79 Muriel, ou le Temps d'un retour

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
j99

Re: 79 Muriel, ou le Temps d'un retour

#26 Post by j99 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 am

Any update on the blu?

RossyG

#27 Post by RossyG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 am

No.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 pm

MoC Twitter wrote:Which film – MURIEL? Not currently on the schedule, but not out of the realm of possibility. And yes, 1 of the greatest.
:-k

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Site still says "THE DVD EDITION OF THIS TITLE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE; AVAILABLE SOON AS A DUAL FORMAT (BLU-RAY + DVD) EDITION ONLY"

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#30 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Yes, as it's said for over a year now. Which is why I find yesterday's tweet from one of the three guys that run MoC perplexing.

evillights

#31 Post by evillights » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm

swo17 wrote:Yes, as it's said for over a year now. Which is why I find yesterday's tweet from one of the three guys that run MoC perplexing.
I'll update the page soon — there's a lot of (pre-)spring cleaning to be done there.

Don't be perplexed; we just changed immediate plans (the sometimes-problem with print is that things are subject to change), but it doesn't discount (or confirm) an eventual release.

Right now we literally have more new as-of-yet-unannounced properties than we've had at any one time in the past, so we're just trying to refine the exact order of the schedule over the next year, with some elasticity built in for a few not-yet-solidifed variables. A little tricky, but in a good/exciting way. Besides the May pushback of those two films, this is why we haven't yet made our next announcement, but it will be soon.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Can you speak as to whether Tabu is still slated for a dual format upgrade? (Or if not, will it at least come back in print?) In other words, do I need to give some random guy on the internet $100 to get a copy of it again, or can I wait and give you guys a more reasonable amount? :wink:

perkizitore

#33 Post by perkizitore » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 pm

I really hope that Tabu will be upgraded soon, because I foolishly sold my copy after the upgrade announcement!

EddieLarkin

#34 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Eureka Entertainment wrote:We’re sad to hear of the passing of Alain Resnais over the weekend. To celebrate his life 'Muriel ou le Temps d’n detour' is just £5.99 in the webstore
Followed up with:
Eureka Entertainment wrote:A blu-ray is possible, as the materials do exist, but it has not been scheduled and is unlikely to appear in the near future (if ever?)

feihong

#35 Post by feihong » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Aw, man. "Unlikely...if ever?" that is a real disappointment. This is such a special movie.

Cronenfly

#36 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 pm

In light of Resnais' passing, I think now would be an ideal time to Kickstart a Blu for this. If the materials exist, I'm guessing projected sales/lack thereof are the issue, so why not go the Kickstarter route and guarantee that baseline costs are covered? I would certainly be more than happy to contribute in this and many other cases (ditto Second Run and Man of Marble, etc).

hearthesilence

#37 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Have you seen the DVD? The picture doesn't look so hot, not because of the transferring process but because of the source material. Unless there are better film elements that are now available, I'm not sure this can look that good on Blu-Ray. I'd rather they get to work on one of his other great films, and he's got a bunch that aren't on home video in either the U.K. or the U.S.

feihong

#38 Post by feihong » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Are you talking about the MOC dvd of Muriel? The picture looked very fine to me. Though I would like to see a blu-ray of La Guerre est Finie just as much.

hearthesilence

#39 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:04 am

Yes, that one. The DVDs fine, but the film itself is the problem - the color and detail of the film stock just looks crummy to me. It really sunk in when I popped the disc in while another color movie (forgot which) was playing on TV.

peerpee
not perpee

#40 Post by peerpee » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 am

The 5 year old MoC DVD of MURIEL is not made from the new HD master.

Circa 2010, I convinced Argos to push for a new HD master because their lab had created a botched, squeezed master, which MoC 'unsqueezed' for the DVD. The lab argued the master was okay. I kept on at Argos and they eventually got Resnais in to look at it and he was horrified, which led to the new HD scan.

Wouldn't be surprised if Eureka let the licence slide, so a nice Resnais-approved HD master is sat waiting for New Wave, the BFI, or Criterion, should they be interested!

hearthesilence

#41 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:12 am

OH, I wish I had known that! I only knew part of the story re: the squeezed image, mainly through Glenn Kenny's assessment of the DVD, and he was under the false impression that Resnais had supervised the transfer himself. I hope the BFI and Criterion are aware of this!

Finch

#42 Post by Finch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Nick, since you are making the assumption that Eureka won't renew the licence, I take it Muriel hasn't sold well on DVD?

peerpee
not perpee

#43 Post by peerpee » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 pm

hearthesilence wrote:OH, I wish I had known that! I only knew part of the story re: the squeezed image, mainly through Glenn Kenny's assessment of the DVD, and he was under the false impression that Resnais had supervised the transfer himself. I hope the BFI and Criterion are aware of this!
Resnais may well have approved the initial SD telecine of the earlier scan, but this particular problem at the lab had occurred later on when someone had attempted to create an anamorphic 16:9 master tape. They'd just pressed the wrong button, probably unaware how a 1.66:1 image should appear in the 16:9 format (the correct answer, is of course: "as 1.66:1, with pillar boxing", not "cropped and stretched to fill 16:9").

Finch wrote:Nick, since you are making the assumption that Eureka won't renew the licence, I take it Muriel hasn't sold well on DVD?
I'm pretty certain it's not sold enough to warrant an upgrade or a re-licence, unless they get it thrown in with FANTASTIC PLANET for peanuts, just to keep it in print – but I doubt that. It's certainly sold worse than the Mizoguchis and they've let those slide.