Festival Circuit 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

Re: Festival Circuit 2018

#176 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:09 pm

I forgot to mention Marcello Fonte (the titular dogman) won for Dogman.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#177 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Labaki wins Jury. Palme between Spike and Kore-eda.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#178 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Spike won the Grand Prix.

Kore-eda, the Palme. Fair enough!

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#179 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm not saying they should put JLG on the jury next year, but they should give him veto power.

Finch

#180 Post by Finch » Sat May 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Seems like Cannes 2018 wrongfooted all the naysayers and produced a very solid competition this year. I'm most looking forward to Happy as Lazarro, BlacKkKlansman, Shoplifters, Burning, Los Silencios, Long Day's Journey Into Night, Diamantino, Birds of Passages and 3 Faces.

Best Screenplay (TIE) Alice Rohrwacher for Happy as Lazzaro and Jafar Panahi and Nader Saeivar for Three Faces

Best Actress Samal Yeslyamova for Ayka

Best Actor Marcello Fonte for Dogman

Best Director Pawel Pawlikowski for Cold War

Jury Prize Capernaum, directed by Nadine Labaki

Grand Prix BlacKkKlansman, directed by Spike Lee

Special Palme d'Or Jean-Luc Godard for The Image Book

Palme d’Or Shoplifters, directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda

yoshimori

#181 Post by yoshimori » Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't know - maybe a fair number of the regular naysayers, like me, just got fed up and, like me, finally stayed home this year. In any case, none of the trailers/clips of the top prizewinners looks remotely thrilling, iyam. Even the top-reviewed (and prizeless) film, Lee Chang-dong's, looks relatively artless, if potentially gripping. You're right, though, that the average review scores were a couple tics up this year.

Shoplifters trailer
BlacKkKlansman trailer
Capernaum clip
Cold War clip

Nay, nay, nay, nay! :)

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#182 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Netflix picked up Girl and Lazzaro felice, which is commendable especially if you take into account that it took over a year for The Wonders to debut stateside and that it, uh, just opened in Russia. (Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they inked the deal thinking Rohrwacher would win the Palme, given the timing of their announcement.)

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#183 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Cohen picks up Girls of the Sun and Ash is Purest White.

Hopefully IFC gets in on this. Would love for Ceylan and Burning to be on Criterion.

colinr0380

#184 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 pm

I would slightly disagree yoshimori - this seems like a fantastic year at Cannes with a least a dozen films that I'm excited to get a chance to see!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed May 23, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cremildo

#185 Post by Cremildo » Sat May 19, 2018 6:03 pm

I must say that I haven't been so excited about the main competition line-up in years. Many contenders look promising, especially the Italian and Asian ones. It was thrilling to witness so many positive reactions this year, almost daily.

Persona

#186 Post by Persona » Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm

trying to wrap my head around Burning and The Wild Pear Tree garnering the high level of nearly unanimous, exuberant praise that they are getting, and neither getting any sort of award.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#187 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Persona wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm
trying to wrap my head around Burning and The Wild Pear Tree garnering the high level of nearly unanimous, exuberant praise that they are getting, and neither getting any sort of award.
Maybe just too many worthwhile films (pace yoshimori). ;-)

Big Ben

#188 Post by Big Ben » Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Wondering if this will be like when Godard was given an Honorary Oscar and they could find him for several weeks or something. I can't imagine he gives a shit.

yoshimori

#189 Post by yoshimori » Sun May 20, 2018 4:03 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 pm
Persona wrote:
Maybe just too many worthwhile films ...
Or maybe the jurors just didn't think those films were all that good ... or ... or ...

It's a bit too soon to have a strong sense of what the jury really thought, I'd think. And we may never know. In any case, a quick look at the polls and grids shows that the praise for Burning and WPT wasn't actually "nearly unanimous" - a fair number of French critics disliked both - and always "exuberant", so no surprise, really, that the some of the choices made by Ms Blanchett et al did not reflect the critical average. The jury's 3rd place film, for instance, was the 18th ranked out of 21 films in the "cannes-ratings" site's poll of (critics') polls.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#190 Post by tenia » Sun May 20, 2018 5:13 am

Persona wrote:
It's nothing new. Last year, Good Time, The Day After and The Meyerowitz Stories were amongst the best rated In Competition movies and got no award.
2016 : Elle, Paterson, Sierranevada, Aquarius
2015 : Mountains May Depart
And I suppose you can find many others that were very well received but ended up with no award.
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 pm
Maybe just too many worthwhile films (pace yoshimori). ;-)
Many journalists I've been discussing Cannes with told me rather the opposite.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#191 Post by Omensetter » Sun May 20, 2018 8:59 am

Really, the only misstep the jury could have made would be to have given something to Girls of the Sun. It seems to have existed in Competition just to be screened the day-of the women's march and subsequently eclipsed. The Labaki earned its fair share of vitriol and looks like something I'd hate, but it's easy to see a lot of people loving it (it was Gary Oldman's favorite as he was coming into the awards ceremony, so it may be for the guilty liberal set, not, uh, suggesting Oldman is such).

