speakers find Finnish more intuitive to learn than other Western languages.
I have heard that Japanese find Finnish interesting because Finnish and Japanese are the two languages that are hardest to learn. Your Korean connection is new to me. Man, this is deep off topic.

MichaelB

#475 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Florinaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 am
The correct positioning of stresses is indeed a frequent difficulty. It is often possible to spot someone speaking in a language not native to them just by the misplaced stresses, even though they might not display the smallest whiff of an accent. Or in the same language, identifying the region or country different speakers come from even though they ostensibly have the same mother tongue.
A good example being with female Czech surnames, which invariably end in -ová - and the diacritic on the A matters*, as it lengthens the vowel more than you might instinctively expect from a native English-speaking perspective. To my shame (since I did know the pronunciation rules, and long before I saw it for the first time), I mispronounced Marketa Lazarová for years before I heard a Czech person do it - and after I'd got over my surprise at how different it sounded, it was a proper head-slapping moment for me, because there's no reason why I should have got it wrong before if I'd followed the rules. It's something like "MarKETa LazARovAA", whereas I instinctively - and incorrectly - thought that the surname was "LazarOHva", ending in a short "a".

(*This is why I'm an absolute stickler for including diacritics in my own writing on central/eastern European cinema, and if they're omitted in the final published version, it will be because the publication simply can't handle them - as is sadly quite common.)