The Picture of Dorian Gray (Annie Clark, 201X)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Picture of Dorian Gray (Annie Clark, 201X)

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm

In this excellent longform New Yorker piece on St. Vincent, Annie Clark says "The likelihood of making this film is, like, two per cent" due to the estimated required budget, but it sounds like the writing process is very much underway and it has Lionsgate's backing
Or motion pictures. Last year, Clark co-wrote and directed a short film called “The Birthday Party,” for “XX,” an anthology of horror films directed by women. In it, a suburban mother hides her dead husband’s body inside a large panda suit at her young daughter’s birthday, and it keels over into the cake, providing the film’s subtitle: “The Memory Lucy Suppressed from Her Seventh Birthday That Wasn’t Really Her Mom’s Fault (Even Though Her Therapist Says It’s Probably Why She Fears Intimacy).” At one point, Clark had a development deal to write and direct another film, called “Young Lover,” which is also the name of a song on the new album. A writer in her twenties has a sadomasochistic affair with an older married woman—“ ‘Swimming Pool’ meets ‘Bitter Moon’ meets ‘Blue Velvet’ ” is how Clark pitched it. Recently, Lionsgate, mining properties out of copyright, approached Clark with the idea of directing a film based on “The Picture of Dorian Gray,” with a female protagonist. The writer is David Birke, who wrote the screenplay for “Elle,” with Isabelle Huppert, which had become an obsession of Clark’s. (In the film, Huppert’s character’s father is in prison.) Birke, it turned out, had taken his daughter to see a show during the “Marry Me” tour, ten years ago. So, here was mutual admiration, a chance to play together in the sandbox of success.

The “Dorian Gray” treatment called for six historical settings. “It would be an expensive film to make,” Clark said. She reckoned twenty-five million dollars. “The likelihood of making this film is, like, two per cent. But I don’t care, because it’s fun. Worst-case scenario is I get seen as a hardworking person with ideas in a medium I’m interested in. I sort of subscribe to the idea of the busier you are, the busier you are.”

Lost Highway

Re: The Picture of Dorian Gray (Annie Clark, 201X)

#3 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 am

I like St. Vincent but thought Annie Clark's contribution to the horror anthology XX was an unbearable quirkfest, just the type of self satisfied crap a wacky indie musician would make if given a camera.