Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Arrow Films

#1251 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:19 am

domino harvey wrote:Outside of the Rivette, hasn't that been true of most/all of Arrow's recent limited editions?
Fassbinder, Taviani, Yoshida, Allen are all limited edition sets. And in general, the trend seems to be towards more, not less limited edition, so just wanted to double check!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1252 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:21 am

Drucker wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Outside of the Rivette, hasn't that been true of most/all of Arrow's recent limited editions?
Fassbinder, Taviani, Yoshida, Allen are all limited edition sets. And in general, the trend seems to be towards more, not less limited edition, so just wanted to double check!
The Fassbinder titles aren't going OOP though, you're just losing the book and slipcover, which seemed to be what you were talking about with first edition booklets

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1253 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 am

I meant to say, with the exception of the booklets for certain first edition titles just announced, none of today's announcements are limited edition sets.

Edit: and it seems The Burning Steelbook is indeed limited.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1254 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Arrow said on Facebook : AHP Vol. 2 - 2017.

bergelson

#1255 Post by bergelson » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:41 pm

AHP?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1256 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:45 pm

American Horror Project

monkeybread44

#1257 Post by monkeybread44 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm

About booklets: I took advantage of the last Arrow sale but unfortunately booklets for Cinema Paradiso [25th Anniversary Remastered Edition] and Big Trouble in Little China were not included while they should be according to Arrow's website, where I purchased these Blu-rays:

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index. ... uct_id=283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Italian cinema expert Pasquale Iannone, illustrated with original archive stills
http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index. ... uct_id=285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by John Kenneth Muir, author of The Films of John Carpenter, a re-print of an article on the effects of the film from American Cinematographer, illustrated with archive stills and posters
The quotes above are not present on my Blu-ray sleeves so I guess Arrow forgot to update their website with new information about the inclusion of a booklet being at least not a certainty on new (reprinted) releases.

Anyway I am generally happy with my purchase but I wanted cookies with sprinkles and didn't get sprinkles so I'm somewhat disappointed. Maybe Arrow can provide the booklets -at least the articles- in PDF format to those who ordered items from their site and expected booklets because the info said so.

Cheers

effigy105

#1258 Post by effigy105 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:39 pm

effigy105 wrote:Is there any chance of seeing some Ermanno Olmi on Blu-Ray?

I admit, I'm clueless on the state of materials and rights for his films, so perhaps there are very real barriers. Arrow have Tree of Wooden Clogs on DVD already while Il Posto is likely tied up by Mr. Bongo, who have a DVD. Still, I'd love to see more of his work and re-watch the little I have seen in better quality. I Fidanzati is exquisite and not available in the UK at all.
Criterion answer the call with a Blu-Ray of The Tree of Wooden Clogs sourced from a new 4K restoration. Does anyone know if Arrow still have the rights in the UK?

rockysds

#1259 Post by rockysds » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Fantasia Fest's Instagram:
Takashi Miike being interviewed at #FantasiaFest by @arrowvideo for several upcoming releases!

dwk

#1260 Post by dwk » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:16 pm

A month or two back, Marc Walkow mentioned that he re-watched Dead or Alive for a job just before he interviewed Riki Takeuchi, so it seems the Miike releases will, at least, include the Dead or Alive Trilogy.

Ribs

#1261 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:27 am

Full UK/US announcements coming tomorrow.

knives

#1262 Post by knives » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:24 pm

What's this mean for the Something Weird releases?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1263 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:30 am

Ribs

#1264 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:44 pm

New announcements coming this coming week, Video on Friday and Academy on Monday per usual.

Somewhat interestingly, this means that both Criterion and Arrow Academy will be revealing their presumably killer November slates on the same day.

dda1996a

#1265 Post by dda1996a » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Ribs wrote:New announcements coming this coming week, Video on Friday and Academy on Monday per usual.

Somewhat interestingly, this means that both Criterion and Arrow Academy will be revealing their presumably killer November slates on the same day.
Unless criterion is late as usual

rockysds

#1266 Post by rockysds » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Arrow Video November Titles:
UK only: Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf and To Live and Die in L.A.
US only: C.H.U.D.
In both territories: The Initiation and The Driller Killer (with Mulberry St. included).

knives

#1267 Post by knives » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:20 pm

rockysds wrote:Arrow Video November Titles:
The Driller Killer (with Mulberry St. included).
Wait, is Mulberry St. an extra? Why?

rockysds

#1268 Post by rockysds » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Yeah, full specs here. I figure it's mostly a case of it being much easier to sell a packed release of The Driller Killer than Mulberry St. on its own. I have no complaints.

knives

#1269 Post by knives » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm

rockysds wrote:Yeah, full specs here. I figure it's mostly a case of it being much easier to sell a packed release of The Driller Killer than Mulberry St. on its own. I have no complaints.
Oops, I mistook it for a different Mulberry St. Too bad the shorts from the previous disc couldn't make the cut.

Ribs

#1270 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:14 am

Recognize I may have set a strangely high bar for myself, but I'm a bit surprised to not have a box for November. I guess Arrow has past history of making surprise announcements on random days later in the month so it's not a totally lost cause but I'd expected some kind of big exciting release of something substantial a la Rivette or Yoshida for the Holiday season.

MichaelB

#1271 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:30 am

Ribs wrote:Recognize I may have set a strangely high bar for myself, but I'm a bit surprised to not have a box for November. I guess Arrow has past history of making surprise announcements on random days later in the month so it's not a totally lost cause but I'd expected some kind of big exciting release of something substantial a la Rivette or Yoshida for the Holiday season.
Arrow is releasing three massive box sets this autumn - Woody Allen vol 1 (of three), Dekalog and Herschell Gordon Lewis. Has there ever been a point when they've put out more than that in a three-month period?

Ribs

#1272 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:39 am

Realize my wording said outright that stuff wasn't substantial - didn't mean it like that, sorry, meant along the lines of releasing-unavailable-material, which the Allen set certainly doesn't fit though Dekalog (and more so its supplements) fits that bill. I was looking at Academy and Video as having their own markets that didn't really impact one another as directly; Rivette and Battles being originally pencilled in for a week apart led me to believe that, though I can see it was clearly a bit of trying to get the stuff out in time for Holidays.

MichaelB

#1273 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:46 am

Surely the near-simultaneous release of Dekalog (Arrow Academy) and Herschell Gordon Lewis (Arrow Video) is the 2016 equivalent?

And of course Rivette ended up being delayed till January, as it proved a more logistically complicated project than originally envisaged.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1274 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:46 pm

From the latest newsletter:
Ever wanted to join the Arrow team? Well the good news is we are hiring! Team Arrow are currently looking to employ a full time Customer Service Representative. Find out more and apply here.

In other news, we are pleased to reveal that we are teaming up with the awesome folks at The Prince Charles Cinema in London to bring you... The Arrow Video Club! Our aim is to create a regular film club where you can meet some awesome like-minded people and enjoy films which are handpicked from our catalogue by members of the Arrow team. For our first screening - on September 29th - we bring Joe Dante's classic Matinee to the big screen. Hope to see you there!

JamesF

#1275 Post by JamesF » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:41 am

Arrow listed as the UK distributor for Phantasm: Remastered on the London Film Festival website, which presumably means a boxset release of all five Phantasm films is on the way.