Ma Loute [Slack Bay] (Bruno Dumont, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
accatone

Ma Loute [Slack Bay] (Bruno Dumont, 2016)

#1 Post by accatone » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:13 am

Ma Loute, new film de Dumont:

http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/cinema/b ... 32516.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again set in my new go-to spring or fall holiday
hot spot…

mff

Re: Bruno Dumont

#2 Post by mff » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lU1dR9X9VY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeff

Re: Bruno Dumont

#3 Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:12 pm

mff wrote:Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lU1dR9X9VY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
with English subtitles

doh286

Re: Ma Loute [Slack Bay] (Bruno Dumont, 2016)

#4 Post by doh286 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:26 pm

dustin

#5 Post by dustin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:07 am

I don't know. I am hoping he gets back to serious dramas. Little Quinquin didn't do it for me.

Soothsayer

#6 Post by Soothsayer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:30 am

The trailer looked a bit like a period rehash of P'tit Quinquin. The diving suit bit was funny.

Oedipax

#7 Post by Oedipax » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:10 pm

P'tit Quinquin was brilliant in my estimation, I'm less sure about this one so far. What I liked most about Quinquin was how Dumont reimagined his earlier work in a comic register, while maintaining many of the same themes and the overall aesthetic. I don't get the same vibe from this trailer, exactly, but I trust Dumont knows what he's doing.

Soothsayer

#8 Post by Soothsayer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Oedipax wrote:What I liked most about Quinquin was how Dumont reimagined his earlier work in a comic register, while maintaining many of the same themes and the overall aesthetic.
While there are definitely comic beats/themes about it that I loved (Fellini reference, funeral scene, SPEEDYMAN!). I found that my appreciation of this really kicks in near the end...when, imo, Dumont drops the comedy and goes into more familiar territory (for him). My other favorite element was Dumont's blunt take on the provincial racism.

I love the risk-taking (the comedy), but I'm not sure it's successful.

knives

#9 Post by knives » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I've certainly lost out on a lot of what this film is talking about given my own lack of cultural awareness, but even with that this is easily the best I've seen from Dumont. It plays out a bit like an old school BBC parody of Renoir with some Roy Andersson stylings infused to it. Which is mostly to say it is pretty in a very enjoyable way even as some of the jokes go too broad or are too one note (the wife falling all the time for example). Still for every gag that falls flat there a good three that are hilarious. The hunchbacked father in particular is great. He speaks in this horrible, put upon, upper class accent that sounds like a really bad imitation of C Aubrey Smith.

The more Dumount typical elements such as the violence and class politics also seem to breath more easily here. They're a bit heavy handed, but that's nothing new.