Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
rohmerin

Re: Identify This Movie

#1126 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 am

I think it's not Street of Chance because I've not seen it... and I remember James Cagney or a WB / Fox actor that it's not William Powell.

rohmerin

#1127 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:42 am

Could it be Me and My Gal ? Fox, Spencer Tracy, Raoul Walsh ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1128 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:28 am

This is not quite in the spirit of this thread but I don't know where else to ask: I'm looking for copies of these four short films released in 1948 (some may be credited as 1949):

Cinderella Horse (Warner Brothers)
Heart to Heart (MGM)
Samba-Mania (Paramount)
Snow Capers (Universal)

Does anyone know if any of these have appeared on DVDs as bonus features or are available anywhere to view?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1129 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:53 am

Filmaf.com is usually pretty good for finding films hidden away as extras, but it doesn't turn up any of these.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1130 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:21 am

Thanks! It looks like Heart to Heart at least aired on TCM before as filler, so perhaps there's a copy floating around somewhere (or it's hidden away on an old WB DVD-- there's a great untold wealth of material just thrown onto so many of their releases that makes me second-guess all the titles I sold without considering the extras)

nefilim

#1131 Post by nefilim » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

I had this movie on VHS and loved it. Would like to see it again.

Western. But not typical. The whole movie is about white man following indian warrior thru desert. Color film. Not much happens but still feels very intense. I'm 47 now, so this was made before or in the -90's.

rohmerin

#1132 Post by rohmerin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Read the from a novel, and I have watch this anecdote somewhere: a man always ask two expressos everywhere, not a double one expresso. He loves to shock waiters.

dfzp

#1133 Post by dfzp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

^ Jarmusch's The Limits of Control?

rohmerin

#1134 Post by rohmerin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Probably. I was thinking in Harvey Keitel on Smoke.
But the novel is Spanish (Barcelona) and Limits of Control is set in Madrid.

jacobslide

#1135 Post by jacobslide » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm

OK, this is a vague one... Hope someone can help as my friend and I saw this movie years ago, and cannot remember the name of it at all...

Spanish language film.
Unsure of country, but believe it to be Argentina - which could be wrong, but somehow that rings a bell.

It's a sort of coming of age story about a group of kids through a summer. They find an abandoned house and hang out there and there's a pool.

Seem to be richer kids, wear school uniforms...

Saw the movie about 12-15 years ago...

That's about all I can remember... I know, not much.

Any ideas?

IsanRido

#1136 Post by IsanRido » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Good evening y'all, and merry christmass. Are there any Toei experts (or really big fans) out there? The subjet itself requieres not identifying a film rather the music from a film. Do any one you guys know of Toei live action movies from 1972 or before, preferably in the exploitation spectrum? I am looking for the stock score to the Thai horror/monster film Crocodile (Chorake). The reason I’m betting it’s from a Toei film of that period, is because this cue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... lzYnbikCsQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

…can also be heard in the trailer to Toei’s Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfitSps ... u.be&t=35s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this tune ring any bells? It definitively sounds like a Japanese composition from those movies.

This cue appears to be from a similar (if not the same) source:

https://youtu.be/nlzYnbikCsQ?t=5m50s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

owlwink

#1137 Post by owlwink » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 am

Hi all,

I am currently writing up a PhD and I refer to an image from a film that I am struggling to source. If any of you knew either the film or could help identify the actor that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rev.Powell

#1138 Post by Rev.Powell » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:15 pm

owlwink wrote:Hi all,

I am currently writing up a PhD and I refer to an image from a film that I am struggling to source. If any of you knew either the film or could help identify the actor that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Think that's Laraine Day in The Locket.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1139 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

It is, and the screencap comes from DVDBeaver's review

Binky

#1140 Post by Binky » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am

There is a movie I saw only a small part of when I was very young. It was probably French, but I might be wrong. It seems to me now from its manner that it was likely made in the late 60s or early 70s.

What I seem to remember is this: a night in a big country house with a group of people. Very calm. Loafing about. Conversations. Then it is morning, and these people head off into the woods and hunt each other down! The hunt ends as the last of them die. And then the film ends with everyone alive again riding together on a carousel!

I would be very grateful if someone could solve this little mystery for me!

Dr Amicus

#1141 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 am

Binky wrote:There is a movie I saw only a small part of when I was very young. It was probably French, but I might be wrong. It seems to me now from its manner that it was likely made in the late 60s or early 70s.

What I seem to remember is this: a night in a big country house with a group of people. Very calm. Loafing about. Conversations. Then it is morning, and these people head off into the woods and hunt each other down! The hunt ends as the last of them die. And then the film ends with everyone alive again riding together on a carousel!

It's Czech, not French, but does sound like A Report on the Party and the Guests, as issued by Second Run.

MichaelB

#1142 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 am

Significant parts of that description don’t fit - there’s no country house, carousel or mysterious resurrection.

Binky

#1143 Post by Binky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 am

Dr. Amicus, you had me very excited for a moment! But I don't think that's it, the ending does not seem right.

The part of the movie prior to the hunt I remember only vaguely because I don't imagine I was at that point watching closely. So my memories there are not to be trusted.

However, I am certain about the hunt! The cast of the movie hunt each other down until the last two die. And I am also certain of the very short coda with everyone alive again on a carousel. I've always assumed it was an artistic flourish, but now that I think of it, I suppose it is possible that it was a flashback to an earlier scene.

Reifferschizzle

#1144 Post by Reifferschizzle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am

Hello, all. Been lurking for a few days and think that if anyone can help me with this you guys can:

A few years ago I saw a Korean movie at a festival. It's a drama about two middle aged guys meeting up after a long time, getting drunk, reminiscing (mostly about love).

The scene I remember most vividly is one of them being at a dinner with older people, who are complaining about how his generation only protested. He replies that as a youth he went on a lot of protests, and that this was good because it kept him away from "bad influences" and drugs.

Any ideas?

zedz

#1145 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Reifferschizzle wrote:Hello, all. Been lurking for a few days and think that if anyone can help me with this you guys can:

A few years ago I saw a Korean movie at a festival. It's a drama about two middle aged guys meeting up after a long time, getting drunk, reminiscing (mostly about love).

The scene I remember most vividly is one of them being at a dinner with older people, who are complaining about how his generation only protested. He replies that as a youth he went on a lot of protests, and that this was good because it kept him away from "bad influences" and drugs.

Any ideas?
It sounds like Hong Sang-Soo, and there are a bunch of his films that more or less feature "two middle aged guys meeting up after a long time, getting drunk, reminiscing (mostly about love)", but I'm not sure which one this might be! HaHaHa maybe?

knives

#1146 Post by knives » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:Significant parts of that description don’t fit - there’s no country house, carousel or mysterious resurrection.
This is why I didn't mention my gut response of Bava's Bay of Blood.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1147 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Binky wrote:There is a movie I saw only a small part of when I was very young. It was probably French, but I might be wrong. It seems to me now from its manner that it was likely made in the late 60s or early 70s.

Maybe go through this list to see if any of these could be it.

Logan's Run has "Carrousel", but not a carrousel!

Binky

#1148 Post by Binky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Nothing on that list seems to be right, I'm afraid! And its definitely not Bay of Blood, yikes! But thank you!

What I remember of the movie prior to the hunt is not at all violent. The hunt seemed to be a deliberate contrast to what had come before. I do remember being surprised when they started shooting each other! My feeling until then I think was that they were all just going out maybe to shoot pheasant.

This silly movie is one of my last childhood mysteries. I don't want to solve ALL of them, but this one has been gnawing at me since seeing Inland Empire! The song and dance thing at the end of Inland Empire immediately reminded me of the carousel coda.

Swift

#1149 Post by Swift » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 pm

I randomly watched the 80s teen sex comedy Private School on Netflix recently. What an artifact that is in the current climate. The plot of the movie is essentially the boys trying various ways to see naked girls, including on one occasion just literally tearing away a girl's towel after she comes out of the shower.

Anyway it reminded me of a movie I saw as a teenager but can literally remember only one scene. A guy gets lucky with a girl in her bedroom and at some point he lets his two buddies in through the window. They hide under the bed and they all take turns on the girl who doesn't notice because the lights are off. Eventually she does and the guys are chased off and have to run through the town covering their nudity with whatever they can find.

I have a feeling it might have been a direct to video film. I saw it on VHS and my memory tells me it looked pretty cheap. Most likely an 80s film, though I think it was set in the 50s/60s, maybe east coast USA (Atlantic City maybe?) I think the guys were Italian American, one chubby guy.

repeat

#1150 Post by repeat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:50 am

Sorry if I've asked this before but it's been bothering me for a while - what film is this scene from (Asian film, maybe Hong Kong or Taiwanese, I thought it was from Wong but I haven't been able to place it):
Master shot of a small apartment, single take, one character is bedridden (right side of frame), the main character (I think) comes to bring them provisions. The bedridden person tells them to wash their hands before handling the food, whereupon the main character goes to the toilet (left side of frame), opens the tap for a moment (not washing their hands), closes it and comes back. (This must be the single most passive-aggressive act I've ever seen in a film!)
Last edited by repeat on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.