Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2016)

#76 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 am

Ironically this thread made me like both of you more

zedz

#77 Post by zedz » Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 pm

So it seems from this thread to date that I'm the only person to have seen the feature length version with the Blanchett narration?

The film is full of incredible footage, but there's a a lot about it that is simply not good. The narration is even more vaporous and pretentious than usual, and it's all over the film, adding nothing but flatulence. "Mother? Where aaare you? Where am I? Where are weee? Are we theeere yet?"

There are also incessant interruptions of extremely ugly contemporary footage (gesticulating street loonies, close-up drunk-cam wedding ceremonies, cattle slaughter) presented in ultra-degraded SD, which, if Malick is trying to make some kind of point about the fallen nature of modern society, seems to me aesthetically dishonest. These interludes don't help the otherwise chronological structure, which in isolation would have been nicely unemphatic, and seemed like little more than filler to me - they must account for at least a quarter of an hour of the total running time, all told. And I'm guessing that the early man sequence is much more extensive here than in the shorter versions, as it did go on and on, only drawing comical attention to all the artful posing required to obscure any and all genitalia.

matrixschmatrix

#78 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue May 16, 2017 12:08 am

Yeah, I think literally everything that you're unhappy about was absent from the narration-free version- the modern footage in it was brief, and filmed in the same ecstatic style and with (to my eye) the same filmstock as the rest of the film, and was (as best I can recall) mostly a little girl running around on a lawn. The early man sequence seemed brief and pointed, and the whole thing has lived well in my memory; it sounds like the interpolations in the Blanchett one are almost entirely bloat.

JamesF

#79 Post by JamesF » Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 am

zedz wrote:So it seems from this thread to date that I'm the only person to have seen the feature length version with the Blanchett narration?
No, I saw it at the London Film Festival last year too, and I can't disagree with anything you said in your post. Some lovely footage of course, and meditative as ever, but in an era when nature documentaries and commercials mimic Malick's modern aesthetic so readily, much of it just seemed redundant. I'd certainly be curious to see it again in the version matrixschmatrix describes though.

zedz

#80 Post by zedz » Tue May 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Yeah, the version matrixschmatrix describes sounds like a vast improvement. Here's hoping that eventually sees a release.

Oedipax

#81 Post by Oedipax » Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm

zedz wrote:There are also incessant interruptions of extremely ugly contemporary footage (gesticulating street loonies, close-up drunk-cam wedding ceremonies, cattle slaughter) presented in ultra-degraded SD, which, if Malick is trying to make some kind of point about the fallen nature of modern society, seems to me aesthetically dishonest.
It's footage shot by a photographer, Lee Jeffries, known for his portraits of homeless people and street prostitutes. Several years ago he was contacted by Malick, who then sent him the SD camera he used, called the Digital Harinezumi. I think it's the same one used at the beginning of To the Wonder. There's a Facebook post about it here where you can read a bit more about it and see some of the footage. Pretty harrowing stuff.

I personally love what Malick has been doing with the GoPro and other non-professional cameras in his recent films. I especially love the opening of Knight of Cups, with the children playing in the yard, so reminiscent of Tree of Life except shot like a home movie rather than a big budget film. In general he seems to use these cameras for their primal/visceral quality (think of Fassbender's introduction in Song to Song, riding on the motorcycle), as if we were seeing a direct recording of reality unfiltered by film's more seductive tendencies (which is itself a type of aestheticization, admittedly). I'm often reminded of Godard's use of DV in films like Eloge de l'amour when I watch recent Malick's recent work, which is about the highest compliment I could pay it.

willoneill

#82 Post by willoneill » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:00 am

French blu-ray - yes I can see it says DVD on the spine, but there's a separate listing for the DVD edition.

inderweltsein

#83 Post by inderweltsein » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Here is the Blu-ray cover/artwork:
https://www.facebook.com/OneBigSoul.The ... 5819802507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SalParadise

#84 Post by SalParadise » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm very tempted to buy this French Blu-Ray, but I'm wondering if there will be forced subtitles? I've seen this on DVD way back.

John Cope

#85 Post by John Cope » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:03 pm

I've been told that the US release is supposedly set for October (not sure how accurate that info is though). Anyway, what I'm most concerned about at this point is having the most versions available, preferably on one set. I wonder what the likelihood is of multiple versions turning up on any of these forthcomings Blus.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#86 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 am

I will wait before jumping on the French release, which is likely only to have one version (though my hopes of finding a multi-version release somewhere are probably too high anyway).

Costa

#87 Post by Costa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54 am

I wonder if Criterion gets this.

Oedipax

#88 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 am

Costa wrote:I wonder if Criterion gets this.
That would certainly be the best case scenario, especially with all the different cuts of this floating around. Probably the only shot of seeing them all released on video, unless the releases of the film vary from region to region enough to patch it all together.

gfxtwin

#89 Post by gfxtwin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 am

So...no bluray release? Seems like there hasn't been word of this film all year.

kcota17

#90 Post by kcota17 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:48 am

Hopefully it’s featured on the Criterion release of Tree of Life.

MoonlitKnight

#91 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:49 am

I was assuming Broad Green's drama was what was holding up its home video release. :-k

Oedipax

#92 Post by Oedipax » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:00 pm

The 90 minute Cate Blanchett/theatrical cut has been out in France on blu-ray since September. (It's markedly different than the 45 minute VO-less IMAX 3.56:1 version I saw theatrically.)

gfxtwin

#93 Post by gfxtwin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Oedipax wrote:The 90 minute Cate Blanchett/theatrical cut has been out in France on blu-ray since September. (It's markedly different than the 45 minute VO-less IMAX 3.56:1 version I saw theatrically.)
Region locked, or region-free?

Oedipax

#94 Post by Oedipax » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 am

Region B, according to Amazon.