David Wain & Other Alums of The State

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: David Wain

#76 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:54 pm

I have tears already

Murdoch

#77 Post by Murdoch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

I have high hopes with Showalter co-writing-- this sounds like it's firmly in the vein of his masterpiece the Baxter

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 pm

First clip from the movie gives a good peak at its tone-- and we see some trademark Showalter with "That is toooo funny"

roujin

Re: David Wain & Other Alums of The State

#82 Post by roujin » Fri May 30, 2014 10:16 am

Absurdly excited for that.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#83 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am

I know Domino doesn't care much for The Baxter, so hopefully this one will be more to his liking

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#84 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:43 am

I am happy to report that They Came Together is incredibly funny, Wain's best since Wet Hot American Summer. It lacks some of the more State-ish absurdity of Wanderlust in exchange for more straight-up parody, but succeeds with a very high percentage of the gags it attempts. I don't know if Paul Rudd in particular has ever been better.

roujin

#85 Post by roujin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 am

domino harvey wrote:I have high hopes with Showalter co-writing-- this sounds like it's firmly in the vein of his masterpiece the Baxter
Sort of. It mines the 90's romantic comedy mini-genre, but doesn't really do all that much with it (as opposed to how Showalter found truth and insight in those tropes, while still playing with them in Baxter).

The film is at its best when it pushes its characters toward weird, weird extremes. In other words, it could've used less "I never met anyone who likes fiction books," and more weird Grandmother related shenanigans.

manicsounds

#86 Post by manicsounds » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 am

DVDCompare review of the Lionsgate Blu-ray or "They Came Together"
Lionsgate is pretty generous with this title's special features.
The usual commentary, deleted scenes, featurette is included, but a table read that is longer than the actual film? Wow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#87 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 pm

They Came Together is one of the biggest disappointments in recent memory, a total disaster of unfunny jokes about romantic comedy cliches which is itself already a tired cliche. This is one of the biggest, "Yes, we all get it" wastes of time I've ever witnessed. The Stella troupe's greatest strength has long been making smart stupid comedy, but here they've done what they are least-equipped for: they pander to the audience with easy lobs and overly underlined gags that never rise above shoulder-shoving recognition trope-a-thons. The best Stella routines and moments (in their series, live show, or solo film work) are always alienating, but there's no conceivable way anyone watching wouldn't "get" the jokes here, because they're lowest common denominator garbage. There are so many talented and funny people involved and yet the film is stridently unfunny on the whole, though there's enough errant chuckles throughout to perhaps pad out a minor webisode of Wainy Days. This is Wain's worst film by far and a great counterexample to what makes the Baxter so effective. As Isaac Jaffe once said, the difference is all the difference. Again, what a colossal waste of time, energy, and talent.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#92 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:17 pm

Wet Hot American Summer coming to Blu-ray in May with a couple new bonus features:
• 10th Anniversary Event Highlights
• Wet Hot American Summer: Live at SF Sketchfest

• Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Director/Co-Writer David Wain
• Cast Comments
• Behind the Scenes
• Songs With Production Stills
• Theatrical Trailer
• Feature Commentary With Director/Co-Writer David Wain, Co-Writer Michael Showalter, and Actress Janeane Garofalo
• Soundtrack With Extra Farts

PfR73

#94 Post by PfR73 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Saw Hello, My Name Is Doris at SXSW yesterday. So far, it's my favorite film of the festival. It's a much more "normal" film than I expected from Showalter, but it's very funny & surprisingly emotional. Sally Field is great in it.

bearcuborg

#97 Post by bearcuborg » Fri May 22, 2015 3:15 pm

I'm excited to see this. Then again, I was excited to see the 10, which sucked pretty bad.

PfR73

#98 Post by PfR73 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 am

bearcuborg wrote:The 10, which sucked pretty bad.
Wait, is this a goof?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#99 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:31 am

I loved The Ten, so I'm not sure if it's the general consensus that it sucked pretty bad. Also, with 10 segments, are there really people who professed to adore all 10 segments or hate all 10 segments?

bearcuborg

#100 Post by bearcuborg » Wed May 27, 2015 11:05 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I loved The Ten, so I'm not sure if it's the general consensus that it sucked pretty bad. Also, with 10 segments, are there really people who professed to adore all 10 segments or hate all 10 segments?
I can't imagine many liked The 10, but from my perspective - I was blown away by how funny WHAS was, so perhaps my expectations were too high. For me, the only laugh I had was Jesus saying "vagina."

I have yet to see The Baxter, but I know that's highly thought off by someone here. I only sort of remember State skits, but The 10 isn't enough to scare me away.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.