I Love You, Daddy (Louis C.K., 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

I Love You, Daddy (Louis C.K., 2017)

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:43 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: I Love You, Daddy (Louis C.K., 2017)

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 am

Hollywood Reporter review-- sounds exactly like a 2+ hour episode of Louie

beamish13

#3 Post by beamish13 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

I'm surprised that Vernon Chatman co-wrote this with C.K., as it doesn't really seem to be in the former's more surreal/prankish wheelhouse. I realized that C.K. wrote the introduction to his collection of outlandish essay mill responses, Mindsploitation

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am

Clarence

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#5 Post by Clarence » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:35 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Ribs

#7 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

I was shocked to discover this film is still being given a semi-wide expansion over the late November period as of this week, something that I don't even think it really could have done well in if the movie were any good and/or CK hadn't become totally toxic to many

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Not knowing the specifics (aside from rumors to this point) of what this NYT story is going to delve into, I'll fess to having really liked C.K. for years now, since first seeing his HBO special Shameless years ago. I find it particularly unfortunate that so many people are conflating his complicated, occasionally difficult comedy with whatever this story will prove to reveal, as if anyone who is a particularly dirty comedian must be so because of their capacity to do something terrible.

All of the above being said, I also think people take stand up comedy way way way way way too seriously in recent years (all the most popular podcasts seem to involve stand up comedians talking to other stand up comedians about how important stand up comedy is, and much of the alt right sanctimony we enjoy today was in its infancy around perceived slights to the freedom of speech of some losers trying to say the n-word or make a rape joke in some dingy comedy club). So the idea of perhaps the biggest name in that industry at this point being exposed for abusing that notoriety is something that will be a welcome change of pace, and be the catalyst for yet another male-dominated field doing some serious housecleaning.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 pm

I thought the story already broke (see here for example) but nobody cared because it was pre-Weinstein.

flyonthewall2983

#10 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:10 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:All of the above being said, I also think people take stand up comedy way way way way way too seriously in recent years (all the most popular podcasts seem to involve stand up comedians talking to other stand up comedians about how important stand up comedy is, and much of the alt right sanctimony we enjoy today was in its infancy around perceived slights to the freedom of speech of some losers trying to say the n-word or make a rape joke in some dingy comedy club).
Thank you thank you thank you for putting into words what I've been struggling with, with regards to stand-up nowadays. I actually enjoy some of those podcasts but that culture of self-righteousness has almost ruined comedy for me. Someone like Bill Burr, who just comes off like your dad who espouses on and on about things he only has half a clue about, is emblematic of this problem. I had a discussion about him with someone else who is a fan and used the line that just because he laughs he doesn't agree. I used a Carlin bit to demonstrate the difference between that and laughing, not agreeing but considering the point being made in a way you might not have expected. That was his genius, and it seems like most stand-ups now Burr included, aren't up to par in that way.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 pm

swo17 wrote:I thought the story already broke (see here for example) but nobody cared because it was pre-Weinstein.
Well, that's more than a little murky, plus we don't know what's going to be in the Times tomorrow morning. Could go a lot further than what's implied in this article, but then again could just start to put names and dates to the suppositions that've been made in blind items in the last few years. The New York Times isn't really in the blind item business, though. Something tells me it'll be pretty incendiary.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:All of the above being said, I also think people take stand up comedy way way way way way too seriously in recent years (all the most popular podcasts seem to involve stand up comedians talking to other stand up comedians about how important stand up comedy is, and much of the alt right sanctimony we enjoy today was in its infancy around perceived slights to the freedom of speech of some losers trying to say the n-word or make a rape joke in some dingy comedy club).
Thank you thank you thank you for putting into words what I've been struggling with, with regards to stand-up nowadays. I actually enjoy some of those podcasts but that culture of self-righteousness has almost ruined comedy for me. Someone like Bill Burr, who just comes off like your dad who espouses on and on about things he only has half a clue about, is emblematic of this problem. I had a discussion about him with someone else who is a fan and used the line that just because he laughs he doesn't agree. I used a Carlin bit to demonstrate the difference between that and laughing, not agreeing but considering the point being made in a way you might not have expected. That was his genius, and it seems like most stand-ups now Burr included, aren't up to par in that way.
I can't say I specifically know what you mean re: Burr, but I do think that the popularity of radio shows like Opie & Anthony (which had its moments many years ago) and the glorification of dirty stand up comics, coupled with the smothering of television and film with progressive stand up comics (to varying results of success), tripled with almost forensic-level discussion of it and improv in the form of podcasts and the like, has resulted in just far too much reverence for what was always sort of its own weird thing.

