Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

#51 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm

I was curious what these major spoilers were and in the process learned I truly have no idea what’s going on in this series, as they barely made coherent sense and definitely didn’t strike me as actual “major spoilers” ie zero intel about any character dying— they mostly revolved around the new hairstyles of the various supermen

Glowingwabbit

#52 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm also disappointed. I usually read the synopsis to these films on wiki long before *possibly* seeing them on dvd but these spoilers don't really spoil anything.

knives

#53 Post by knives » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Eh, the fanatics just want to be virgins in more way than one. A photograph counts as a spoiler to them.

Kirkinson

#54 Post by Kirkinson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm

I don't know, I looked up some descriptions of the leaked footage and it seemed to get into some pretty major plot developments. I kind of agree that they're mostly not really spoilers inasmuch as they are extremely predictable* (and/or recreate events from the comics), but I can see how a lot of people who are expecting or hoping for these moments want to wait until they are watching the movie in a theater to have their expectations confirmed.

*EDIT: Case in point, I just scrolled back to the beginning of this thread and it's hilarious how pretty much every "spoiler" from the leaked footage is casually predicted by members here who aren't even following the series.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#55 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 am

SpoilerShow
Well, how in the world can any savvy moviegoer not immediately connect the dots once they see how Infinity War ends, knowing that all the dead characters have movies and TV shows in the works? Hell, Disney just announced this week that five of the dead characters would get their own streaming shows. I think it says something about how well, admittedly, that they've marketed this pair of movies that anyone, for one second, believed/believes that they would just kill off all of these franchise characters, and that there's an insane demand to see Endgame despite its ending basically being preordained and everyone knowing this. That being said, I'm certain that a lot of people are going to see this movie specifically because they care about the original Avengers, some of whom are done with the overarching series, and they know that one of them is probably going to die for real to solve this film. Not that I've seen all of these movies (I think I've seen a bit less than half of them, most of which I watched when I was a lot younger), but I know I'm done with this series after this one.

For my money, Chris Evans irreversibly dies, RDJ goes into retirement in "isolation" so they can pull him back for cameos whenever he feels like making more money, and the rest survive and make solo movies/shows.

Of course, it's funny to me that Disney can release this three-hour-long status quo button of a film not too far after The Last Jedi (a mildly iconoclastic movie, and one that is definitely about letting the past go/die).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#56 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:47 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm
I was curious what these major spoilers were and in the process learned I truly have no idea what’s going on in this series, as they barely made coherent sense and definitely didn’t strike me as actual “major spoilers” ie zero intel about any character dying— they mostly revolved around the new hairstyles of the various supermen
I've seen multiple articles whose new info basically was "they changed Black Widow's boots, and here is why this reveals a major clue" (which, of course, it never did).
But indeed, I don't suppose many would be surprised to learn that most of the "dead" people will most certainly come back, not only because that's just how the MCU works, but also because that's how Marvel always ever worked !
knives wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm
Eh, the fanatics just want to be virgins in more way than one. A photograph counts as a spoiler to them.
But on the other hand, many seem to spend a non-negligible amount of their free time roaming the internet searching for new spoiler-y info.
Never Cursed wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 am
SpoilerShow
For my money, Chris Evans irreversibly dies, RDJ goes into retirement in "isolation" so they can pull him back for cameos whenever he feels like making more money, and the rest survive and make solo movies/shows.
SpoilerShow
Pretty much my guess too, except that Chris Evans might die, but Captain America will be with a new incarnation - maybe Bucky, maybe someone else.

tarpilot

#57 Post by tarpilot » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm

This very silly article extends the arguments above to actual plot points (including, uhm, those of the story of your life)
wrote:Perhaps fear of spoilers, like many fears, is predicated on a heavy dose of irrationality: I don’t want to know how it ends, on the off chance that it’ll end up badly. Research from 2017 found that people wouldn’t want to know their own future, regardless of whether that future was filled with sadness or joy. The study found that out of more than 2,000 German and Spanish adults, only 1% consistently wanted to know their own futures. These statistics applied even to smaller events, like the outcomes of soccer matches or what they’d be receiving for Christmas.

I’m not one of these people. It’s probably that I’m so driven by anxiety that if I know how something will turn out, I can breathe and focus on what’s happening now. Knowing that Quentin was going to die let me focus on how the show built up to that event. It made room for paying attention to how characters reacted and deciphering the logic behind their choices. Far from spoiling my experience, the spoiler let me enjoy the show more.
The product of a therapeutic (and wonder-averse) society gone completely bananas

Never Cursed

#58 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:45 pm

This has screened in China (where it's already made 107 million dollars), leaked here, and the Wikipedia page now has a proper plot summary.
SpoilerShow
Mild chuckle at this, not The Old Man And The Gun, ultimately being Robert Redford's last film performance. For better or for worse, this one really does have everyone (as in they brought back Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Michael Douglas, Tilda Swinton, and Anthony Hopkins, just to name a few) in it somehow.

