Same Kind of Different as Me (Michael Carney, 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
ianthemovie

Re: Same Kind of Different as Me (Michael Carney, 2017)

#51 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

I just saw an ad for this online. Apparently it still hasn't come out yet (it's set to release October 20). I thought for sure it came and went a year ago, or else had been shelved/buried.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#52 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 pm

I think the rights changed hands to the God's Not Dead folks, and they seem to release one tentpole film per year, in October. I could be wrong about some of that, but I think that's the latest on this pile of garbage

beamish13

#53 Post by beamish13 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm still eagerly anticipating this. Probably the most "Holyfuckingshit" film of whatever year it does eventually get released in.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#54 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:31 pm

It's funny that it's especially tonedeaf to release this film now since fluffy "diversity" is no longer a part of an increasingly nakedly racist Christian right in the U.S. - it would've fit right in prior to Obama's presidency, but now the idea that right wingers are going to flock to a film about a black person being on a white family's property that doesn't involve a Stand Your Ground law in this climate is hilarious

Big Ben

#55 Post by Big Ben » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Most shocking (Or perhaps least shocking if you prefer) is that this is actually based on a true story that was published as a book. Make of that what you will.
mfunk9786 wrote:It's funny that it's especially tonedeaf to release this film now since fluffy "diversity" is no longer a part of an increasingly nakedly racist Christian right in the U.S. - it would've fit right in prior to Obama's presidency, but now the idea that right wingers are going to flock to a film about a black person being on a white family's property that doesn't involve a Stand Your Ground law in this climate is hilarious
I would imagine the individuals watching this film would prefer a depiction of what they perceived as a "safe black person" not one protesting racial inequality, police brutality etc.

Gregory

#56 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Big Ben wrote:Most shocking (Or perhaps least shocking if you prefer) is that this is actually based on a true story that was published as a book. Make of that what you will.
Do you think it's shocking that there's a book like this and that it sold loads of copies?
I gave my thoughts on it on the previous page if anyone wants to know them, and I couldn't be shocked about this after having seen the nonfiction bestseller lists as long as I can remember filled with this kind of melted vanilla-flavored soft-serve ice cream.