The Jeffrey Wells Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: The Jeffrey Wells Thread

#226 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Jeffrey Wells Mod • 21 hours ago wrote: Wells to ihaveasaershooder: It's not dripping with anything. It's just a mild-mannered observation. One of the tenets of the new politically correct fascism is that there's absolutely no such thing as an unattractive or homely person with oddly assembled or heavyish male-ish features. Well, that may satisfy the tenets of the new fascism, but ii doesn't happen to be accurate.
Jeffrey Wells • 2 days ago wrote: What's your problem? I phrased it cautiously, respectfully. I don't live in those tight little wooden box crates that you think people should live in. I'm free to do what I want any old time. Within the bounds of reason and civility.

The best / worst thing about Wells is that not only he casually writes things like that, but he also thinks he HAS TO answer about people calling him on this. He's like the guy who doesn't know when to speak but also when to just shut up.

If this is just a mild-mannered cautiously and respectfully phrased observation, I can't even imagine what he reads like when he's going wilder.

Also, I believe that this explains just sooooooo much and I almost feel sad for him but actually no :
Jeffrey Wells • 21 hours ago wrote: Chelsea -- I've been doing nothing but struggle to attend to women's needs almost all my adult life. I was selfish in my 20s but I got with the program after I hit 30 or thereabouts. Relationships work only when you decide it's totally about her and not in the least about yourself, and even then you might get deep-sixed. I'm not squirming. I'm just honestly saying that IF I were a bi girl I would want to sleep with hot-looking honeys...that's all. What's so horrific about that?

med

#227 Post by med » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Political correctness has gone too far when elderly perverts can't masturbate on their keyboards w/o millennials trying to make them feel bad.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#228 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 pm

I remember a time when elderly perverts didn't feel the need to express what they're mastubated on, as if they HAD to or if people really cared about it. I wish this time could be back, sometimes.

med

#229 Post by med » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Manny Karp

#230 Post by Manny Karp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Well, there you go, you've all just put more money into his pockets

aox

#231 Post by aox » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Wow. Out of all of the awful stuff he has done or said, is this the worst? I haven't read him in over 8 years (though I enjoy this thread).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#232 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:26 pm

The Vinessa Shaw thing was the worst. There's (thankfully) probably no way for anyone to come back from that, so nothing from Wells since surprises me anymore

aox

#233 Post by aox » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:51 am

Wow

What a piece of shit.

Apologies to the board. I've missed most of this somehow.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#234 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:04 am

He probably thinks what he writes is un-PC, but it's actually only very immature. When he doesn't write BS about some movies ("there's too much grain on Stagecaoch", "A Hard Day's Night should be 1.66"), he writes social posts which have the maturity of a 15 years-old.
No, wait : I remember when I was 15 and actually had some friends who were more mature than that.

But in some ways, it's working for him : for every of his stupid post like the Kirsten Stewart one, there are multiple articles being written, putting him in the spotlights (even if for the wrong reasons). It's probably not giving him any long-term readers, but he certainly gets to be known that way.

aox

#235 Post by aox » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:01 am

tenia wrote:He probably thinks what he writes is un-PC, but it's actually only very immature. When he doesn't write BS about some movies ("there's too much grain on Stagecaoch", "A Hard Day's Night should be 1.66"), he writes social posts which have the maturity of a 15 years-old.
No, wait : I remember when I was 15 and actually had some friends who were more mature than that.

But in some ways, it's working for him : for every of his stupid post like the Kirsten Stewart one, there are multiple articles being written, putting him in the spotlights (even if for the wrong reasons). It's probably not giving him any long-term readers, but he certainly gets to be known that way.
So, Wells is sort of the Trump of "film critics"?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#236 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:01 am

I actually thought of that comparison.

Gregory

#237 Post by Gregory » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:31 pm

In several of the pieces linked above, commenters were posting photos of Wells with the idea that in the looks department, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. A few folks responded that to do that is to sink down to Wells's level, but I think they're sorely underestimating just how far down one would have to go to get to that level. It would probably take years of work with intensive study of PUA "negging" techniques and lessons on "what women are like."

A little more than Trump, he reminds me a little more of Cabbage Head from Kids in the Hall: he considers himself a wit and makes a lot of douche-ily insulting comments in a self-amused way. In at least one of those sketches, Cabbage makes a comment to a woman he barely knows about her body and then hedges with "But I don't mean that in a sexist way!" Textbook Wells. And when things aren't going his way, he jumps into the role of the wronged party, the unfairly-treated and resentful victim, just like Cabbage Head Man.

Their voices are extremely different, though. There was an audio clip on Hollywood Elsewhere once of Jeff calling a police department in search of one of his big black cowboy hats and his voice was very soft.