JamesF

#59 Post by JamesF » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 am

Never Cursed wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:45 pm
This has screened in China (where it's already made 107 million dollars), leaked here, and the Wikipedia page now has a proper plot summary.
SpoilerShow
Mild chuckle at this, not The Old Man And The Gun, ultimately being Robert Redford's last film performance. For better or for worse, this one really does have everyone (as in they brought back Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Michael Douglas, Tilda Swinton, and Anthony Hopkins, just to name a few) in it somehow.
I saw it at a midnight screening here in the UK a few hours ago and
SpoilerShow
Hopkins and Blanchett aren’t in it (which has now been corrected in the Wikipedia entry), but literally everyone else is. Was especially tickled to see James D’Arcy from Agent Carter!

Midway through the film becomes a stealth Back To The Future Part II remake which might be the most fun section of the film. I thought it was a fine ending to many of the series’ threads, and appreciated the slightly slower pace enabled by the longer runtime (Infinity War just seems in a big hurry to race to the end).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#60 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:01 am

I suppose those who liked Infinity War will probably like this one too, but what a tepid slog of a silly conclusion.

Starting with an opening that would have been way more at place at the end of IW, the movie goes on from there for two extremely long hours to try and build an emotion it's absolutely incapable to generate. Too stiff and laughable simultaneously, it's riddled with poorly timed jokes that ruin any drama (including the biggest ones) and most characters that are way too numerous to get enough attention and thickness and that, when they do, often underwhelm by being ridiculed or stuck in replaying past movies. It's unfortunate because the movie clearly aims for Character Drama, but is failing to do so, but because of that, we're also not getting any thrilling action scenes either. I understand the closure they were aiming for. They just seemed not skilled enough to do so.

While Thanos was the one thing OK-ish in IW's writing, he's here downgraded to the usual bad guy riff, while the Avengers spends 2 hours AGAIN trying to undo what they spent 2 hours ALREADY trying to prevent in IW (and when there's an issue, just randomly get Captain Marvel back for a minute to unlock the situation). But I guess : why settling with 1 Box Office killer when you can get 2.

The main plot, combined with Captain Marvel's usage in here, seem mostly a practical way for unskilled writters to get out of all the dead ends they often get themselves into, but what is damning is that when the action FINALLY kick in (after about 2 hours), it's underwhelming too, remaking the supposedly-epic final battle from IW only to stumble upon the exact same problems. What could be an epic battle very quickly turns into a few characters being shown for mere seconds kicking a random faceless enemy until the next hero shows in the frame and do the same etc etc, then back on Thanos and the main character's fighting and we basically don't really see the big battle anymore. Fluctuating powers are also back in force here, to the point even a more casual viewer like me was able to point them out.

CGI are OK-ish this time though (despite a few incrustations that made me chuckle a bit, one towards the end of the movie making look RDJ in armor as a 200 pounds dwarf), but the Russos' direction and the movie's editing remain as bad as many of the MCU movies, stuck either on made-for-TV dialogues scenes and laughably awful action sequences, which seemed on-par with Black Panther and Infinity War though.

Luke M

#61 Post by Luke M » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:57 pm

I liked Infinity War and thought this was more bad than good. It was simply lackluster. Whether a scene was supposed to be funny or thrilling or emotional, it always missed the mark. Additionally, there are a few glaring plot/character problems that I can't forgive. Definitely disappointing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#62 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm

I kinda liked the first one too because of the downer ending and
SpoilerShow
the somewhat clever conceit of having Dr. Strange willingly give up the last stone and sacrifice himself because it's presumably part of the one in a million ways they win in the end
but three hours of bringing everything back to normal again does not sound that appealing to me

Glowingwabbit

#63 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:20 pm

I mean that's basically what happens in the comic and most of Marvel's event stories so the film taking that route should not be a surprise. At least in the book Thanos is given a more interesting arc in the second half.

bearcuborg

#64 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:38 pm

I remember some silly gripe on this forum about bringing back Superman....

Comic books have done that since the 70s/80s.

Luke M

#65 Post by Luke M » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Going to post some questions in spoilers with the hopes someone can shed some light on some issues:
SpoilerShow
Ok, here we go. First and foremost, how did Tony Stark get the stones from the glove at the end? Did he use some magnetic/vacuum tech that we were supposed to remember? Everything in the movie led up to that moment and I'm not able to enjoy it cause I'm confused as hell.

Next, Peter Parker goes back to high school 5 years later, ok fine, but his best friend is there? Shouldn't he have graduated by now?

Lastly, soul stone requires a sacrifice from someone you love the most, so for Hawkeye, it's Black Widow and not his wife or children?

Ok, done.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#66 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:34 pm

SpoilerShow
I don't understand Tony stealing the stones from Thanos without at least having a power surge like the Hulk did. It's puzzling and silly, plus Thanos has all 6 stones at that time and should be way more conscious and powerful and omnipotent than this.

