Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nitin

Re: Twilight Time

#2551 Post by nitin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:Surprised they didn't just pair You'll Never Get Rich with You Were Never Lovelier. Both are minor musicals and I doubt I'll upgrade.
They said on Facebook that they have the rights to the latter but music clearance issues are holding up a release.

beamish13

#2552 Post by beamish13 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:24 am

Our Man in Havana is indeed a fantastic film. Carol Reed's exceptional mastery of widescreen photography is on full display here, and
Guinness is terrific. One of a number of films from Sony's "Martini Movies" line that I thought would make great Criterion pick-ups, including
Richard Rush's Getting Straight, The Anderson Tapes and Gumshoe.

Cronenfly

#2553 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:45 am

I have little doubt someone in the UK will give the Reed a superior release, and I'd add Model Shop to that list of Martini Movies in need of rescue (as domino already did in the Indicator thread). The Anderson Tapes is already forthcoming from Indicator, FYI, which should be as close to Criterion treatment as that title gets (ditto The New Centurions, another Martini salvage job).

pointless

#2554 Post by pointless » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 am

Two for the Road (Stanley Donen, 1967)

Release Date: January 17th, 2017.
Pre-order date: Wednesday, January 4th at 4 pm EST.

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track
    Audio Commentary with Film Historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
    Audio Commentary with Director Stanley Donen
    Fox Movietone Newsreel
    Original Theatrical Trailer
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pointless

#2555 Post by pointless » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:35 am

Comes a Horseman (Alan J. Pakula, 1978)

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track (with some effects)
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TIVOLI

#2556 Post by TIVOLI » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34 pm

My order from 12/05 is listed as "pending". Has anyone else experienced recent shipping delays?

captveg

#2557 Post by captveg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:38 pm

They literally have 2-3 employees filling all SAE orders. Long processing times have been common.

TIVOLI

#2558 Post by TIVOLI » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for the information, captveg. I'll be patient.

pointless

#2559 Post by pointless » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:41 pm

The Mad Magician 3D (John Brahm, 1954)
Also Includes: Pardon My Backfire 3D (Jules White, 1953) and Spooks! 3D (Jules White, 1953)

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track
    Audio Commentary with Film Historians David Del Valle and Steven Peros
    Master of Fright: Conjuring the Mad Magician
Image Image

Booklet art:
Last edited by pointless on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pointless

#2560 Post by pointless » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Join us at http://www.twilighttimemovies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this afternoon at 4 pm EST for the opportunity to grab a copy of MURPHY'S LAW signed by the glamorous ANGEL TOMPKINS! When the promotion goes "live" just load up your cart with a minimum of $149.75 worth of TT product and the FREE signed copy will automatically be added - then proceed immediately to check out otherwise it will disappear -- these are expected to go fast - so don't delay - be there at 4 pm EST / 1 pm Pacific - sharp!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2561 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:13 pm

pointless wrote:Comes a Horseman (Alan J. Pakula, 1978)

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music Track (with some effects)
Just posted in our TT blu-ray catalogue section:

COMES A HORSEMAN (1978).

A NOTE ABOUT THE TRANSFER: while Twilight Time believes Comes a Horseman to be a fine, and generally overlooked hidden treasure from the 1970s, and worthy of a second look by Blu-ray aficionados, we recognize it has not survived in the greatest of shape. We hope that those of you who care enough to buy a copy will forgive the unusually high (for a TT release) level of “speckling” (minus density) and general debris that mar the work of master cinematographer, Gordon Willis, in this hi-def presentation. We have rejected many other titles and transfers for similar reasons, but after some consideration decided this film was too important to let go. In light of this fact, we are offering it at a reduced price to encourage those on the fence about it. TT strives always to strike a balance between a duty to preserve the legacy of film history, as well as presenting the very best version of a film in hi-def as possible under the circumstances.
This movie is a piece of shit and they're delusional to claim a false legacy for it, but at least it's cheaper for those who want a bad film to look bad (where's rennault?)

hearthesilence

#2562 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:34 pm

pointless wrote:Comes a Horseman (Alan J. Pakula, 1978)

A NOTE ABOUT THE TRANSFER: while Twilight Time recognizes that Comes a Horseman has not survived in the greatest of shape, the movie is a piece of shit. TT strives to preserve the legacy of film history, be it a gem or a turd, and in light of this fact, we are offering it at a reduced price.
Fixed.

knives

#2563 Post by knives » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:10 pm

I actually like the movie as a little soap opera.

oh yeah

#2564 Post by oh yeah » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:53 am

I haven't seen the movie, but I love Pakula's early-mid 70s work, and I'm always keen to see something else from him anywhere near as good as those. Even if it's not that, I imagine Willis's work alone makes it worth a view?

