Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon

Discuss TV shows old and new.
movielocke

Re: Game of Thrones (Spoilers Within)

#126 Post by movielocke » Fri May 06, 2016 12:46 am

All the women seem to be set up to break bad this year, though Sansa is a question mark in that regard.

I'm still holding out hope that Jon snow is the child of Ned and a camp follower named Wylla, as Ned said, and that there is no magical king semen from rheagar targaryen or magical stark womb from Lyanna to make Jon genetically super / prophesied chosen one. That's the narrative rug I want yanked out from under fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

knives

#127 Post by knives » Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 am

Assuming Martin and co care anymore about the historical basis for the show isn't that theory automatically a no.

SpiderBaby

#128 Post by SpiderBaby » Fri May 06, 2016 2:48 am

I like the fan theory that Lyanna actually had twins (Jon Snow and Meera Reed), creating an option for the 'dragon has three heads' theory. They split the kids up between Ned and Howland Reed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#129 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 08, 2016 10:00 pm

GREAT episode, and a comforting promise that the show can still go on right-headed even when it's no longer directly cribbing from Martin's words. What a joy to see actual humor and grace notes and personality again

YnEoS

#130 Post by YnEoS » Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 pm

I agree, I thought this episode was quite strong. I think the show runners have shown they're capable of adding good material in the past. I believe all the scenes between Tywin and Arya weren't from the books, and those were some of my favorites in the series. And, Even though I wasn't a big fan of season 5, it apparently was more focused than the books which I heard introduced many new characters at that point.

Where I think I dislike their decisions is with their sometimes sadistic streak, which usually shows up a lot through Ramsay like with the changes with Sansa and the unnecessarily extended Theon torture. I'm a little bit nervous about Ramsay having prisoners again, but at least Osha is a lot more capable than his previous victims, so hopefully that won't be as bad as past stuff.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#131 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Oh, I agree, the show has long been able to bring something to the table, I was just worried after the first two episodes of this season were so disappointing that the contradictory rushed inertness might be the reigning tone going forward, but this episode had actual life and character to it beyond the plot necessities. Just compare Tyrion last week, with his embarrassing writers trying too hard dragon monologue and this week's far more in character and non-pandering extended comedy sketch, it's night and day

Trees

#132 Post by Trees » Mon May 09, 2016 12:55 am

A pretty solid entry, though somewhat meandering in places. The opening scene with Jon Snow coming back to life was probably my favorite. Ser Davos can always be relied on for solid advice: "Good, now go fail again." The humor with the wildlings and resurrected Jon Snow was perfect.

With all of this methodical buildup and all of the converging storylines, one has to assume there is going to be serious sh#t hitting the fan later this season.

knives

#133 Post by knives » Mon May 09, 2016 1:54 am

Must be the return of Sam that has them back in the right mood. I do love how it seems like they're just reversing as quickly as possible as much of last season as they can.

YnEoS

#134 Post by YnEoS » Sun May 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Wow, didn't realize how much I wanted some of the Starks to finally get back together until this episode. Really glad the storylines are progressing faster and hopefully as more characters meet up we'll see more progress in each episode and less catching on on every corner of the world.

Trees

#135 Post by Trees » Mon May 16, 2016 3:39 am

Oh yeah! Best episode yet of this season, by far.

Best line: "You didn't get much discipline as a child, did you?"

Looks like a huge battle is shaping up for Winterfell, and Ramsay is gonna get crushed; High Sparrow is about to be sent to the afterlife; and Daenerys is back on track to amass a huge army.

Roscoe

#136 Post by Roscoe » Mon May 16, 2016 7:24 am

I'm losing interest in the doings at King's Landing -- get on with it already. And Ramsay Bolton's become a bore -- his scenes are becoming too repetitious: introduction, malign negotiation, sudden stabwound, surprised victim, black comic gesture to demonstrate callousness.

No denying the episode ended with a bang though.

Trees

#137 Post by Trees » Mon May 16, 2016 7:35 am

You could say it brought the heat. :D

I'm looking forward to The Mountain making mincemeat out of the Sparrow and his followers.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#138 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:31 am

I was struck when Baelish pronounced that they were headed to the wall how long it would've taken for something like that to be pronounced, let alone to play out, in previous seasons of the show. They're definitely moving at an exhilarating clip.

nosy lena

#139 Post by nosy lena » Mon May 16, 2016 10:54 am

Trees wrote:Oh yeah! Best episode yet of this season, by far.

Best line: "You didn't get much discipline as a child, did you?"

Looks like a huge battle is shaping up for Winterfell, and Ramsay is gonna get crushed; High Sparrow is about to be sent to the afterlife; and Daenerys is back on track to amass a huge army.
yah, and next season they (all) attack westeros and in the final season daenerys and snow sing a song about fire and ice together.

snow and sansa meeting up was such a great moment.

movielocke

#140 Post by movielocke » Mon May 16, 2016 2:35 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I was struck when Baelish pronounced that they were headed to the wall how long it would've taken for something like that to be pronounced, let alone to play out, in previous seasons of the show. They're definitely moving at an exhilarating clip.
The little finger scene feels like a scene written for the first episode and bumped to episode four in the editing

miless

#141 Post by miless » Sun May 22, 2016 11:33 pm

the ending of episode five was completely devastating. One of the best moments of the series so far.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#142 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:51 pm

HBO reminding us, yet again, that time is a flat circle

nosy lena

#143 Post by nosy lena » Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 am

it's amazing how fast the show is going now.

knives

#144 Post by knives » Mon May 23, 2016 1:10 am

That's how you kill off a character. I was worried they were going to be consistently dropping the ball after the last couple.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#145 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 23, 2016 9:51 am

The reveal of Hodor's purpose reminded me a lot of Stephen King's Insomnia, where the entire plot is at the service of saving the life of one boy because he will grow up to save the life of an important person later. Bittersweet but purposeful ending for that character

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#146 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 23, 2016 1:22 pm

All the new theories about the series thanks to Bran's acts are kind of blowing my mind:
SpoilerShow
Bran is the Lord of Light, speaking to characters and players in the past, and is also Bran the Builder, who made Winterfell thousands of years prior to the actions of the series, and also the inadvertent cause of the Mad King's insanity ala Hodor?

nosy lena

#147 Post by nosy lena » Mon May 23, 2016 1:54 pm

I don't know about all of that but I do think
SpoilerShow
that Bran will cross the wall, break the spell and make it possible for the Night's King and his army to cross to the world of men, thus sparking the great war. Bran the Destroyer.
I don't remember them showing this before but I thought it was very telling that they showed how the white walkers are very fragile to fire. You know, like from dragons.

knives

#148 Post by knives » Mon May 23, 2016 3:31 pm

It was shown back when the first was killed by Sam. Anything dragon related (or as the book title suggests fire) is their weakness.

miless

#149 Post by miless » Mon May 23, 2016 3:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:All the new theories about the series thanks to Bran's acts are kind of blowing my mind:
SpoilerShow
Bran is the Lord of Light, speaking to characters and players in the past, and is also Bran the Builder, who made Winterfell thousands of years prior to the actions of the series, and also the inadvertent cause of the Mad King's insanity ala Hodor?
SpoilerShow
Bran is the blue-eyed giant (whom all men live in the eye of) that Robb mentioned as one of Old Nan's preposterous stories.
or that Bran is the many-faced-god, giving orders to the faceless men

Trees

#150 Post by Trees » Mon May 23, 2016 7:21 pm

This just keeps getting better and better. Loved the scene with Jorah and Daenerys. :cry: