MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: MoviePass

#326 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Ribs, do you have any problem with chain theaters leaning on studios to keep smaller films from playing in competing independent theaters?

hearthesilence

#327 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Fortunately surge pricing does NOT apply to those with annual memberships, i.e. ME.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#328 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm
Fortunately surge pricing does NOT apply to those with annual memberships, i.e. ME.
Oh, sweet! Same.

Kirkinson

#329 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm

The stupidest thing about the surge pricing is that it seems like the people it's most likely to turn off are the ones MoviePass leans on most heavily to make money, i.e. the people who only see one or two movies a month. If someone sees just two high-demand blockbusters and they both come with a $6 surcharge, then MoviePass offers no savings whatsoever and could in fact be even more expensive than just buying tickets normally.

McCrutchy

#330 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:53 am

MoviePass Sells Hats, Hoodies And More

The prices must have risen over the weekend, because "Hat Damon" is now $19.99, not $15.99, and "Shirty Dancing" is now $25.99, not $20.79.

EDIT: Also, I find it interesting that MoviePass are using names like "Shirt Russel" and "Hat Damon", because the latter especially feels like something Matt Damon could sue them over. I mean, assuming they don't have his permission, which they might, but I find doubtful, I'm not sure how you could defend naming a hat with only a MoviePass logo "Hat Damon", when it is clearly not even trying to parody Matt Damon, and simply attempting to profit off the value of his name. At least "Shirt Russel" drops the last letter off of Kurt Russell's name, which probably makes it okay.

And just now:

MoviePass: Ticketing Service Parent Files Plan To Raise $1.2 billion

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#331 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:21 am

This is clearly just another of Damon's patented uncredited cameos

McCrutchy

#332 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

Huh, MoviePass Leadership Sure Seems Shady

I knew it. Farnsworth is shady as hell, and possibly a serial con man who drains start-up companies and then moves on when they're out of cash. Also, as linked in that article, Muralikrishna Gadiyaram, a major shareholder in MoviePass (and CEO of Helios and Matheson's former parent company, that was liquidated by court order in 2016), has serious financial issues of his own.

MongooseCmr

#333 Post by MongooseCmr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Can’t say I’m surprised at this point. You’d have to be corrupt or incompetent to run a business this well liked so poorly.

I’m not even sure I’ll be able to get much use of it this summer before it inevitably crashes. The last good multiplex in my area has switched over to online ticketing and seating charts, and it’s been impossible to get into anything at the door that isn’t flopping or on its way out. The theaters are all smaller now as well, so if even twenty people buy in advance then all the worthwhile seats are taken an hour before showtime. Those July surcharges aren’t even worth worrying about if you can’t buy tickets in peak hours to start with.

BigMack3000

#334 Post by BigMack3000 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Picked up an AMC A-list brochure last time I used my moviepass there. I'm much more hesitant to join now. It requires a three month commitment, and if you ever drop it, you're barred from rejoining for SIX months. It also appears that the price is only locked in for those first three months. After which, it could raise.

Also, all fathom events are excluded.

Luke M

#335 Post by Luke M » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 am

I got email about peak pricing and then clicked through to MoviePass site. Their site says it’ll roll out for every member. So much for annual subscriber benefit.

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#336 Post by Timec » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Though it looks like if you're already an annual member, the peak pricing won't effect you until after you renew.
MoviePass wrote:Yes, peak pricing will be active for monthly subscribers and any new annual subscribers. If you are in the middle of an annual plan and signed up before peak pricing, it will not impact you until your membership is up for renewal.

Luke M

MoviePass

#337 Post by Luke M » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Oh, good catch. I can’t imagine they’ll still be around when it comes time to renew.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#339 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 pm

The idea of a user-based rating system that can verify a user actually bought a ticket for the movie being reviewed certainly seems like a step up from everything we currently have.

EDIT: I can't get the article to load at work, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. With the benefit of having a log of a reviewers full theatrical experience, they could weigh scores more heavily for folks with a broader viewing experience than just summer blockbusters or who show a specialized interest the genre of the film being reviewed. They could also provide personalized recommendation based on reviews from people with similar viewing habits as your own. Either one of these would help bring exposure to films that often get overlooked.
Last edited by jindianajonz on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hearthesilence

#340 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Barely. I still remember the same moronic comments made by different people about Cast Away and Wall-E, the former happening DURING the movie: "Why's there no talking? What's going on? No one's saying anything? This movie's too complicated for my pea-sized brain!"
Last edited by hearthesilence on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#341 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm

True, but it still cuts back on the number of trolls who swarm ratings websites because of perceived political differences.

DeParis

#342 Post by DeParis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 am

It looks like MoviePass is suffering from another snafu. Last night I went to see a movie, but when I tried to check in using the MoviePass app I got a message that the card service isn't working. I checked the app today and it looks like there's still an outage, though apparently you can still check in at theaters providing e-ticketing. Pretty frustrating experience, I just wanted to give a heads-up so people don't find out about this bug only after they arrive at a theater.

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#343 Post by Timec » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am

Looks like the app outage is actually due to a "lack of funds."

I saw 38 movies during the first seven months of my annual membership, so I'm not feeling too cheated - but it'll still be disappointing if this is really it.

Foam

#344 Post by Foam » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:50 am

I saw that there was an outage and found out about surge pricing in the same moment and ragecancelled the app. In my territory we don't get enough good non-popular films for MoviePass to be a very good deal anymore.

willoneill

#345 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Timec wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am
... it'll still be disappointing if this is really it.
Moviepass stock was worth 8 cents on Monday. On Tuesday they split the stock, which was then valued to $21. By yesterday it was down to $7, and today after last night's issue, it's cut in half again.

I'd say this is it.

Oedipax

#346 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Mine appears to be working at the moment here in Atlanta... seeing as there's actually a handful of movies I'm interested in seeing this weekend, I hope they can hold out til Monday at least before the big crash.

I think I've used my MoviePass maybe 2-3x since getting it - there's just been a complete drought of stuff I cared about seeing the first half of this year.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#347 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:11 pm

If it happens (the company pulling a Lyle Lanley) within the first annual billing cycle it will take all I have not to just dispute the transactions in full from when we prepaid for a year, meaning that MoviePass will have been totally free.

It's a shame, because I would pay $20 a month for this service happily. And I think if they had decided, 6 months in, to make that kind of a leap in price or do limited tiers, they might have saved their own hides. But now it's too late to do much of anything.

Ribs

#348 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:58 pm

This is not the way I thought this would happen, but I’m not entirely sure why.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#349 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:09 pm

MoviePass? More like MovieFail amirite

hearthesilence

#350 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm