It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm 

willoneill wrote:
I Am Not a Witch (Rungano Nyoni)

B- - This film from Zambia is about a young girl (maybe 7 or 8) who is accused of witchcraft by her village, and is taken into state custody as part of their witch program. I assume the film is a satire (I certainly hope so). This is a film where I thought most of the individual scenes worked quite well, but it never really added up to much for me. I think part of it has to do with the film not clearly explaining how the government witch program works. You get pieces of the mechanism in several scenes, but I still found it confusing. One of the funniest bits of satire, however, is the talk show sequence, but even that fizzles out.

I can't speak for the film at large, but witches is still a pretty major problem at least in west Africa. Allison Berg's Witches in Exile is a decent enough look at a refugee camp for witches.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:18 am 

Viennale-Trailer 2017: HANS (by Abel Ferrara)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmILjrQyyRU

After Mekas, Lynch, JLG and others (if i remember correctly). This is dedicated to Hans Hurch, the festival director who passed away in July. I have never attended the festival but from its programming it almost always looks very very interesting! I also love and own many of "their" book publications.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:22 pm 

James Franco has just won San Sebastian Golden shell for best film with The disaster artist, film that everybody has loved ! ? (sic)
Is he Spaniard in origin? He looks Spaniard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm 

He's Portuguese decent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:49 pm 

accatone wrote:
Viennale-Trailer 2017: HANS (by Abel Ferrara)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmILjrQyyRU

After Mekas, Lynch, JLG and others (if i remember correctly). This is dedicated to Hans Hurch, the festival director who passed away in July. I have never attended the festival but from its programming it almost always looks very very interesting! I also love and own many of "their" book publications.

I went 3 years ago, and will be there this year. Programming is interesting and eclectic. Festival is totally English friendly,the cinemas are pleasant and all withi walking distance. Tickets were pretty easy to come by. Vienna is a lovely city as well. Recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am 

Figured maybe this would be a good place to pose this question since the zedzes and yoshimoris of the world might be able to weigh in: LQ and I are conflicted between seeing Custody (French title is Jusqu'à la garde) and Thoroughbreds (which are scheduled at the same time) at the Philadelphia Film Festival. Anyone have a preference, or at least an opinion on either one of those films they can share?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:26 am 

Haven't seen either, but, if you can wait, Focus Features is supposed to release Thoroughbreds in Spring 2018.

[And if you're taking recommendations for stylish, early-Taviani-but-better-esque feminist folktales, I'd point to Indonesian director Mouly Surya's Marlina: the Murderer in 4 Acts. Trailer].

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 pm 

I haven't seen either of those films, unfortunately, but I've also seen Marlina the Murderer in 4 Acts. I didn't adore it, but it was stylish, atmospheric and pulpishly enjoyable. On Body and Soul is worth a look too: a very dark, very weird rom-com, beautifully shot and full of elements that will repel a large chunk of the audience for quirky rom-coms! The Desert Bride is very well done, but it's familiar festival territory. Most of the others I've seen should be known quantities by now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 pm 

I appreciate you both taking a moment to look at the schedule for our little festival and providing recommendations! I think with our available time we’ll be able to at least see On Body and Soul out of those.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 am 

I'd second the Enyedi. Interesting idea, and very-well executed, but frustrating ending.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10