Is any post-'76 Pakula flick even any good, though? Besides Presumed Innocent, which is okay. I often hear Rollover touted as somehow prophetic or incisive in its politics, and Pelican Brief at least seems like a decent piece of entertainment. Not sure about the rest, however. His career appears to be a giant case of missed opportunity, talent oddly squandered. I'm certain that the genius of Klute and Parallax does not lie only with Willis, that Pakula in particular had a great gift with actors which imbued every role -- from the stars down to the smallest bit-player -- with an electricity, a pathos, or a humanity that made every scene memorable. A bit like a more compassionate, New Hollywood Hitchcock, in the way he coaxed these eccentric, very memorable little parts from his actors, the same way Hitchcock gives you the rubber plant-watering hotel-keeper.
Last edited by oh yeah on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2565 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:00 am

No, Comes a Horseman is a huge zero of a movie. I know, I was once like you and thought it had to have value given the pedigree in front of and behind the camera, but nah. Re: later Pakula, Rollover is racist garbage (though prescient and of its time, so of some contextual value maybe-- it is handily the worst Pakula film I've seen), Pelican Brief is a lowkey but pretty good Grisham adaptation that doubles as a pre-YouTube supercut of Julia Roberts running, and Starting Over, scripted by James L Brooks, is hilarious and wonderful (and I am contractually obligated to bring up that Candice Bergen has the funniest seduction scene in film history)

oh yeah

#2566 Post by oh yeah » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 am

domino harvey wrote:No, Comes a Horseman is a huge zero of a movie. I know, I was once like you and thought it had to have value given the pedigree in front of and behind the camera, but nah. Re: later Pakula, Rollover is racist garbage (though prescient and of its time, so of some contextual value maybe-- it is handily the worst Pakula film I've seen), Pelican Brief is a lowkey but pretty good Grisham adaptation that doubles as a pre-YouTube supercut of Julia Roberts running, and Starting Over, scripted by James L Brooks, is hilarious and wonderful (and I am contractually obligated to bring up that Candice Bergen has the funniest seduction scene in film history)
Thanks, I'll definitely seek out Starting Over. (And probably Rollover, too, just because I've heard so much hushed, enthused chatter about it that I can't resist). Pakula's gift with actors makes me think a Pakula comedy could be pretty successful.

I recall Steven Bach's Final Cut opening with an amusing anecdote about basically how depressing it was, as an exec at UA, to witness the dreary anti-reaction to the first few showings of Horseman. And on further thought the idea of a Pakula Western has always seemed inherently "off" to me, which is why my hopes for the film always rested on Willis's shoulders.

Since we all seem to agree Pakula's a talented director, does anyone have a theory as to what happened to him? Most of the great New Hollywood auteurs dropped off in the 80s/90s, sure, but most at least managed a couple great films after the decline, if not an outright "comeback" a la Altman. Why not Pakula? Did his tastes just lead him astray, perhaps? (In addition to the usual difficulty of getting an intelligent adult-targeted picture made, post-Heaven's Gate.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2567 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:27 am

I second Starting Over's wonderfulness.

knives

#2568 Post by knives » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:50 am

swo17 wrote:I second Starting Over's wonderfulness.
I'll third. My favorite Pakula on some days.

jazzo

#2569 Post by jazzo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:37 am

Fourthed...?

Werewolf by Night

#2570 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:58 pm

No love for Dream Lover, shot by Sven Nykvist with a jazz flute-playing Kristy McNichol in the lead?

knives

#2571 Post by knives » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:00 pm

When was that announced?

jazzo

#2572 Post by jazzo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:No love for Dream Lover, shot by Sven Nykvist with a jazz flute-playing Kristy McNichol in the lead?
I prefer a bit more Madchen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109665/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in my Dream Lovers. And even then, it was really hard to sit through.

Wow, I just veered waaaaaay off topic.

PfR73

#2573 Post by PfR73 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm

knives wrote:When was that announced?
I don't think it was announced, I think it was being mentioned because people were discussing various Pakula films.

knives

#2574 Post by knives » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:33 pm

What's he got to do with it?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2575 Post by cdnchris » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Uh, because of Comes a Horseman