That was a pop cultural bleed-in that already has fully completed its hemorrhaging with comic book culture, and that I sense is just beginning with professional wrestling of all things. It's very hard for anything to be niche anymore, and not to be over-saturated to the point of an overload of puritanical obsessiveness from people who are deepest ensconced in its fandom.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Big Ben

#13 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm

This doesn't really differ much from what I'd heard certain individuals start speaking about around the time the Weinstein story broke and some time before. How much he suffers remains to be seen but the open secret nature of this story is what bothers me the most.

matrixschmatrix

#14 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 pm

There's been a longstanding back and forth with other women in comedy- Jen Kirkman and Garfunkle and Oates in particular- where it was at one point reasonably clear that this had happened to them, and then they backed off (or left it at an amorphous and pointed thing without actually making a specific accusation.). I think what this says to me is that backing off is often conditioned by pressure and not by what actually happened.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:07 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Garfunkle and Oates
I think this NYT story clears up once and for all that who everyone assumed was them in blind items, etc were actually, in the words of the story, "a Chicago comedy duo, Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov"

All there is to really say to this is that depending on what else comes out, C.K. was not a gigantic name during this time period (or anywhere close to that), and that in recent years his biggest transgression has been refusing to say a word about this stuff. Regardless, even if this is where the accusations stop, his behavior during that time was reprehensible, and this will surely have a deserved impact on him (and one would have to guess his manager, Dave Becky, as well).

I have tremendously little sympathy for people who, upon considering their options for an outlet for their sexual frustration (of which, busy family life or not, there are many), choose to involve someone that is entirely (either romantically or even financially) non-consenting in their own personal activities.

thirtyframesasecond

#16 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm

It must be a sexual humiliation thing, to jerk off in front of women who are totally unnerved by it, but damn, it's weird.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#17 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm

The most frightening (and perhaps telling) part of the Times' story:
When he phoned her, he said he was sorry for shoving her into a bathroom. Ms. Corry replied that he had never done that, but had instead asked to masturbate in front of her.
Hm.

Werewolf by Night

Re: Harvey Weinstein & Other Hollywood Abuse Accusations

#18 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:23 pm

The story is up. Looks like I’ll be putting my Louie discs in the trash when I get home from work.

Roger Ryan

#19 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:57 pm

The part I found most chilling was that Tig Notaro based the masturbating radio station executive from the (great) second season of One Mississippi on Louie C.K. - a show C.K. is listed as an executive producer on. Adding the fact that C.K. ripped off Notaro's Clown Service short when he last appeared on Saturday Night Live demonstrates how they must feel about each other.

flyonthewall2983

#20 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:23 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:That was a pop cultural bleed-in that already has fully completed its hemorrhaging with comic book culture, and that I sense is just beginning with professional wrestling of all things.
While it's certainly surprising to some degree, looking in hindsight it almost felt eventual. The WWF's biggest audience in the 80's were kids. And now a lot of them have grown up, some into high positions in the entertainment world. Even in the sports world, to the point that ESPN and Sports Illustrated (who at times during the boom of the 80's and 90's, spoke of pro wrestling with a barely-disguised disdain) are covering wrestling news now. And ESPN themselves had some of the highest ratings so far this week with their 30 For 30 on Ric Flair.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#21 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Big Ben

#22 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Remarkable that even with all the money in the world people like this don't seek treatment. Pondering if he'll "seek treatment" like Spacey or Weinstein.

hearthesilence

#23 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Jesus, until the string of scandals rolling out this past month, I never heard of people who were serial exhibitionist masturbators, if that's an accurate term. A forthcoming statement to "seek treatment" may be met with a great deal of cynicism (and rightfully so), but regardless of what happens, these people really are sick and probably need some kind of psychiatric treatment. Having no background in psychiatry, I have no idea what that would be - medication? Therapy?

Big Ben

#24 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm

It varies. Certain individuals who exhibit these characteristics, alongside psychopathic behavior (Like Weinstein) have different treatments than others. I can give more information in PM if necessary if anyone really wants it. For clarification the reason I know this is because I've had to go to therapy because of actually being hurt by someone in this capacity. It's not a particularly fun topic to discuss but the power structure in the industry fosters bad behavior and also covers it up.

bdsweeney

#25 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Big Ben wrote:It varies. Certain individuals who exhibit these characteristics, alongside psychopathic behavior (Like Weinstein) have different treatments than others. I can give more information in PM if necessary if anyone really wants it. For clarification the reason I know this is because I've had to go to therapy because of actually being hurt by someone in this capacity. It's not a particularly fun topic to discuss but the power structure in the industry fosters bad behavior and also covers it up.
Please tell me to piss off and tell me it’s none of my business if you like, but I’m curious if the past experiences you allude to have coloured your ability to view the works of these people. (I’m carrying this discussion over from the Weinstein thread and the topic of separating art from artist.)