Old School Nick

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Re: TV on DVD

#1 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Rocko's Modern Life getting a release from Shout! Factory.

knives

#2 Post by knives » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 pm

My childhood is near completion. Just need to convince Paramount to release season three of The Adventures of Pete and Pete.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:20 pm

knives wrote:My childhood is near completion. Just need to convince Paramount to release season three of The Adventures of Pete and Pete.
This.

Dirk

#4 Post by Dirk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm pretty psyched for Rocko's Modern Life, but I'm trying to not get too excited until we get confirmation on whether the episodes will be uncut. There were apparently some issues with this regarding the previous MOD release.

And there may be hope for Pete and Pete -- Shout! Factory negotiated a multi-title deal with Nickelodeon and so far The Wild Thornberrys and Rocko's Modern Life have been the only titles revealed so far. I personally have my fingers crossed for the rest of Clarissa Explains It All. I love Melissa Joan Hart. (Please don't judge me.)

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:49 pm

If Shout Factory is releasing Nickelodeon titles, I would happily purchase the complete Mr. Wizard's World and Standby: Lights, Camera, Action (which is likely what fostered my earliest interest in movies). I imagine You Can't Do That on Television has to be at the top of their list.

Alphonse Doinel

#6 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 pm

This is amazing. It's really too bad stuff like this couldn't be released with commercials because they were such a huge part of kids television in the 80's/90's.

Am I the only one here that wants guts, complete with a piece of the Aggro Crag? Actually, I preferred Legends of the Hidden Temple.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 am

So does that mean you don't want Guts?

Alphonse Doinel

#8 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Give me both. Don't know if either would actually be watchable now (at least after the nostalgia wore off), but some small part of me wants them. I imagine Legends is a little easier to stomach though. It always had a bit more going on.

Murdoch

#9 Post by Murdoch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Both aired on some subsidiary network that played Nick's old shows, and they play just as well as they did 15-20 years ago. Can't say I would buy them though except to scream at the kids who can't put together the Silver Monkey.

Joshuadel

#10 Post by Joshuadel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Murdoch wrote:Both aired on some subsidiary network that played Nick's old shows, and they play just as well as they did 15-20 years ago. Can't say I would buy them though except to scream at the kids who can't put together the Silver Monkey.
I can't watch an episode of Legends of the Hidden Temple without thinking of this write-up.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Old School Nick

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:27 pm

I truly love your avatar, sir.

Also: Those game shows were played on Nick GaS (horrible name), their "games and sports" network that was commercial-free aside from some prerecorded content that ran ad-nauseum for years without being updated. The network is now defunct, which really saddens stoned, late-night-college-gathering-with-friends me.

Dirk

#12 Post by Dirk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm

In the press release for Shout!'s Season 1 release of The Wild Thornberrys, they list some other titles that were sub-licensed in their deal with Nickelodeon: Hey Arnold, Danny Phantom, Aaaah! Real Monsters, and the aforementioned Rocko's Modern Life. So far, it's all animation. Also of note, Shout! has Blu-ray rights to these shows as well, but has yet to announce any BR release.

knives

#13 Post by knives » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Hell yeah of Hey Arnold and Aaaah! Real Monster. I know that the former holds up and hope the later does too. Shout! Factory is too great sometimes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 pm

No love for Doug?

knives

#15 Post by knives » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Doug is god awful and as bland as it's love interest's name.

matrixschmatrix

#16 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Impossible! No children's show that featured a music video quoting Stop Making Sense could be entirely bland.

I wonder if you only saw the execrable Disney version?

knives

#17 Post by knives » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 pm

I saw both versions and both are equally terrible if in entirely unique ways.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Doug was much better than the ADD Nicktoons being touted by Shout. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree the real buried treasure here are the live action Nick programs-- I mean, Jesus, you can't even find a full episode of Welcome Freshmen on Youtube, this is a national crisis!
Last edited by domino harvey on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murdoch

#19 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 pm

I remember hating Doug when it aired, but I've warmed to it recently. Although the only Nick show I'd revisit is Rocko, probably Pete and Pete, too. Never understood the appeal of Hey Arnold though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

The N used to run a block of Clarissa Explains It All and Pete and Pete when I was in college and man that was def required viewing every night. Hey Dude doesn't seem to hold up, but Salute Your Shorts does well enough. Roundhouse is pretty amazing and would fit right in with the ADD culture of today (although it probably plays too smart to be of any value to today's youth). Are You Afraid of the Dark? is hit or miss, like any anthology series. Yes, you lured me into a discussion on nostalgia topics

Murdoch

#21 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey Dude's corny theme song irritated me to no end as a kid, yet I love it now, but the show is still as bad as back in the day. Are You Afraid of the Dark? was the scariest thing I could tolerate as a kid, it never failed to give me nightmares, especially the Jester who caused people to laugh and vomit some type of goo. And oh how I loved Salute Your Shorts, no summer camp ever lived up to my expectations after that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:04 pm

The Super Specs episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark is legitimately disturbing. Best thing about Hey Dude is Ben Stiller's wife (I will pretend I don't remember every single character's name)

Murdoch

#23 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Oh man, Super Specs made me afraid of wearing any type of glasses for a month, so creepy!

knives

#24 Post by knives » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

domino harvey wrote: Best thing about Hey Dude is Ben Stiller's wife (I will pretend I don't remember every single character's name)
I don't even remember Hey Dude though it's sad that Salute Your Shorts probably doesn't hold up. Even if it were Goosebumps horrible I'd pick up an Are You Afraid of the Dark boxset. The episode at the Hog's Head diner gave me nightmares for months. The scariest thing about the show though had to have been the opening. I still remember that little girl laughing.[/shivers]

flyonthewall2983

#25 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:22 pm

The guy who played Benjamin Ernst on Hey Dude is in one of the films in the Criterion Collection.