Movie Theater Experiences

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
thirtyframesasecond

Re: Movie Theater Experiences

#801 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Watching Get Out tonight...
SpoilerShow
an absolutely HUGE cheer when Rod emerges from the police car at the end

knives

#802 Post by knives » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 pm

What I loved is that my theater was stunned into silence before that reveal presumably because black man + white woman + cops is a fairly uneasy thing. The reveal turned that tension into relief though.

Aunt Peg

#803 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:08 am

Bit of a trial but I have finally got to Stephane Brize's latest 'A Woman's Life'.

First attempt on Thursday 9 March 2017 failed as the film, which was being screen digitally, like most things these days would not play.

So purchased tickets to the next screen today (Sunday) 19 March 2017. Waiting in the foyer ready to go in when the fire alarm goes off and the entire complex was evacuated. We hung around and half an hour later people were allowed back into the cinema. We took our seats and then the film started playing without any image on the screen. Our first thoughts were "Oh no, not a repeat of the other screening - we'll never get to see the film". Thankfully someone was able to correct it, the film got started from the beginning and we finally got to see it.

Am very glad that I did see it as it's one of the most impressive films I have seen in recent months and it Stephane Brize's best film to date.

willoneill

#804 Post by willoneill » Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 pm

hearthesilence

#805 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 16, 2017 10:50 pm

When simply breaking up is not enough to satiate the hate...

cdnchris
Site Admin

#806 Post by cdnchris » Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 pm

I admit the "it wasn't bothering anyone" thing annoys me, but the guy's a nut job. I'm with her on the protective order.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#807 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Movies are a terrible first date anyways. That's a couple hours you could spend figuring out if it's a good fit (and if it's not, it will likely take much less than two hours to figure it out)

calculus entrophy

#808 Post by calculus entrophy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:56 pm

I agree. But having said that, it looks like they actually did figure it out quite quickly.

Perhaps he could view it from a more positive perspective; an efficient mode of multitasking, where he watched a movie while simultaneously eliminating one possible future failed relationship.

It took me 10 years to achieve the same thing, and I had to watch the Notebook a dozen times, so things could be worse.

I can't rationalize or condone his "contact the little sister" attack vector, unless perhaps he was smitten.

Ribs

#810 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 pm

A person behind me tonight was telling his friend he loves the obscure Kurosawa movies no one ever talks about like High and Low

knives

#811 Post by knives » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 pm

To be fair it is obscure compared to his most famous works.

The Narrator Returns

#812 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Were these guys doing an episode of I Love Films?

willoneill

#813 Post by willoneill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 pm

I was at a free screening of Scanners the other night, as part of my local theatre's series in honour of Canada's 150th birthday. The two gentlemen behind me were having a rather pretentious argument over whether the previous week's screenings, a series of shorts, were from the 1970s or the 1980s. These were the shorts: Expo 67 Shorts

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#814 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 am

I was intending to see Baby Driver last night with a friend and foolishly used Fandango to check showtimes, only to see that George Romero's Dawn of the Dead 3D was being screened at a theater near my house. While somewhat reticent about the 3D conversion, I convinced my friend - who had never seen the film in any form - to change our plans in order to check it out. I buy tickets online, arrive at the theater, and quickly notice that the poster outside the theater is not from the classic 1978 Romero version, but instead the 2004 Zack Snyder version with Ving Rhames and Sarah Polley. Of course, it quickly becomes clear that Fandango attached the wrong film information to the listing.

We decide to stay and watch it anyway, largely because I have fond memories of seeing this version at a midnight screening on its opening night back in college with a packed crowd of horror fans who passed flasks of liquor up and down the aisles and applauded every time someone's head exploded. The audience who showed up to last night's screening were clearly not as prepared for the film, most amusingly evidenced during the scene when we see Mekhi Phifer's infected and pregnant Russian girlfriend's soon-to-be zombie baby push against her stomach from the inside, and someone five rows behind us loudly moaned, "Oh, goddammit!" Brought the house down.

carmilla mircalla

#815 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:I buy tickets online, arrive at the theater, and quickly notice that the poster outside the theater is not from the classic 1978 Romero version, but instead the 2004 Zack Snyder version with Ving Rhames and Sarah Polley. Of course, it quickly becomes clear that Fandango attached the wrong film information to the listing.
This is hilarious. I am still fond of the 2004 version it really did feel like it was adding its own thing rather than be a straight money maker. Anyways how was the 3-D?