Zot!

#238 Post by Zot! » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm assuming after his email scandal, he's just doubling down on the Kanye tactic, and poking at celebrities to see if they will drive more traffic to his site. I assume that worked out just fine with Jennifer Lawrence, so what's he got to lose? I had never read him before this thread, for instance.

Gregory

#239 Post by Gregory » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:09 pm

If he thinks he's being Kanye then he's probably more deluded than I thought.
And if he's really getting exactly what he wants with this stuff, then I can't see why he's always such a baby about it (and my saying that is actually unfair to babies).
If he's being a troll and trying to get a rise out of people, then I'd think he'd sit back and enjoy the reaction rather than getting on the defensive: "Hey, everyone stop being mean to meeee!!" which shows that others have gotten a rise out of him and he's had the tables turned on him.

Also he used to do this kind of thing only once in a while, with hundreds of more routine blog posts in between, so I'm inclined to think all the stuff that he posts is what comes naturally to him and not any kind of act to get attention.

It's true that he probably has little to lose now that he's widely seen as a joke, but he could probably still lose:
- access to celebrities and places to go and be a film blogger with all the comped hotel rooms and other perks
- whatever respect he has left from anyone in the world who isn't like the commenters on his site who say things that are even dumber than Wells's own badly expressed points (e.g., "Bisexual is not an identity, just a confusion" and [regarding lesbian couples: "There's no sex though. Lesbians seem to like cuddling. That's why a lot of asexual women become lesbians, less pressure to do anything sexually.")

(edited for typo)
Last edited by Gregory on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesF

#240 Post by JamesF » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:58 am

Woah!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#241 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 am

Wells being Wells, aka the man who judge quicker than his shadow (and then gets caught for speaking condescendingly before thinking).

sir_luke

#242 Post by sir_luke » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:49 am

I think this goes well beyond condescension. How the fuck do you just talk to someone like that, especially out of the blue? He literally comes into the conversation as a stranger just to belittle and berate someone for having a strong response to a certain type of film - even without knowing "the full history," it's a completely lunatic thing to do.

He is such an irredeemable bastard that he tries to excuse himself by saying that "Twitter is fast and frenetic" as if that justifies his savaging of an unsuspecting stranger without provocation. Funny he makes such a bluster against Trump, because he seems to have just as much or more flagrant disregard for people's humanity. I'm sure no one on the forum needs to hear another person talk about what a sad, strange little man Wells is, but this irked me so bad.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#243 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:23 am

Twitter isn't fast and frenetic. Twitter is a platform for people like him to get frenetic. That's just not how you talk to people you don't even know. I don't even know how Wells ended up posting there but it seems so random, as if he's addicted to this kind of crap. "I need to bully someone, now !" He has no excuses.

Professor Wagstaff

#244 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:23 pm

I had a funny interaction with him a few months back. I post on his site from time to time. On one occasion, I commented on an article in which the link died for some reason. Wells sent emails to me and two other people who had commented on the link earlier that day to ask if we had the article still open on our computers or phones so he could recover the content. He emailed about 3pm on a Saturday and when no one responded to him immediately (hour at most), he sent a series of angry messages regarding us not checking our emails all the time as if we didn't have better things to do. I returned his email later that evening and politely told him that I was sorry but did not have the articles on hand. He said something like "Ok, thanks" and I never heard about it again.

captveg

#245 Post by captveg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:59 pm

sir_luke wrote:I think this goes well beyond condescension. How the fuck do you just talk to someone like that, especially out of the blue? He literally comes into the conversation as a stranger just to belittle and berate someone for having a strong response to a certain type of film - even without knowing "the full history," it's a completely lunatic thing to do.
This is why I will never be on Twitter. At least with message boards I pick and choose the context of my posts within the realm of topical headings. Sure, at times there are heated exchanges and misunderstandings, but there's at least an agreed upon forum to provide structure.

What I don't get on message boards - and what I certainly don't need from wacko strangers on Twitter - are ludicrous rude statements out of the blue like this gentleman received from Wells.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#247 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm already dry heaving and I'm only two paragraphs in

Perkins Cobb

#248 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Somewhere in Los Angeles (or Nizhny Novgorod, I guess) there is a "person of good stock with a fruit-loop aspect built in" who just dodged one gigantic bullet.

calculus entrophy

#249 Post by calculus entrophy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 pm

The phrase "couldn't happen to a nicer guy" has never fit better. Won't be surprised to see his heartbroken carcass wash up one day while on my daily bike past La Piedra,

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#250 Post by swo17 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Sometimes I get sad that I am not a woman because I can never truly know the love of Jeffrey Wells.