Performance (Donald Cammell & Nicolas Roeg, 1970)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
_shadow_

Re: Performance (Cammell/Roeg, 1970)

#126 Post by _shadow_ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:24 pm

There's never been a problem with missing dialogue until the DVD release, where it was wiped out during "restoration", along with significant instrumentation in the music track. The DVD release at least offered the upgrade of the original audio for several characters, which hadn't been released in the US on home video or theatrical prints. I've not seen any comments if UK releases (theatrical or HV) had the original audio.

There have been edits to some home video releases. In the Video Watchdog book, Tim Lucas mentioned one of the VHS releases was missing the shot of Turner's back in the Joey Maddox sequence. But the letterboxed laserdisc was definitely the same edit seen on the DVD.

GaryC

#127 Post by GaryC » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:48 pm

_shadow_ wrote: I've not seen any comments if UK releases (theatrical or HV) had the original audio.
I've seen Performance twice in the cinema, once in the original BBFC-cut UK release print (in a double bill with The Man Who Fell to Earth in 1983) and the UK cinema reissue by the BFI in 2004. Also, its first two showings on Channel 4 TV and the Region 2 Warners DVD from 2006. To the best of my memory I've never heard anything other than the original audio for Johnny Shannon and Laraine Wickens.

There were two VHS releases (passed by the BBFC in 1988 and 1997) and I understand that one or both of them had the dubbed audio: I didn't see the film on either release. The 1988 VHS was a bit shorter than the 1997, as per the BBFC: 99:48 as opposed to 101:08, both with PAL speed-up.

Rsdio

#128 Post by Rsdio » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:12 pm

The 1997 VHS was definitely dubbed.. Didn't stop me nearly wearing the thing out though.

Robin Davies

#129 Post by Robin Davies » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:18 pm

The version shown on Channel 4 on 1st July 1983 was dubbed (i.e. "ketchup" and "car-hire garage").

GaryC

#130 Post by GaryC » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Robin Davies wrote:The version shown on Channel 4 on 1st July 1983 was dubbed (i.e. "ketchup" and "car-hire garage").
I don't remember that being the case, but I stand corrected. I do remember it being slightly edited and the next C4 showing (later at night) being (more?) complete- e.g. the flash-cuts to Chas's lovemaking with Dana while he's being flogged by Joey Maddocks - am I correct there? Given that the cinema print had cuts during that scene, I hadn't seen that footage before.

Actually, I did see another TV showing, more recently on BBC2, which slowed down some of the rapid cutting because of concerns about epileptic triggers.

_shadow_

Re: Performance (Donald Cammell & Nicolas Roeg, 1970)

#131 Post by _shadow_ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:50 pm

So... I'm guessing the chances of the audio errors being addressed in any meaningful way by WB are slim? Given the precedent of never correcting the DVD version with missing dialogue, I won't get my hopes up about them merely correcting the choice of a less desirable dub and an incredibly amateur "fix" to the missing audio problem.

captveg

#132 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 pm

I'd say they're slim, but still too early to dismiss the possibility. It can take time to research the discrepancy when it comes to alternate audio versions in the same language. The odd English audio on the original pressing of Frantic comes to mind.

DeprongMori

#133 Post by DeprongMori » Tue May 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Bad news on PERFORMANCE and the possibility of Warner Archives Collection fixing the dubbing problem. I had asked politely and matter-of-factly on their Facebook page on Sunday if there was any news regarding a fix for the problem. Went back today to see if there was a reply, and my post was gone. Posted a new inquiry around 11:30am today, again politely. And within about fifteen minutes the post was gone.

They seem to be scrubbing all mention of this problem. Not a promising sign.

MichaelB

#134 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 am

My review in the next Sight & Sound highlights the problem. Unless of course they nobble the editor beforehand.

Graham

#135 Post by Graham » Thu May 22, 2014 1:54 pm

I guess we have to hope for a future UK blu-ray and that it will contain the correct audio.

dwk

#136 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:11 pm

According to this post at the Blu-ray.com forum, the HMV exclusive Premium Collection Blu-ray of Performance has the correct audio.

DeprongMori

#137 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:42 pm

It's at least been confirmed that the dialogue problems of the Warners has been fixed (i.e., original dialogue restored as well as Cockney accents) but no details on the others (quality of "Here's to old England" re-insertion, and various musical and sound effects changes.)

Unfortunately, delivery only to the UK, per the description. Hoping it eventually makes it to this side of the pond.

MichaelB

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#138 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm very happy to confirm first hand (I've just finished watching it) that the new UK BD of Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg's Performance...

(a) appears to contain the complete and unexpurgated original British soundtrack (i.e. with "claret" instead of "ketchup", Johnny Shannon's undubbed performance and Mick Jagger clearly saying "Here's to Old England";
(b) is definitely region-free, as the last thing I played was a Criterion Region A-locked disc and I didn't switch my player over.

So an eleven-year wrong has finally been righted.

hearthesilence

#139 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Excellent! It's even part of a 2 for 25 sale too, probably the best deal you're going to get if it's an HMV exclusive.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#140 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

UK delivery only though?

hearthesilence

#141 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Damn. That blows.

tojoed

#142 Post by tojoed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 am

If anyone in the US wants one, PM me and I'll arrange to buy it and send it on.

tojoed

#143 Post by tojoed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am

I've ordered 4 copies and had 3 member responses so far. So one left for the moment.
Just to let those members know, HMV will send them to me second class, so I should have them in sometime next week.

tojoed

#144 Post by tojoed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am

Sorry to repeat post. The 4 copies I have coming are now gone.
If I manage to get some more I'll let anyone interested know.

Dr Amicus

#145 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 pm

There's some at my local Bricks & Mortar HMV for the same price - last time I sent a Blu Ray to the US, post was around £5 so I can offer the same service if wanted. PM me if interested (there seemed to be several copies).

_shadow_

#146 Post by _shadow_ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:11 am

MichaelB, can you confirm if the "here's to old England" line sounds properly integrated in the mix on the UK BD, i.e., as it always did in other releases before it was summarily deleted on the Warner DVD? The insertion of the line on the Warner Archive BD sounds like they just cut in a clip recorded on a Walkman. Also, the "remastering" of "Memo from Turner" eliminated some electric guitar riffs, especially noticeable in the cut to Dennis playing air drums close after Turner's line, as it punctuated his movement, so I wonder if that might have been restored.

Adrian Jones

#147 Post by Adrian Jones » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:35 pm

_shadow_ wrote:MichaelB, can you confirm if the "here's to old England" line sounds properly integrated in the mix on the UK BD, i.e., as it always did in other releases before it was summarily deleted on the Warner DVD? The insertion of the line on the Warner Archive BD sounds like they just cut in a clip recorded on a Walkman. Also, the "remastering" of "Memo from Turner" eliminated some electric guitar riffs, especially noticeable in the cut to Dennis playing air drums close after Turner's line, as it punctuated his movement, so I wonder if that might have been restored.
Yes you're right Shadow, Warner UK have used the same audio source as the US blu for the 'Memo From Turner' sequence which buries the lead guitar in the mix under the bass....and yes the "here's to old England" sounds inserted from a lesser source alas.

I've just checked the UK blu against a dvd I recorded off the BBC years ago.....perhaps Warner would like to borrow it to fix this, they'd obviously need to correct the pitch as it's a PAL disc, i'm amazed they never fixed this they must have a source for this if the BBC broadcast it.

Other than that, a nice disc much preferable to the US. I hope Warner UK correct this like they did with their 'Get Carter' blu.

runcible

#148 Post by runcible » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 pm

The mess with the audio - in the greatest scene in the whole film - makes this release completely irrelevant and a total waste of time. I will stick to my copy burnt from an old VHS tape - it sounds so much better.

I still can't believe they could make such a pig's ear of this.

DeprongMori

#149 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Argh! Please give the rights over to Criterion or Arrow or someone who will make the effort to actually get this right for a change. Not only the audio, but someone committed to sifting their way through all the tiny cuts to the film itself that were made over the years to appease various censors.

This will be my third purchase of this film, and they still muck it up.

Adrian Jones

#150 Post by Adrian Jones » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 pm

There is a chance Warner UK might correct this, like they previously did with their 'Get Carter' blu. I urge anyone interested in seeing this blu corrected to contact Warner Bros. They were receptive in the case of 'Get Carter' and they have fixed the other audio issues present on the US 'Performance' blu already.

Here are their contact details, it's worth a try

WBCustomerServices@technicolor.com