DarkImbecile

#816 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm

It wasnt even in 3D! Fandango's botched listing was for last year's 3D conversion of the original; when I thought that's what I'd be seeing, I did a quick search to see what the reaction to that was at the time and it seemed positive. Apparently the rights owner spent $5-6 million on the conversion, so that's a sign that they might have done it right.

carmilla mircalla

#817 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:It wasnt even in 3D! Fandango's botched listing was for last year's 3D conversion of the original; when I thought that's what I'd be seeing, I did a quick search to see what the reaction to that was at the time and it seemed positive. Apparently the rights owner spent $5-6 million on the conversion, so that's a sign that they might have done it right.
I am sitting here laughing, not at you but at the disorganized mishap on the part of Fandango

Morbii

#818 Post by Morbii » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 pm

On the plus side, I'm on the side of carmilla that the remake was actually pretty damn good (a rarity, for sure), despite forgetting all about rigor mortis.

Admittedly I'd still have felt stiffed, though!

thirtyframesasecond

#819 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Pretty sure the remake has Phil from Modern Family, pre Modern Family obviously, playing a complete slime ball.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#820 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:31 pm

So does Morning Glory, which kind of sounds like it could be a zombie movie title too

DarkImbecile

#821 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:29 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:Pretty sure the remake has Phil from Modern Family, pre Modern Family obviously, playing a complete slime ball.
This is true, but even more surprisingly: Doug Stamper from House of Cards as a redneck security guard named CJ with some fantastic facial hair.

That's Phil in the background, looking like a douche even out of focus.

colinr0380

#822 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:46 pm

Also don't forget Matt Frewer (Max Headroom himself!) in a small role as yet another expendable dad figure in that film.

I remember being really disappointed with the 2004 Dawn of the Dead (aside from the fantastic first sequence with Sarah Polley's character getting to the mall, at which point she almost disappears from the rest of the film) until I started thinking of it as less a remake of Romero's film than as a zombie version of Aliens! (Which makes Polley's character the equivalent of Ripley, relatively sidelined until the band of marines/survivors gets whittled down at the end) There's even the equivalent scene of Gorman dragging Vasquez through the tunnels from Aliens! And the depressive coda intercut with the end credits feels like this film's equivalent of the opening sequence of Alien 3!

I ended up quite enjoying it from that perspective! Plus of course that makes Ty Burrell aka "Phil from Modern Family" (playing the character who has "will get a horribly ironic death for being a scumbag" written all over him) this film's equivalent of Burke in Aliens!

John Shade

Re: Movie-Watching Situations Made Awkward by Black Hat

#823 Post by John Shade » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 am

This thread makes me wonder if there's a general thread about odd happenings at the movie theater? I think I stumbled on one before. I wonder if any of our knowledgeable posters know when the culture of movie-going changed. Scorsese always talks, when he reminisces about going to movies in his childhood, about walking into various theaters and people showing up late to movies and just watching them to the end then again to the point where they started. Was Psycho the point when things changed or was it gradual? I've read of the French New Wavers also being of the type to just walk in and out of movies.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Movie-Watching Situations Made Awkward by Black Hat

#824 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am

JohnShade wrote:This thread makes me wonder if there's a general thread about odd happenings at the movie theater? I think I stumbled on one before. I wonder if any of our knowledgeable posters know when the culture of movie-going changed. Scorsese always talks, when he reminisces about going to movies in his childhood, about walking into various theaters and people showing up late to movies and just watching them to the end then again to the point where they started. Was Psycho the point when things changed or was it gradual? I've read of the French New Wavers also being of the type to just walk in and out of movies.
You are here now.

Big Ben

#825 Post by Big Ben » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 am

You've seen disruptive people, you've encountered "fatty olds" (???) but have you ever encountered "Loud man who announces his proclivities"?

Sitting in the theater for Atomic Blonde in the dump known as AMC Theaters in Great Falls Montana a gentleman loudly proclaimed during a sequence involving Charlize Theron and Sofia Boutella that he forgot to bring his lube and then proceeded to talk (albeit quieter) about how hot he found the scene. I happened to be sitting in front of the gentleman. Aside from the obvious interruption I cannot fathom why anyone would do this in a public space.

This sadly is technically not the worst thing to happen in this building however but that's a story for another day.