In the end, though: Hirokazu Kore-eda---a filmmaker I'd massively taken for granted, probably because he releases a film a year (he has one with Deneuve/Binoche on track for next year's Cannes), but one I'm ultimately happy with winning. I obviously don't know him as a person, but he displayed the sort of humility humanity should aspire to---again, fantastic for him for winning the famous award at an ultimately non-meritocratic festival.

(Alongside others, hopefully the two favorites not feted---Burning and The Wild Pear Tree---will find a home. The former looks like a solid IFC film, the latter potentially for the Cinema Guild/Grasshopper. I'd love for Netflix to pick up a lot of these films, but they ask for worldwide rights.

Beforehand, the festival was a complete question mark too. It had a good look on-paper with big names, but then so did the 2017 edition. Now those films that were previously on paper (rejected or not ready) look to land at Venice or Locarno: Dolan, Korine, Denis, Audiard, Assayas, DePalma, Sorrentino, Cuarón, Hansen-Løve, Leigh, Malick, Nemes, Costa, Reygadas...

Finch

#192 Post by Finch » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

The French critics are a strange bunch. If ScreenDaily's grid was anything to go by last time I checked they seemed most favourable to their own country's films than anyone else's.

I don't know you, Yoshimori, so please don't take this personal, but at times your reviews of films makes it seem like you are almost impossibly hard to please. I mean, I don't give everything I see a pass easily either, but man, reading your stuff feels like, do you actually enjoy anything?

yoshimori

#193 Post by yoshimori » Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm
I don't know you, Yoshimori, so please don't take this personal, but ... do you actually enjoy anything?
I enjoy the conducting of Bruno Maderna and Frans Bruggen. Sometimes. ... ... I like to play badminton. ... Uh, let me think ... ... There's a really good pizza joint in the Azabu-juban district of Tokyo.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#194 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm
I enjoy the conducting of Bruno Maderna and Frans Bruggen. Sometimes. ... ... I like to play badminton. ... Uh, let me think ... ... There's a really good pizza joint in the Azabu-juban district of Tokyo.
So ... not really all that much. ;-)

colinr0380

#195 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 pm

When you have those three things, what more in life do you need?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#196 Post by Brian C » Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

colinr0380 wrote:When you have those three things, what more in life do you need?
If I were a mod, I’d be sorely tempted to move this comment to the SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE thread.

Aunt Peg

#197 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed May 23, 2018 4:11 am

Omensetter wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:59 am

(Alongside others, hopefully the two favorites not feted---Burning and The Wild Pear Tree---will find a home. The former looks like a solid IFC film, the latter potentially for the Cinema Guild/Grasshopper. I'd love for Netflix to pick up a lot of these films, but they ask for worldwide rights.

Would you really like Netflix to acquire lots of titles? That would mean limited US cinema release if you are lucky and no Blu Ray/DVD release until Netflix rights expired.

Aunt Peg

#198 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed May 23, 2018 4:15 am

Omensetter wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:15 pm
Netflix picked up Girl and Lazzaro felice, which is commendable especially if you take into account that it took over a year for The Wonders to debut stateside and that it, uh, just opened in Russia. (Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they inked the deal thinking Rohrwacher would win the Palme, given the timing of their announcement.)
Netflix thankfully only acquired the North and South American rights to the Rohrwacher film. Thankfully, I'll get to see it on the big screen where she intended it to be seen and buy a Blu Ray or DVD (depending what is actually released) to place next to Rahrwacher's earlier works. Something I wouldn't be able to do had Netflix been able to purchase the world wide rights.

JamesF

#199 Post by JamesF » Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am

Excuse the gratuitous self-promotion - Thunderbird Releasing have snagged UK rights to Shoplifters and Burning, as well as Christopher Honorore's Sorry Angel.

nitin

#200 Post by nitin » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am

Very glad to hear that!!