Movie Theater Experiences

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Movie Theater Experiences

#826 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:42 am

I had a similar experience (though nonverbal) during that scene and I am still totally puzzled by how such a banal, dull love scene has managed to result in multiple outbursts

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#827 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 am

I'm always wondering what these people are trying to achieve by this. Do they have somebody in the audience they know and want to impress by being loud, stupid and obnoxious ?

I often saw this kind of behaviour from guys being part of a group, but almost never from somebody alone.

djproject

#828 Post by djproject » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 am

Big Ben wrote:...in the dump known as AMC Theaters in Great Falls Montana...
I wonder if that was once where my parents saw This Is Spinal Tap way back in the day. If so, they were the ones laughing at the theatre (particularly at the line: "The Boston gig has been cancelled. But I wouldn't worry about it though. Not a big college town.")

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#829 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:32 am

Finding Charlize Theron attractive is one of those default states I assume everyone shares, it truly does not need to be said unless one believes differently

colinr0380

#830 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm

I just think Big Ben is being rather generous in describing the chap as a "gentleman". A gentleman never reveals that he left home without his lube!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#831 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 pm

My girlfriend was the only one to audibly go bonkers over Theron in the screening I saw today, though one person out of a total of four isn't a bad ratio.

jorencain

#832 Post by jorencain » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:49 pm

I was at the theater, seeing the horrible "The Nut Job 2" with my 4 year old. In the lobby, an older couple was asking for a refund for their tickets to "The Dark Tower." They left after 25 minutes because it is "too dark. And satanic." They didn't get their money back, but they compromised and watched "The Nut Job" instead. I'm just curious what makes a movie satanic.

matrixschmatrix

#833 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm

I think McConaughey's character is a pretty straight forward stand in for Satan, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable a concern.

jorencain

#834 Post by jorencain » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Ok, I suppose that makes sense. I just wonder what they thought they were going into.

Big Ben

#835 Post by Big Ben » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:53 pm

McConaughey is playing a character who, in my mind is evil because of what was done to him I don't consider them to be related at all. As stupid as it sounds The Man in Black reminds me more of Chrisopher Nolan's version of The Joker. He does what he does because he can.

Oh and King himself says he's not representative of Satan. So there's that. There's more to The Man in Black than meets the eye though. More going on. But no spoilers!

Ribs

#836 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:57 pm

And Akiva Goldsman's last passion project casually featured a cameo from Will Smith playing Lucifer. So he might have mined on that reading for this film too.

flyonthewall2983

#837 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Story from a very early screening of Monster Trucks

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#839 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Those symbols of innocence sitting next to me ruined my enjoyment of the filthy movie.

flyonthewall2983

#840 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Charging full or double price for kids seems at best risky. They start screaming or causing trouble, their idiot parents who paid that much can claim a good defense out of that.

Ribs

#841 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I had a new one last week: guy in front of me just took off his shirt for the duration of the movie at the first previews.

Big Ben

#842 Post by Big Ben » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm

When I saw It two weeks ago a woman behind me screamed through the whole film stating "I hate this movie! I hate this movie!" And then when it was revealed there would be a second chapter she expressed a loud groan and proclaimed "This is bullshit! I have to come back for another one?!?"

And on the topic of children in R rated films sitting several rows below me where two parents and four or five children who could not have been older than ten. They were better behaved than the woman behind me.

The film however aside from the woman was very well received by the audience. Probably one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with one. Everyone was really into it.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#843 Post by cdnchris » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Big Ben wrote: And on the topic of children in R rated films sitting several rows below me where two parents and four or five children who could not have been older than ten. They were better behaved than the woman behind me.
I was rather horrified to see a 5-year old in our screening. I'm judging and I shouldn't as I've let my kids watch plenty of shit they shouldn't but there's no way I'd let them watch It now, despite my daughter begging us to take her. At one point the child and her mother left and I figured the kid got scared and wanted to leave. But nope, apparently it was just a bathroom break because they came back shortly thereafter and the kid was running back to her seat, looking pretty excited.

The kid was quiet too.

Morbii

#845 Post by Morbii » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:05 am

cdnchris wrote: I was rather horrified to see a 5-year old in our screening.
Years ago, I saw 8mm in the theater. There was a mother with her kid that couldn’t have been more than 5 there. I never forgot that.

flyonthewall2983

#846 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 am

I heard one story about a guy who played it on a Greyhound bus, which had parents and their kids on it. When one of the parents began to object, the driver was rude to them in response.

Lost Highway

#847 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:14 am

domino harvey wrote:Finding Charlize Theron attractive is one of those default states I assume everyone shares, it truly does not need to be said unless one believes differently
No I feel under pressure to loudly announce that I‘m not attracted to her, the next time I watch a film starring Theron.

med

#848 Post by med » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Don't know when they started doing this, but AMC Theatres no longer masks their projections

Ribs

#849 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 pm

That's not really what those tweets say - new screens aren't being built to support masking, because there'd be absolutely no reason for AMC to suddenly stop supporting it on screens that are already doing it right. It's not great but ultimately I think there are bigger fish to fry in the scheme of these sorts of things.

med

#850 Post by med » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:38 pm

They're still not masking their projection. There's an example of what it looks like in that link; it's like watching a movie on your television, only larger. Do you expect to see unused screen space when you go to the movies?

Also, what "bigger fish to fry" are you referring to?