Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve, 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve, 2017)

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Indiewire
LOS ANGELES, CA, FEBRUARY 26, 2015 -- Harrison Ford will reprise his celebrated role of Rick Deckard in the sequel to Alcon Entertainment’s BLADE RUNNER and Academy Award nominee Denis Villeneuve to (Prisoners, Incendies) is in negotiations to direct, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Film is scheduled to start principle photography in summer of 2016. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridley Scott.

The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

State Johnson and Kosove: “We are honored that Harrison is joining us on this journey with Denis Villeneuve, who is a singular talent, as we experienced personally on Prisoners. Hampton and Michael, with Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team.”

Ford will next be seen in The Age of Adaline for Lionsgate and the highly anticipated upcoming Star Wars for Walt Disney Pictures. Recent releases include the Warner Bros./Legendary box office hit 42.

Villeneuve most recently directed the crime thriller Sicario, staring Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, and Benecio Del Toro for Black Label Media and Lionsgate. He also directed Canada’s Oscar nominated French language film Incendies, and Alcon Entertainment’s critically acclaimed Prisoners, staring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from producer Bud Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Yorkin will serve as a producer on the sequel along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released by Warner Bros., BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and was directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction).

BLADE RUNNER was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Narrator Returns

Re: Untitled Blade Runner Sequel (Denis Villeneuve, 2017)

#2 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 pm

Holy shit, if he brings Roger Deakins aboard, then I'm going to be first in line to something I assumed I had no interest in seeing.

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 am

I'm wondering how much of the original VFX team will be brought back on, and how they will approach it from a modern perspective compared to the very old-school techniques they used in the original.

warren oates

#4 Post by warren oates » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:38 am

I don't know but this seems like a really great team. Lest I say something blasphemous, but, here goes: the original never did all that and a bag of chips for me, like it seemed to for nearly everyone else who ever loved film and sci-fi. It's possible that -- at least if the script isn't Prometheus stoopid -- this is an even better outcome than Scott himself directing... Villeneuve has such excellent taste and really knows how to have his art and genre it too.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 am

Yeah, I'm officially jazzed for this now where I didn't think I would be either. I've only seen Enemy, but that was honestly enough to convince me he can bring something appropriate to the table here. I was afraid they would have gotten someone to basically just do the footwork for Scott, so to get someone who has a genuine eye of their own adds a lot more to the equation for me.

John Cope

#6 Post by John Cope » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:33 am

What are the chances of recruiting Vangelis again? Hopefully high. It would be nice to get some stylistic continuity of that sort and over the years I've come to think of his contribution as just as integral as Scott's. Surprised it's not Scott directing as he seems to have harbored a desire to do so for a long time but that's probably just as well and, in fact, at this stage I'm more suspect of the aspects of this that feature his prominent participation (the original story idea, for instance). Villeneuve is an inspired pick. Let's hope the script is as good as Ridley would have us believe.

Numero Trois

#7 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:22 am

warren oates wrote:I don't know but this seems like a really great team. Lest I say something blasphemous, but, here goes: the original never did all that and a bag of chips for me,
It didn't do anything for me either the two times I saw it. Scott seemed more on top of the technical aspects than having anything compelling to say. I think Pauline Kael's review of it was pretty much spot on.

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:29 am

This is the sequel that is going to ignore the second half of Blade Runner to have Harrison Ford and Joanna Cassidy team up to fight crime on the Offworld Colonies right? :wink:
Numero Trois wrote:
warren oates wrote:I don't know but this seems like a really great team. Lest I say something blasphemous, but, here goes: the original never did all that and a bag of chips for me,
It didn't do anything for me either the two times I saw it. Scott seemed more on top of the technical aspects than having anything compelling to say. I think Pauline Kael's review of it was pretty much spot on.
You both have to love the ending though.

solaris72

#9 Post by solaris72 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

I haven't seen any of Villeneuve's films but have heard good things. It's nice that they've selected a director who has never made an FX film before; hopefully the fact that such a director signed on means the script is actually good. I love the original but Ridley Scott is pretty hit-or-miss. Also, I'm not generally one to let a poor remake/sequel ruin the original, but nonetheless having a different director will make it even easier to compartmentalize the original if the sequel isn't any good.

PfR73

#10 Post by PfR73 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:48 pm

It's exciting news, but I just hope it doesn't derail Villeneuve's sci-fi film Story Of Your Life with Amy Adams.

jojo

#11 Post by jojo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Hahaha. I wonder if Sean Young will be in it. She's burned a lot of bridges over the years.

Lost Highway

#12 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm

jojo wrote:Hahaha. I wonder if Sean Young will be in it. She's burned a lot of bridges over the years.
I doubt she will be asked, though I wouldn't put it past her to turn up in a Rachael outfit and demand a role.

Sean Young in Blade Runner was one of those fortuitous occasions where an actors limitations worked for the role. Her flat delivery enhanced the doll like quality of the character and made her oddly touching. I've always had a soft spot for Young and her brand of crazy seemed relatively harmless when compared to some of her male counterparts.

Zot!

#13 Post by Zot! » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:19 pm

They should just go ahead and make divergent sequels to each of the 5(?) cuts.

The Narrator Returns

#16 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed May 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Finally, a reason to see this movie. If he does anything in the ballpark of the Shanghai sequence in Skyfall or even the drive to the hospital in Prisoners, this will be a thing of beauty.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Untitled Blade Runner Sequel (Denis Villeneuve, 2018)

#20 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:28 pm

I never thought a Blade Runner sequel would be coming, let alone getting a slow rollout Oscar-qualifying release. What an age we live in.

beamish13

#21 Post by beamish13 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm just really curious to know where they'll be filming this. Returning to the Burbank backlots? Perhaps China this time around, or in rainy Vancouver?

big ticket

#22 Post by big ticket » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:26 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I never thought a Blade Runner sequel would be coming, let alone getting a slow rollout Oscar-qualifying release. What an age we live in.
What leads you to believe this? There doesn't seem to be any indication that that is the plan (although, admittedly, that is what crossed my mind when I first saw the release date), and in fact, most pundits seem to be citing the sort of pressure-free, slim competition nature of that weekend's slot as reasons behind its landing there.

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:29 pm

It could very well be both. As the article also indicates American Sniper opened that same weekend last year. That did very well for WB, and it also had Oscar buzz and nominations eventually.

Jeff

#24 Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Trees

#25 Post by Trees » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 pm

So if Ford/Deckard is in the film, does that mean that the happy ending in the car tacked onto "Blade Runner" by the producers and studio actually turned out to be the real ending? HAHAHA. Yorkin strikes from beyond the grave.