Discuss TV shows old and new.

Trees

Re: Game of Thrones (Spoilers Within)

#152 Post by Trees » Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Looks like the High Sparrow is gonna get plucked next week. \:D/

Mr Sausage

#153 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Like any story involving time travel, I wonder how the loop got started, if there was a version where Bran altered the past before dying, ensuring a paradoxical survival.

Disappointed in the origin story of the white walkers, tho'. Feels bathetic to learn they are weapons run amok.

I felt very sad at Hodor's fate, but also angry since, as best I can tell, his life was sacrificed rather than given freely as a sacrifice. A larger picture overshadowing individual human life. I suspect I find this more troubling than the show will.

jbeall

#154 Post by jbeall » Tue May 24, 2016 4:45 pm

For me, Bran right now is the worst person in Westeros, so he's got a lot to atone for. (This probably speaks to how upset I was at Hodor's sacrifice, for the reason Sausage names).

starmanof51

#155 Post by starmanof51 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Like any story involving time travel
I sure hope there's no more of that. Ghost of Christmas Past stuff is welcome, but no more touching stuff.
Mr Sausage wrote:Disappointed in the origin story of the white walkers, tho'. Feels bathetic to learn they are weapons run amok.
Me too. I liked the idea of a world evolving multiple types of biped intelligence, each with their own culture and agenda. Very much lessens them now. I guess the Children of the Forest are still that, but we may have seen the last of them.

YnEoS

#156 Post by YnEoS » Sun May 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Loved this episode, just a few points to make.

I'm sure there's going to be more to it, but just to be overly worrisome until next episode, I certainly hope all the Bravos teasing with Arya doesn't get tossed to the side so easily.

Speculation: Starting to think there might be something to the Bran influencing the mad king theory. In the visions they seemed to connect the mad king yelling "burn them all" with the white walkers, so perhaps he had some kind of vision or influence from the future and mean burn all the white walkers, but the people around him took the orders as burn everyone in king's landing?

Trees

#157 Post by Trees » Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Slightly disappointed. Too much Sam. Instead of seeing the Sparrow get crushed, he wins yet again. :( The big reuniting with the dragons came at an odd, uneventful moment. It seemed like the producers were trying to force a "great moment" into existence, mainly through overdramatic music and overacting. But it didn't work for me. The hut burning down a couple episodes ago was far more dramatic.

7/10

PfR73

#158 Post by PfR73 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 am

YnEoS wrote:Speculation: Starting to think there might be something to the Bran influencing the mad king theory. In the visions they seemed to connect the mad king yelling "burn them all" with the white walkers, so perhaps he had some kind of vision or influence from the future and mean burn all the white walkers, but the people around him took the orders as burn everyone in king's landing?
I think all the Mad King stuff in the visions was to alert Bran (and remind viewers) about the stockpiles of wildfire underneath King's Landing. I think that will prove to be useful (along with dragons, Valyrian steel, & dragonglass) in fighting the walkers.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#159 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 pm

So, we are all agreed that Arya set the Waif up with the help of her new actress ally in order to fool her into thinking she's mortally wounded (stage effects or something), rite

Also, was this the first episode to have a pre-credit scene? Must admit I was surprised to see the Hound back, and that Ian McShane's much-teased role was a one-shot

knives

#160 Post by knives » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:30 pm

I kind of don't care at this point because where they've taken her story arc is the least interesting route I can think of. The Hound was very nice though and I'm genuinely interested to see where they take that.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#161 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:33 pm

knives wrote:I kind of don't care at this point because where they've taken her story arc is the least interesting route I can think of. The Hound was very nice though and I'm genuinely interested to see where they take that.
I haven't seen this episode yet, but the longstanding theory is that
SpoilerShow
The Hound and the Mountain will stand against eachother at Cersei's trial by combat for the faith.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#162 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:So, we are all agreed that Arya set the Waif up with the help of her new actress ally in order to fool her into thinking she's mortally wounded (stage effects or something), rite
I don't know, man, that shivving looked pretty legit to me. Having seen the production values that particular troupe devoted to their fart noises and set design, I doubt they could have fooled a professional assassin. Also, if that was the case, Arya had no reason to expose herself during her walk down that Bravosi (?) street, looking like someone who really needed some medical attention.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#163 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Unless she's leaving an intentional blood trail to trick the Waif into coming after her on her own chosen turf (perhaps some dark storeroom etc)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#164 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:Unless she's leaving an intentional blood trail to trick the Waif into coming after her on her own chosen turf (perhaps some dark storeroom etc)
True, though she could be doing that even if she was actually injured. I would be pretty disappointed if the actress theory is correct, but it's plausible enough, I guess.

Speaking of bad decisions by Stark women, that request for aid by Sansa can only lead to bad places. She really should know better by now, however desperate she is.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#165 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:55 pm

But, maybe Littlefinger does feel remorse, as his initial intel to her was accurate. Besides, he always backs a winner, it would be only fitting for him to about-face here

willoneill

#167 Post by willoneill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:Also, was this the first episode to have a pre-credit scene? Must admit I was surprised to see the Hound back, and that Ian McShane's much-teased role was a one-shot
The pilot also had a cold open.

aox

#168 Post by aox » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:23 pm

I believe there is one cold open per season.

miless

#169 Post by miless » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:47 pm

The cold open has so far only been used for season openers (I think this is to mirror the structure of the books which oft begin with a prologue). Seasons 1, 3, 4, and 5 all begin with a cold open.

Kracker

#170 Post by Kracker » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:44 am

Hmm I don't remember season 3 having a cold open nor the flashback at the start of season 5 being one. There was the pilot and beginning of season 4 (Tywin melting down Ned's sword)
They did a cold open for this episode because they didn't want people seeing Rory McCann's name in the opening credits before the big reveal.

Trees

#171 Post by Trees » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:53 pm

miless

#172 Post by miless » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:37 am

Kracker wrote:Hmm I don't remember season 3 having a cold open nor the flashback at the start of season 5 being one. There was the pilot and beginning of season 4 (Tywin melting down Ned's sword)
They did a cold open for this episode because they didn't want people seeing Rory McCann's name in the opening credits before the big reveal.
The season 3 cold open was Sam being rescued at the fist of the first men leading up to a fairly rousing speech from Jeor Mormont, and the "Maggy the frog" scene in season 5 was definitely a cold open, too.
In total agreement about the likely rationale for a cold open in this instance, although I do think it helped with the structure of this particular episode.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#173 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Book spoiler
SpoilerShow
They're setting up the Hound to meet Lady Stoneheart, right? So much talk of Catelyn this ep too, almost like a refresher for audiences...

SpiderBaby

#174 Post by SpiderBaby » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:27 pm

I personally don't think so, as
SpoilerShow
Beric Dondarrion needed to give his life in order for Lady Stoneheart to be. I think with this Hound and Brotherhood team up, she's cut (which is a shock, considering a zombie version of a fan favorite is easy TV).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Maybe they were just playing viewers. They're pretty good this season at defying fan guesses and speculation (though, to be fair, there's a reason no one anticipated Arya's entire seasons-long plot to have no real payoff here)