The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Finch

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#26 Post by Finch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the heads-up re Dressed to Kill - ordered my copy right away.

If anyone wants to get Cronenberg's Dead Zone (another title increasingly hard to get, let alone for cheap) for a decent price, AxelMusic is the place to go (£10 including delivery, $10.73 before delivery):

Perkins Cobb

#27 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm just going to shoot myself now, after reading this and the Paramount thread.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#28 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:25 pm

MGM isn't too much of a surprise considering their financial troubles, and Fox probably can't be bothered with most of the titles I'm sure. But Paramount has gone crazy. I honestly can't believe they think streaming is the way to go now. Other than a handful of Netflix subscribers I don't know anyone that stream movies. Also find it odd that they would decide to licence stuff out instead to Lionsgate. Of course Paramount has always been questionable with home viewing, first ignoring DVD and going with DivX their move to HD DVD exclusivity (even I, who owned an HD DVD player before a Blu-ray player, questioned that.)

Murdoch

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#29 Post by Murdoch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:12 pm

The individual release of Kazan's Baby Doll is OOP, but the Tennessee Williams box (which contains that dvd) is still available.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#30 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Murdoch wrote:The individual release of Kazan's Baby Doll is OOP, but the Tennessee Williams box (which contains that dvd) is still available.
I think you meant to post this in the catchall OOP thread, but it's worth noting that Warner Bros has discontinued A LOT of single titles while keeping the boxes in which they appear in-print. But Baby Doll belongs to a production company that's flirting with Criterion, I believe, so cross fingers

MoonlitKnight

#31 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Boy am I glad I finally caught up with all my pre-21st century wish list purchases on DVD last year. \:D/ Jeez, you'd think with how long VHS lasted, DVD would at least have had a somewhat longer lifespan. :-k

Numero Trois

#32 Post by Numero Trois » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 pm

MoonlitKnight wrote: Jeez, you'd think with how long VHS lasted, DVD would at least have had a somewhat longer lifespan. :-k
It's two very different situations. There's far more choice than ever. In the VHS era, video cassettes were often very expensive. Finding a quality movie for 6.99 was impossible. Blockbuster video was just about the only game in town. There were a few Netflix type mail rental companies for art films, but that's about it. And of course torrents didn't exist.

One would hope that at the very least legal downloads would become as common as streaming in the near future.

HistoryProf

#33 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:40 am

domino harvey wrote:Newly OOP from MGM:

Come and Get It (Hawks/Wyler)
damn..that's another great one gone! at least I actually have this one. but geez...this is ridiculous.

HistoryProf

#34 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 am

the Garden of Allah (Deitrch/Boyer) is only $4.99 at B&N.com....just snagged that as a member w/ the free shipping. not a bad get for $5.29 shipped. Deitrich is always good fun, and at least I can rest knowing I got SOMETHING out of this growing list of OOPs.

ianungstad

#35 Post by ianungstad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 am

I think most retailers still have it available but Arthur Penn's The Miracle Worker was officially discontinued about a month back. It's an excellent film, IMO.

dwk

#36 Post by dwk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 am

Animeigo has lost the rights to Demon Spies, Shadow Hunters, and Shadow Hunters II

colinr0380

#37 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:36 pm

zedz wrote:Thanks for what's sure to be a very useful thread (put me down for A Song Is Born already) - though I can't believe you resisted the temptation to title it simply "OOPs!", which would also be appropriate to the way several of the majors have been handling their catalogue recently.
Sadly, every time I visit this page I can't help myself from calling it the "Oops-up-side-your-head-thread"!

Feego

#38 Post by Feego » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:24 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
zedz wrote:Thanks for what's sure to be a very useful thread (put me down for A Song Is Born already) - though I can't believe you resisted the temptation to title it simply "OOPs!", which would also be appropriate to the way several of the majors have been handling their catalogue recently.
Sadly, every time I visit this page I can't help myself from calling it the "Oops-up-side-your-head-thread"!
In keeping with the Paramount thread, I think this one should have been called "Pretty much every DVD is OOP."

anvilscepe

#39 Post by anvilscepe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:54 pm

colinr0380 wrote:"Oops-up..."!
Snap!? It's a great song. Really is. \:D/
Last edited by anvilscepe on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HistoryProf

#40 Post by HistoryProf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 am

somebody say oopala?

HistoryProf

#41 Post by HistoryProf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 am

FYI: "I'm as hard as Chinese Math" was one of my favorite "in" jokes with my friends in High school thanks to Snap! ;)

Duncan Hopper

#42 Post by Duncan Hopper » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:42 am

HistoryProf wrote:FYI: "I'm as hard as Chinese Math" was one of my favorite "in" jokes with my friends in High school thanks to Snap! ;)
Tom Waits said it best in 'Pasties and a G-String': "I'm gettin' harder than Chinese algebra".

anvilscepe

#43 Post by anvilscepe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:02 pm

HistoryProf wrote:somebody say oopala?
Prof, did the singer really say "What's in the bowl bitch? Yeah, Yeah Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, What's in the bowl bitch"?

zedz

#44 Post by zedz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Duncan Hopper wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:FYI: "I'm as hard as Chinese Math" was one of my favorite "in" jokes with my friends in High school thanks to Snap! ;)
Tom Waits said it best in 'Pasties and a G-String': "I'm gettin' harder than Chinese algebra".
Going for the hat trick: "Heart as hard Chinese arithmetic" - 'Wordz of Wizdom', 3rd Bass (Good lord, it's a long time since that song's sprung to mind!)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 pm

the Princess Bride Blu-ray

Zumpano

#46 Post by Zumpano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Van Sant's "Psycho".

(Zedz, would you say that Paramount gets the "gasface"?)

HistoryProf

#47 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 pm

anvilscepe wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:somebody say oopala?
Prof, did the singer really say "What's in the bowl bitch? Yeah, Yeah Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, What's in the bowl bitch"?
as far as I can tell.....always thought that was hilarious as well.

MyNameCriterionForum

#48 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:32 am

Is Race With the Devil OOP? Just got shuffled to the "save" section of my Netflix queue with no warning (fuckers) and amazon is out...

fdm

#49 Post by fdm » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 am

Noticed that the separately avaiable The Paradine Case seems to be out of print. The other two that were released separatedly from the "Premiere Collection" are still available though (those being The Lodger and Young And Innocent).

HistoryProf

#50 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:59 am

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:Is Race With the Devil OOP? Just got shuffled to the "save" section of my Netflix queue with no warning (fuckers) and amazon is out...
I would guess so, considering the prices it's commanding ($50 for this? Really?)...it's a silly little movie, but hardly worth those prices. And it's on one of the movie networks pretty regularly.