I didn't understand about Peter's friend. Maybe he disappeared too ? But then, why was he seemingly missing Peter ?

It's part of Barton and Romanoff being awfully written, and supposedly quite in love but yet, Barton is shown loving his wife too. I guess he's just almost bigamous. I however think you need to sacrifice someone you love a lot, not particularly THE most. The question would rather be IMO whether Barton sacrifices Romanoff or if she actually sacrifices herself - which wouldn't make it work.

Kracker

#67 Post by Kracker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Well i can definitely fully answer the last one at least
SpoilerShow
- It was obviously part of Tony's backup plan/last resort to hold or use the stones himself if they become compromised. Similar to him going behind everyone's back in Age of Ultron. He probably figured out how attract the stones while developing the tech to hold them, since the stones are held in the gauntlet by some kind of magnetism, and allowed his suit gauntlet priority over the wearable gauntlet should something happen.

- This bugged the hell out of me too. Scene felt like a flashback. Maybe it will be explained in Far From Home since its the last movie in Phase 3? *probably not pfffft*
Would complain about it more, but i like this new Spiderman

- Hawkeye's wife and kids had already been dead for five years, taken by Thanos. At this point, all he has left is Black Widow, therefore the one he loves the most.

I should have seen it coming that Black Widow was going to bite it when they were assigned to grab the Soul Stone. Obviously only one was coming back. Hawkeye has family to potentially save and get back to while Black Widow doesn't.

It also did bug me at first, that they were trying to sacrifice themselves which, from what i understood, is not how it works. But then Hawkeye was given the choice to hang on to or let go of Black Widow, fulfilling the obligation.
Last edited by Kracker on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#68 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:18 pm

From reading spoilers it appears at least one of the stars of an announced future film died “for real” in this— does this mean that film will be a prequel? Or is this going to be like every comic book movie and no one cares about causality and they get revived by a Magic amulet or something? Also there are somehow already like a dozen outraged thinkpieces about this character’s death, with what happens spoiled right in the article title. I thought fans were being silly about spoiler fears but jeez, that’s ridiculously shitty of so many editors to not find a way to talk around it in the title itself for a movie that hasn’t even been playing for 24 hours yet

Kracker

#69 Post by Kracker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:18 pm
From reading spoilers it appears at least one of the stars of an announced future film died “for real” in this— does this mean that film will be a prequel? Or is this going to be like every comic book movie and no one cares about causality and they get revived by a Magic amulet or something?
SpoilerShow
If you are referring to Black Widow, her feature film will likely be a prequel since her origins were never really tackled. After that, I don't see ScarJo returning to the character after playing her for 10 years. There are other non-Thanos-snap characters that come back via cause and effect (meaning they aren't just magically revived)
Last edited by Kracker on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearcuborg

#70 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm

The character will probably get a prequel, based on what I’ve read. At least I assume we’re talking about the same one-I’ve only seen 3 of these things, and will probably only catch this particular movie on cable.

A football player for The Bills posted a spoiler on his twitter account this morning-so I would hope most of the diehard fans went into media blackout prior to their first screening. But yeah, I’ve read one of those think pieces, and I was amazed to see that death revealed so soon. I’ll be off the grid prior to Episode 9 of Star Wars for sure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#71 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Kracker: That is the character I’m referring to, yes

Never Cursed

#72 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:32 pm

SpoilerShow
Yeah, her film is going to be a prequel involving a recast; I'm almost certain that she's staying dead. I think she's in the same boat as Downey Jr and Evans, in that she's very much done with these movies and wasn't signing a new contract for them one way or the other. Downey and Evans have said as much about their involvement with the franchise.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#73 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Kracker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:53 pm
SpoilerShow
- It was obviously part of Tony's backup plan/last resort to hold or use the stones himself if they become compromised. Similar to him going behind everyone's back in Age of Ultron. He probably figured out how attract the stones while developing the tech to hold them, since the stones are held in the gauntlet by some kind of magnetism, and allowed his suit gauntlet priority over the wearable gauntlet should something happen.
Seems like a big plothole left to viewers to fill.

As for the "major" character who dies, I've read that indeed, the dedicated movie is expected to explore the character's past.
SpoilerShow
Quote from Feige from Wiki : "after exploring Black Widow's past in Age of Ultron, he would like to see it explored further in a solo film."

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#74 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:54 pm

I took the 10 year old I mentor to see this tonight. I haven't seen any comic book movies since the Batman films. I am glad to report that all of my assumptions about this terrible film and films like it proved true. I felt basically nothing throughout the film, and there's really no stakes or suspense to speak of. There is a lot of fan service. Robert Downey Jr and Mark Ruffalo are very charming and enjoyable to watch almost always, so that was nice. But there were at least three actors I think are named Chris and I could hardly tell them apart.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#75 Post by tenia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 am

Ruffalo is charming, but the Hulk is really the butt of the joke all throughout the movie.