RUSCICO (Russian Cinema Council)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
antnield

Re: RUSCICO (Russian Cinema Council)

#201 Post by antnield » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:34 am

The four non-Eisenstein 'Hyperkino' discs reviewed by the Digital Fix:

By the Bluest of Seas
Engineer Prite's Project
The Great Consoler
Happiness

SamLowry

#202 Post by SamLowry » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Ruscico edition of Sokurov's Father and Son? The Artificial Eye boasts 1:78 anamorphic but is 82 minutes. Apparently the Ruscico is 97 minutes but is 1:33. I imagine the Wellspring is inferior to both & now (along with the Ruscico) is out of print. I don't want to put down a lot to try to get it if it is a cropped image or VHS conversion & the extra time is really just a short or previews or the original unedited Russian version of the film. I'm not sure that this will get a blu ray upgrade from someone any time soon, so I want to finally get a hold of it before it's completely unavailable.

L.A.

#203 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm

antnield

#204 Post by antnield » Sat May 05, 2012 6:57 am

MovieMail now distributing four more titles in the UK - the four mentioned in the post above, in fact.

TMDaines

#205 Post by TMDaines » Sat May 05, 2012 7:24 am

Might be worth holding off on The Girl with a Hatbox[ii] as Edition Filmmuseum are pairing it with another Barnet title. It'll retail for about the same price and will surely have some new extras or scores - although not the Hyperkino mode.

Tommaso

#206 Post by Tommaso » Sat May 05, 2012 10:15 am

If the preliminary cover design on the Filmmuseum site is true, it will even be a three film set: "The House on Trubnaya", "The Girl with the Hat box" and "By the bluest of seas". However, the waiting almost feels as long as for the Asta Nielsen "Hamlet" already...

TMDaines

#207 Post by TMDaines » Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 am

Indeed, but good things come to those who wait.

I just wish the Edition Filmmuseum single disk titles were cheaper. If you're patient you can get the two diskers for around €22, provided you strike at the right time, which is a pretty sweet deal on some of their packages with multiple films considering the rarity of the films and their restoration efforts. It's hard to get the single diskers for less than €17 though, which is pretty expensive for just a single film and score. It's true that for the most part no-one else is going to release them though.

Tommaso

#208 Post by Tommaso » Sat May 05, 2012 10:48 am

Don't forget that apart from some early releases even the one-diskers usually come with a highly informative booklet and occasionally some other goodies. Not to speak of the outstanding transfer quality. If there's one company from whom I gladly accept slightly higher prices than usual, it's Filmmuseum. The Ruscico Hyperkino sets are technically 2 discs, but after all are also only one film with score. And they cost more.

TMDaines

#209 Post by TMDaines » Sat May 05, 2012 11:47 am

Yeh, I agree for the most part. They are pretty much my high water mark too in terms of price point, as their releases are arguably better than anyone elses, especially when you consider the fact that most of these titles would have never had a release were it not for EF or it's a release that far surpasses any that have come before (with perhaps only two or three exceptions).

MichaelB

#210 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 06, 2012 5:50 am

I think that EF's prices are perfectly realistic given all the effort they demonstrably put in.

The problem is that since the DVD market plunged through the floor, a great many other prices have become wholly unrealistic - which is great news for the consumer, but less so for niche labels. (I'm still amazed that Second Run manages to maintain such a low RRP price point and still remain in business, though I now know first hand that this is because they control costs with a ruthlessness that George Osborne can only envy).

TMDaines

#211 Post by TMDaines » Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 am

It did appear that EF were going to have regular sales of sets of titles on their site but that seems to have stopped after the Goetz and Kluge set sales. Grooves Inc only sparsely stocks them too. Regardless, I finally caught up with many of my most wanted from their back catalogue from Amazon.es the other day.

Lifeforce

#212 Post by Lifeforce » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Has anyone here heard of plans for the original Viy Spirit of Evil to receive a remaster/blu ray release?

Tomawoongaz2

#213 Post by Tomawoongaz2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I ordered and paid for a DVDs from Ruscico over a month ago and they have not yet arrived. I have not had any response from Emails to them asking for a delivery update. Can anyone advise me if this is a common situation with Ruscico?
Tom

Wilkes

#214 Post by Wilkes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey everyone - I'm looking for a film by Ruscico - Путь домой/Gza Shinisaken (1982) directed by Alexandr Rekhviashvili, a Georgian film. Can any one please tell me where I can find an NTSC copy of the DVD? Please Help!

randalstella

#215 Post by randalstella » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 am

I have tried buying one solitary DVD from RUSCICO. The second in the Gorky trilogy by Marc Donskoi; My Apprenticeship. At EURO$28 it was dearer than Amazon UK prices for the 2 other of the trilogy , but I had trawled for this disc everywhere, and only RUSCICO themselves seemed to have it. The transaction showed no extra postage. RUSCICO confirmed the purchase, made on 12th April 2013.
I have emailed several times, and had one reply, that they had sent the DVD, and were going to try to trace it.
That was about 3 weeks ago. It is now 3rd June 2013, 52 days since purchase. I have had no other word from them, after asking for another DVD to be sent.
I will never deal with them again. It is a pity, because of their peerless archive, and very fine transfers.
Buy their stuff from other suppliers; and if they do not have it, ask THEM to deal with RUSCICO. They might have more luck.

HKM

#216 Post by HKM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 am

henry001 wrote:There are two issues of October by Ruscico. It is obvious the one is Hyperkino edition and the other is without Hyperkino. I do not need the Hyperkino edition as long as DVD quality and the rest of the movie itself is identical. But the former running time seems to be 115 minutes and the the latter is 103 minutes. The former was issued on 2010 but I do not have any knowledge as to when the latter was issued.

Does anyone know about the difference between two issues by Ruscico?
http://ruscico.com/catalog/dvdsearch/?s ... &sg_type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would also like to know, though can't tell from this post which is the fuller cut, the Hyperkino or the not-Hyperkino.

Kristin Thompson, reviewing the Hyperkino version, wrote that "The prints of Strike and October are both the familiar step-printed versions. The visual quality is reasonably good." So that's disappointing.

And from what I can tell, it has the Shostakovich score, which also suggests it is the same 'step-printed' version put out in the 1960s and subsequently on DVD.

(It would be even better to have the 2012 restored version with Meisel's score, of course.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#217 Post by swo17 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Where is the best place to order PAL versions of Ruscico DVDs? I'm thinking in particular of Kozintsev's Shakespeare films. I see that Ruscico's site lists original and "new" versions for each of them. Does anyone know anything about these new versions? From the specs, the only noticeable difference is that they come on DVD-9s. Both versions are priced at 40 Euros (gulp).

This site has much lower prices for PAL editions of the original versions, but not for the new versions.

Are there any other options?

L.A.

#218 Post by L.A. » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Have you tried Amazon.de? Sometimes you could find some nice deals.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#219 Post by swo17 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Well, checking now, one seller is offering the NTSC version, and the other seller doesn't specify whether or not they have the PAL. I actually have the NTSC versions already, but just recently read that the PAL versions are the way to go.

Tommaso

#220 Post by Tommaso » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Talking about Kozintsev's "King Lear", you might even consider to go for the Facets edition (no kiddin'). It's non-anamorphic, but otherwise does look quite good (not worse than the Mr.Bongo release from the screencaps, perhaps even better), and has a truly great 60 min. interview with stage director Peter Sellars about the film and Kozintsev's career which is probably worth the purchase alone. The man is so enthusiastic and heartfelt that I could listen to him for hours.

randalstella

#221 Post by randalstella » Sat May 16, 2015 5:31 am

For PAL version RUSCICO, try Petershop.com - a very reliable and economical German supplier of RUSCICO DVDs. Prompt and secure delivery as well.

L.A.

#222 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Kosmicheskiy reis (1936)

Something I was hoping that RUSCICO would release but most likely won't be happening. How about this DVD, how does it look like? Worth a purchase?

knives

#223 Post by knives » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 am

Ruscico and Flicker Alley both have different versions of The Childhood of Maxim Gorky streaming on Kanopy. The differ by about ten minutes, though I don't know how much they could possibly be excused by PAL speedup. They have different opening credits at the least. Wise people of the board is there a preferred one to choose from the two?

kompromiss

#224 Post by kompromiss » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 am

Don't know about Kanopy, but I have DVD from Ruscico.
Movie's duration is 95 min 35 sec in PAL (should be 99 min 40 sec in NTSC).
It's supposed to be original version, without subsequent alterations.

Here's the screenshot of the opening credits from the disc I have:

knives

#225 Post by knives » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am

Okay, that fits with what Kanopy is streaming. The Flicker Alley is over 100 minutes.